Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

2020 Randonnees

Old 08-24-20, 09:34 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Speaking of climbs, the 1000k that I'll be riding at the end of this week features this gem of a segment. Sure it's short, but on a 1000k with all the stuff that we'll be carrying... ouch. On the bright side, it is the tallest bump on the route (n.b. the route is titled March 2020 because that's when the ride was originally supposed to happen, but that was The Before Times).

Last edited by atwl77; 08-24-20 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-25-20, 08:21 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Looking at the whole route like that makes that climb look really scary.

The 1000k I did last year had a silly amount of climbing on the second day and even the flattish sections were mostly uphill. In retrospect, it might not have been the best ride for me. Some of it might be interesting in the daylight, but it was nice not having any traffic at all on a couple of the climbs.
Old 08-25-20, 03:56 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
Speaking of climbs, the 1000k that I'll be riding at the end of this week features this gem of a segment. Sure it's short, but on a 1000k with all the stuff that we'll be carrying... ouch. On the bright side, it is the tallest bump on the route (n.b. the route is titled March 2020 because that's when the ride was originally supposed to happen, but that was The Before Times).
LOL that looks awesome. I checked out the streetview and it's pretty nice there. I'd be lucky to make it up that hill.
Old 08-31-20, 10:37 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Completed my 1000k over the weekend. That infamous climb that I mentioned earlier? Yeah, it's that nasty.

My plan was to do roughly 400km per day, or 20 hours riding, with 4 hours rest or sleep in between. This would make the last day much more bearable, with a target completion time of 60h if I manage to get back by 7pm Sunday.

The ride started at about 7am on a nice Friday morning. There were around slightly over 30 participants registered for the 1000k, which isn't much. But tomorrow, same time, will be a 600k and the following day, 300k, so we're expecting to meet some of the 300k and 600k riders on Sunday heading back to the finishing point.

There were three others riding with me, though like most brevets impromptu grouping come and go along the way.

First 40km of coastline roads was nice and flat. Then everything becomes hilly. The infamous climb starts around 100km. My lightest gear combination is a 32T in front and 32T at the back, so I thought I might try to keep it in Zone 2, slow but steady pace all the way up, but nope, the hill would have none of that. Even at the upper range of Zone 2 power, my cadence was around 35rpm, sweating buckets, heart rate nice and deep in Z5. Experienced muscle cramps in both legs -- but fortunately not both at the same time!

I made it, but at great cost. Others were probably smart about saving their legs and walking up. I'll probably want lighter gearing before I try this one again.

Anyways, due to muscle cramps the rest of my day was pretty bad. It's like having a hard ceiling cap to my power, go above Z1 and the cramps threaten to return. Since the route all the way to around 380km was hilly, that wasn't very good. My appetite was also completely shot at this point though; although I tried to eat solid foods throughout the day, but my stomach couldn't handle much and so I had to rely mostly on liquids - fruit juice, soft drinks, etc. Thoughts of DNF-ing kept occuring throughout the ride, though I managed to just endure it and ride on. I reminded myself of one of the important tenets from the ultracycling people - never scratch in the PM.

It was past 3am when I reached the checkpoint at 348km, so trying to hit that 400km/20h daily target was definitely out the window. Still not too bad, finishing under 70 hours was still possible.

Slept for around 2 hours at the checkpoint - on the floor of a petrol station - and woke up feeling pretty good. Legs were definitely much better and I didn't have to worry too much about cramping anymore. Appetite was still a bit iffy, but at least I could eat a bit more than yesterday.

Things were going well until between KM450-550. Although it was pretty much flat, this is a coastal road heading south, with some annoying headwinds. That alone would be bearable, but combined hot weather, it was a painfully slow slog south. Spent a lot of time stopping to rest and shelter from the sun, and by the time we hit the 578km checkpoint it was already night time. Furthermore, the route becomes a lot hillier afterwards.

- Ais kacang - local delicacy. We searched high and low for it to deal with the heat!

It was a slow trudge towards the next checkpoint at 681km though. This was our second night of riding, so people either needed to stop for power naps or were falling asleep on the bike left and right. The hills were also covered in a relatively thick and cold mist which fogged up my glasses. Visibility was practically nil, so I had to take off my glasses to continue riding. Fortunately I could still see decently without them; I just couldn't read.

We reached the checkpoint very early in the morning. No one was around to stamp our brevet card, so I just took a photo that included the time on my Garmin. Since everyone was pretty much sleepy and tired, we decided to look for a nearby hotel, get a hot shower and put in a little bit of sleep - 90 minutes, actually. Not much, but it was a lot better than nothing.

Third day, I was feeling a lot better now. Could also eat a complete breakfast, which was very encouraging. Still had some sleepy spells throughout the day, but nothing that I couldn't get rid of with a short 5-minute break. We "lost" a member of our group that morning, he woke up late at the hotel and then claimed to have bike problems so he told us to go on without him.

