Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

28mm tires on paved roads . . . have you tried them? Do you like them?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Have you tried 28mm tires? Do you like them better than 25's? (Vote all that apply)
I tried tubeless 28's. I like them.
22.14%
I tried tubeless 28's. I don't like them.
1.91%
I tried tubed 28's. I like them.
70.23%
I tried tubed 28's. I don't like them.
1.15%
I've never tried 28mm bike tires for very long.
3.82%
I'm not interested in going to 28's at all.
8.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

28mm tires on paved roads . . . have you tried them? Do you like them?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-19, 04:13 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Long thread with many replies so this may have been mentioned already. Tire size plays a factor in comfort, grip, feel, resistance, quality etc but even more important is the specific brand/model tire itself. There are 28c tires that feel like a frozen garden hose and 28c tires that don't. Size does matter in this case but so does everything else.

Last edited by u235; 12-20-19 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-17-20, 08:43 PM
Fourbtgait

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Intriguing thread, glad I found it as I have just gotten back to riding my CAAD9 after 10 years. Original 23 Vittoria Zaffiro Pro tires on it that I never gave a second thought back then to the quality of. Now older, smarter and google savvy I find that they are a good tire. Only reason I thought of going larger was to smooth out the expansion cracks on local bike trails. But only up to a 25, never imagining going to 28. 23 sucks in loose gravel at trailhead parking lot but I love how I can throw the bike around, accelerate on them. I would hate to lose that feeling going to wide, thinking I can keep it with a GP5000 in a 25 and smooth it a little. I still like that edge at 63.
thanks to all of you, I learned a lot reading all of the posts.
Old 04-17-20, 09:52 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
So the new frame I built up I tried to fit a 25mm challenge tire on a 22mm internal width rim and there wasn't enough space to make me happy, the tire measured 28mm wide on that rim. I've since built velocity a23 and have put 23mm Conti on it which I pumped to 90 being a heavier guy. Riding down the street has felt very smooth, grippy and nice and light to throw around. On this rim it measures about 24mm and the wider rim makes it feel nicer than the old open pros did, feels faster too.
i did like the ride of the challenge and will be building the rim with a match into my original race bike which will easily handle the wider width. Admittedly the combo feels fairly quick and nimble as well but not quite as nice, but will do well for the rough roads I prefer riding the steel frame and fork of the old bike on.
Old 04-18-20, 02:30 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
It seems most people have made the switch to 25mm tires. But much of the cycling press would like us to believe that if 25mm is good, 28mm must be better! I'm about to mount up a set of tubeless tires on my general, all-purpose road bike. If you've tried 28's, I'm curious what you think of them. Do you run them the same pressure you would run 25's?
I rode 28s and liked them so much I figured why stop there, and the tires on my bike right now are 32mm, and I love them. They're not run-of-the-mill 32s, and weigh just a few grams more than typical 28s. I love them.
No, 28s aren't run at the same pressure as 25s. You'll run them lower (lower max pressure rating on the sidewall too).

Do you like them for the comfort or the speed? Do you think the comfort is worth the loss of speed (if any)?
I didn't lose any speed at all, and gained comfort. It was a win/win.

And are you tubed or tubeless? Let's keep this to paved roads (of whatever quality). Gravel changes the equation in a lot of ways. Have you tried 28mm tires long term on pavement? Do you like them? Do they live up to the hype?
I've run tubeless and tubed, and am currently running tubed (my current tires aren't TL either so if I try TL again it'll have to be after these wear out). The tubeless had great road feel, and I had at least two instances I know of where I ran over something, heard the hiss, and then it stopped and I rode on. I may try TL again, we'll see.
Old 04-18-20, 08:17 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Yes to 28s commuted on them for a cpl years. They’re just right. But right now been riding 25s past decade
Old 04-18-20, 01:10 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
28 and 32mm work great on our tandem, 285 lb. team weight, 95 psi. I ride 23mm on my singles, 100 rear, 80 front..
Old 04-18-20, 01:40 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Looks like 28 is becoming (or is already?) the new standard in race bikes, isn't it? I always look around when I am in bicycle shops and I see many 2020s with OEM 28mm.

Research seem to indicate they are indeed more efficient & more comfortable. Pwwwwoblem solved!

Last edited by eduskator; 04-18-20 at 02:02 PM.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 04-18-20, 02:54 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
28's on good steel is like riding a cadillac ....smoove.
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 04-18-20, 03:30 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
It seems most people have made the switch to 25mm tires. But much of the cycling press would like us to believe that if 25mm is good, 28mm must be better! I'm about to mount up a set of tubeless tires on my general, all-purpose road bike. If you've tried 28's, I'm curious what you think of them. Do you run them the same pressure you would run 25's? Do you like them for the comfort or the speed? Do you think the comfort is worth the loss of speed (if any)? And are you tubed or tubeless? Let's keep this to paved roads (of whatever quality). Gravel changes the equation in a lot of ways. Have you tried 28mm tires long term on pavement? Do you like them? Do they live up to the hype?
It isn't nearly so much the size as the road surfaces you ride over that the specific tire. I really was shocked going from 23 mm Continentals to 28 mm Michelin Pro4 tires on our rotten roads here. The difference in ride and speed was immediately plain. I'm a pretty large guy, 6'4" and 190 lbs and that definitely makes a difference but the pros are using 26 mm wide tubular tires presently on most of their "smooth road" European races. I tried Schwalb and a few others but they didn't rode nearly as well as the Michlin's.