We started meeting BRM300 participants along our route from 850km onwards. Most BRM600 participants would have already been ahead as their COT was 10pm that day, whereas the BRM300 riders finish by 1am the following day. For me and my group though, it looks like we were on track for a 10-11pm finish.

We did hit a bit of a snag at around 900-925km, this is a major town center and it was a big public holiday (National Day on Monday, so 3-day weekend for a lot of people). Seems like they all like to congregate at the beach, so we had to maneuver through tons of not-moving-much traffic. Not fun at all, but eventually we got out of the town center for the final leg to the finish point.

I finished at 11:07pm for an elapsed time of 64:07; I was practically smashing it on the last flat 15kms in order to get that time. At the finish, I heard there were two other BRM1000 finishers before me; the rest of my group trickled in a few minutes later. The guy we left at the hotel in the morning completed about an hour before the 10am cut-off time the following day, so all is good.

Last edited by atwl77; 08-31-20 at 10:42 AM.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 09-01-20, 08:52 AM
clasher

Congrats! Sounds like an awesome ride. Ais kacang looks like it'd be perfect in the middle of a hot ride.
Old 09-04-20, 08:41 AM
clasher

Managed to get a sanctioned 400K done, I forgot my shoes when I drove to a closer one so this one required an out-of-town stay. Done solo this time.

The start/finish was in Parry Sound so after 200K I was able to get more supplies from my hotel and I even showered and changed kit, something I've never done on a 400K before. I was trying for a 20h finish since I usually have trouble after 350km running of steam and I like to spend a lot of time stopping, so the plan this time was to make quick stops when needed and hopefully finish before midnight. I chose a 4am start. The loops are clockwise, and the southern one was the first one since it's busier roads, then the northern one to finish up.

Thunderstorms passed through the area the night before and had just finished as I was starting. I hit a few small pockets of rain but nothing major. I had clip-on fenders since the forecast wasn't firm about how much it would rain. There was a bit of headwind for the first 20km and then I was in some heavily forested hilly areas so it didn't affect me much. The first control was a photo control at ~60km, then at Gravenhurst was another one where I had a coffee and some food. There was a tailwind from there until the town of Bala, then a headwind all the way back to Parry Sound, unfortunately the road is a secondary highway so it's much more exposed than the first 100km. The morning was cool; 16C and it stayed around there for first 200km, which took me about 10 hours including the lunch and shower stop. Due to the cooler temperatures and overcast sky, I was damp all morning which is why I took a shower and changed my kit. I also ditched the fenders.

There were some really nice waterfalls on the ride, this one is near Bracebridge and the river is also dammed for hydroelectric purposes.

During my lunch stop, the weather changed drastically, and a strong westerly wind picked up and blew away all the clouds and humidity, the sun came out and I enjoyed a relatively easy 85km to the tiny town of Sundridge, at the easterly point of the northern loop. The road from Parry Sound to Sundridge is a secondary highway that was a little busy for ~25km out of Parry Sound, and it was gentle grades through some farms and many lakes like the one above. The area is a popular spot for summer holidays; fishing and boating, camping, etc. are all over the place. The towns are small though and many of the farms are abandoned. I'd never been to this part of the province so it was nice to see new places. The last ~75km of the eastern leg of the northern loop had a good paved shoulder and low traffic, but many climbs too. The wind made it fairly easy to moderate my output and I felt strong the whole time. I made it to the control in Sundridge around 6pm and found an open grocery store so I had a nice supper, loaded up with snacks and a litre of coke in my back pocket and set off to tackle the last ~115km back to the start. I knew there were two gas stations along this stretch that might be open until 9 or 10 in the evening but wasn't planning to count on them for supplies.

I wasn't sure I'd make my planned finish time since the wind was blowing still but as I made my way south through the town of Burk's Falls I noticed the wind started dying down... part of this I thought was the forest cover on the side roads and riding with the cross wind, but by the time I turned and headed westward it was pretty much done blowing. The south-bound portion of this loop was almost entirely devoid of traffic, aside from the village of Burk's Falls there was just nice pavement, beautiful rock cuts and scenic lakes.

As the shadows grew long I was on my way westward and into the evening, the road was in good shape and traffic was almost non-existent, but I kept seeing highway construction crews passing by me and after nightfall I came across where they were heading; a beaver dam had broke and flooded the road! They were in the middle of setting up signs to close the road but they let me walk through the cold water since a detour would have invovled back-tracking ~25km and adding another 50km to the day. My feet were cold after this! The nice thing about the road being closed after this stretch was that I had no traffic coming from behind me. This stretch was rolling hills with an overall downhill trend toward the end, so they didn't really dry in the dark and temperatures were 14C, finishing up at 12C at the end of the ride. This last ~50km of road was used on the Manitoulin 1000 last year and also part of it was on the Granite Anvil 1200 in 2017, so it was a lot of fun to ride these roads again and I had been keeping up a good average speed this whole section, so I finished the ride at 22:55 for an overall time of 18:55, by far a personal best for me on the 400K distance. The elevation was challenging but the grades weren't excessively steep and many of the hills are in rolling terrain so it's possible to keep up a decent average. The RWGPS for the course has the climbing around 4000m but I think it's probably closer to 3500. The massive pressure change over the course of the ride probably messed with the wahoo's barometer as it's been reading lower and lower elevation on my usual routes over the last year or so. Anyway, it was a great ride through a nice area I usually don't get out to very often.

Last edited by clasher; 09-04-20 at 08:49 AM.
Likes For clasher:
Old 09-05-20, 10:42 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
RUSA Perm #1302 (Portland-Ripplebrook-Portland) today, up into the Mt Hood National Forest. 201k with 1321 meters of climbing according to my GPS.

Nice that the new perm rules allow starting at any control. There's one just 6 miles from my house; better than 12 to the listed start/finish.

This is only my 2nd 200k on an upright bike, after ten years and 33,000 km of randonneuring on a recumbent. I've ridden this perm 4 times; twice on the bent, once on my vintage Windsor, and now once on my new Fog Cutter. I'm still working on bike fit; I'd say not ready for a 400k yet.

I had a tail/cross wind on the climb up to Ripplebrook, head/cross on the descent. A lot of the route was protected from the wind, fortunately. I probably let myself get dehydrated, maybe didn't manage my fueling so well. On the descent I stopped and collected some rushing snowmelt, and filtered it into my water bottles. First time I've done that; it worked great. I stopped for a lengthy 2nd breakfast, a quick lunch and filled my pockets with food at around 112 km, and got fluids around 185 km. I stopped a few other times to stretch out my back. Still managed 9:29 including an hour of stop time, which is the quickest I've done this perm and a decent result for me these days. 11 months ago I fractured my C3 on a bike crash, and I'm just starting to feel like I'm back.

2nd breakfast. I wasted 20 minutes, but it was tasty.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GdS57L2qaoY7f6qG8

The turnaround at Ripplebrook. Nice that it's finally open during COVID. It's 26 miles from the next store, which means 52 miles without support when this was closed.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/igroosbEEmseasfw7

Short phone video just starting the descent. Beautiful up there.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jsyEdrGbuKFRkpJz8

I didn't get any pics of the sheer rock face along the road in some parts of the National Forest. The divots in the pavement and large rocks just off the road suggest one shouldn't hang around too long in those parts.

The typical start/finish - Voodoo donuts in Portland. For me this was about 165km from my start control.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rWuhQQK5bjUrQFSJ9

My start/finish in Boring, OR, on the Springwater Trail. From here I backtrack 6 miles home.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XJfRkvxu15xEvKUT9

Last edited by downtube42; 09-05-20 at 10:45 PM.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 09-06-20, 08:55 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Originally Posted by clasher
Gotta love loops and wished my local audax club would do stuff like this. Congrats!
Old 09-12-20, 06:47 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

A bit on the late side, but I put up a more detailed write-up about my recent BRM1000 ride up on my blog: https://adriantung.net/wp/2020/09/12...ng-a-pandemic/
Old 09-20-20, 01:40 PM
clasher

Got an official 300K brevet done, another PB, finished in 13:38h for 304km and ~1300m elevation. The wind wasn't much of a factor but the ride started out on the cool side, -2C at the start and in the dark with a 6am start.

Lake Simcoe isn't one of the great lakes but it's still pretty big! A clockwise loop starting in Barrie, plan was to get back to the finish before sundown. I ended up back at the finish just after official sunset but still had some twilight.

Carthew Bay, still -1 at this point and the ride is mostly along forested roads so the early sunrise didn't warm stuff up much.

The eastern portion of the ride goes through an area called Carden Plain, it's a protected bird habitat in spots and a fairly unique landscape, there isn't much topsoil so farming never took off here. Things warmed up here since the roads were more exposed to the sunlight but I still had all my stuff on, including the reflective vest.

A lot of huge cottages are basically right on the shore so there are a lot of private docks and stuff. The cool weather meant empty roads and quiet water, there are usually a lot of boaters and people cruising around the area. It hasn't rained for a while and the quiet winds meant the water was really clear.