I was curious about why they were still using tubular tires and questioned it on another site. All of the group "experts" spent several weeks telling me that they were the best tires ever, to ride (I rode tubulars racing and was never very impressed with them). I said that I had rolled a tubular a couple of times in races only to be told that I was stupid and didn't know what I was doing.. Those tires were glued on by a man who worked his entire life as a bike mechanic, made his own frames and supported his own semi-pro teams.

Well, I got a private email from one of the pro mechanics who said that the only reason that they use them is because they have limited roof rack room and that when a team member gets a flat you give him a tire off of the roof rack, and take the flat into the car and as you're pulling him back to the group (illegal but everyone does it) the mechanic can strip the bad tubie off and throw a pre-glued one on, CO2 it to the proper pressure and lean out the window and stick the repaired wheel into the roof rack wheel carrier. I could not even ride my Time Edge VR with 23 mm tires on it. It was far too painful to ride. Yet with the 28's on it, it became one of the nicest riding bikes I ever owned. But it was early and consequently a heavy carbon bike and I moved on.

I mentioned that to these "experts" who again told me I was stupid and no one did that. But watching the Tour de France coverage I saw team mechanics leaning out and putting repaired flats onto the roof rack. I suppose that no one informed these mechanics that they didn't know what they were doing and were stupid.
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 04-18-20, 03:35 PM
RiceAWay

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Looks like 28 is becoming (or is already?) the new standard in race bikes, isn't it? I always look around when I am in bicycle shops and I see many 2020s with OEM 28mm.

Research seem to indicate they are indeed more efficient & more comfortable. Pwwwwoblem solved!
It all has to do with the weight of the rider and the size of the bike. None of the tires used in the grand tours are over-the-counter. They are all custom made for teams. The last I heard was that the average tire width was 26 mm. Well, makes sense since most pros are pretty light.

As for OEM's - maybe that reflects our pus guts. At the end of a season I'm generally back down to 180 lbs and can really tell the difference climbing.
Old 04-19-20, 05:53 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Don't us tubular people get a category? - you're not even considering the best tires? Bike must not be worthy!

...no need to reply.....
Old 04-20-20, 06:49 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Recently bumped from 28mm GP5Ks to 32mm GP5Ks, and it just keeps getting better. On my stock wheels, the 32's are only about 1mm wider than the 28's on my wide wheels, but they're significantly taller, so def more volume. More comfort, more grip, no loss of speed (yes, I'm sure in a wind tunnel or TT there's a difference, but normal/fast riding around on crappy roads, gimme the extra rubber). If you've got the room, go for it, they're great!
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 04-20-20, 12:34 PM
Nman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure why anyone runs a tyre that small. 32mm minimum, vastly superior. Lower pressure, more grip, more confidence.
Likes For Nman:
Old 04-20-20, 02:47 PM
kansukee

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
I only run tubulars and just went up to a 28mm Veloflex Raven. Used to run Vlaanderens which are spec'ed at 27mm and I loved the soft ride; can't imagine these being any worse.
Old 04-20-20, 07:31 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
i'll continue to be one of the few, riding tubular, dissenting voices. i find 28's heavy and slow. rather have the bars double wrapped to minimize road chatter and run 23's to
maintain what little nimbleness, acceleration, handling and lightness they give me vs 28's...or 25's. if all i rode were flats, i'd probably feel differently. if i'm doing a tour
with some/all roads i've never ridden, i'd be more predisposed to do 25's vs 28's. if i'm doing a road ride with a significant percentage (20+%) of dirt/gravel section(s),
then yes, slap on the 28's. i haven't found 28's (or 25's) to be less/more prone to flats or wear than 23's with the same manufacturer/model.
i run the 23's at 95-100 and weigh abo 180. to each their own...

Last edited by diphthong; 04-21-20 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-21-20, 06:43 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
I've recently moved from GP4000 25 to Michelin Power Protection + 28 and could not be happier with them. I previously had used Schwalbe Marathon Plus 25 as there is a ton of debris on the roads where I ride and I was tired of puncture flats from small sharp objects penetrating the tire. Those tires were relatively heavier, slower and harsher riding than I'd like but being able to ride without ever getting a flat was a worthy trade off. I decided while riding in another part of the country to go back to the GP4000 25s and they were definitely much better riding and noticeably faster than the Marathons, which was enjoyable on the smooth, debris free tarmac I was riding on. But back on my usual roads, I began having to deal with the periodic punctures again. I also tried a set of Specialized Turbo Pro 26 w/ blackbelt protection that I had on hand, but found those to not offer much better puncture resistance.

I didn't want to go all the way back to the Marathons and researched to find a happy medium, as well as determining whether my Ultegra 6800 brake calipers would clear 28c tires. I ended up with the Michelins as they seemed to offer considerable puncture protection without the weight and stiffness of the Marathons. I've found that with the lower pressure I can run on the 28s, they're very comfortable, have excellent grip and thus far with a few hundred miles I haven't had any punctures. They are 299g in 28 vs the GP4000 25 at 225g and Specialized Turbo