After leaving the Lake Simcoe basin the rest of the ride is through familiar farm country, with the soy getting harvested there are some nice scenes in the rolling hills. I used an app to pre-order my drive-thru from a fast food chain, no walk-in available. I like the e-pop kind of controls but it's fun getting random people to sign the control cards, I kind of miss that! All in all a nice day on the bike, I could have used a jacket instead of arm warmers + vest, I didn't take the leg or arm warmers off during the day, even though it got as high as 16C it never really felt warm as the clouds and the wind from riding were enough to keep me cool all day.
Likes For clasher:
Old 09-20-20, 08:43 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Wow, 16C is still considered cold in my parts of the world
Old 09-21-20, 09:22 AM
clasher

Originally Posted by atwl77
Wow, 16C is still considered cold in my parts of the world
It's fairly cold for this time of year around here too! Last year we did a 200k the same weekend and it started off at 11 and went up to 27 so that's what I was hoping for with this 300k but it was still a nice day... got lucky that it was kind of dry in the morning so there wasn't cold mist to ride through, or any rain...
Old 09-27-20, 02:30 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

I just completed my 300k and with that, completed the full SR series for the year.

The route itself is very nice and scenic; essentially one big mountain, plus around 100km of flat tacked on at the back. Another 200k was run concurrently with this - they simply turned back to the starting point immediately after descending, so essentially the first 67% of the route was the same.

Weather was surprisingly very good on that day, with temperatures averaging round 16C-18C during the climb (which is still relatively cold by Malaysian standards). Even the rest of the day averaged around 22C-25C which was nice and cool. The monsoon season had already arrived several days earlier, so I was expecting a very wet ride. However, most of the time I only encountered wet roads - the rain had already come and gone by the time I started riding. This was a very good thing, actually. If it had rained in during the first 200km of the ride, it would have been a lot colder at the peak and also more dangerous during the descent.

I took this picture somewhere near the peak. The sign over at the distance reads, "Cameron Valley Tea", basically one large tea plantation. It's a very popular tourist spot, with cars parked to my left and right where I took the shot (and a family patiently waiting for me to finish so that they can get pictures, lol).

There were no official controls for this route, just four towns where we had to scan our way into any of the local shops with our phones using the standard COVID-19 tracking system over here. I tried to minimize stopped time by avoiding the usual hotspots like cafes and restaurants. Instead, I made quick petrol station stops for some bread and instant noodles, and that worked out relatively well as I didn't feel hungry or tired for most of the ride. Also used Hammer Perpeteum for on-bike nutrition, Salt Sticks for electrolyte and snacked on Mentos chewy mints while on the bike, as these sweets can be easily obtained from most petrol stations.

After the descent, I did encounter a bit of rain along the remaining 100km of the route, but it was mostly a constant light drizzle instead of heavy downpour. When it wasn't raining, it was mostly overcast with very little sunshine, and that actually worked out pretty well for me. I tend to suffer and perform a lot less under the hot sun and this has helped me ride faster and finish with a new personal best time of 14:30 (moving time 12:35).

Likes For atwl77:
Old 09-27-20, 07:50 AM
clasher

Nicely done. I wish we had mountains around here.
Old 10-12-20, 05:55 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

The LRM (1300km) scheduled for the end of this month has been postponed, and then a few hours after that announcement, my country's government has ordered another round of lockdowns in several states, mine included. Oh well, back to the indoor trainer for me.
Old 10-13-20, 09:40 AM
clasher

Autumn is here and last weekend I finished my SR this year with a nice flat 200K that went through a nice part of the province... the Niagara peninsula between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. The route gets close to the falls but doesn't go into the city and I've seen them so many times it's not worth the detour for me. We have another 200 that comes from Lake Ontario and it's a hillier route than this one. This past weekend there was another group out on this route and they had massive headwinds. When I rode it there was heavy rain on the drive down to the start but it cleared up shortly before we started... and since I'd put my mudguards on the bike and brought a rain jacket, it didn't rain on the ride for us. One of my buddies came along and I pulled for the whole ride and he bought all the food... it was a good arrangement. There are 3 controls, all at fast food places so stop time was spent sitting outside and we finished in 10:10.

Toronto and Ottawa have had to close down restaurants/bars again and there are restrictions on gatherings too. I don't live there but will probably not be doing anything more than 100k outdoors this year. This past weekend I did a mini tour to scout out a planned 600K that ended up being hillier than anticipated... got 3700m in the first 340km and my ride back was 2000m in 210km. The ride I did doesn't quite match the planned 600k but it's over 5000m on rwgps, but it'll have to wait until 2021 for a proper pre-ride.

Temperature map, it went from 8C to 20C with a bit of wind but nothing too bad. My wahoo got direct sun and recorded 30C but it never got above 20

Bridge to Buffalo, USA was almost empty

Beautiful winding roads

Grapes ready to harvest. Wine grapes grow well near the north part of the peninsula

The water in the Welland river and Niagara river is often a nice colour

The route finishes with a ~100m descent that is a bit rough in spots
Likes For clasher: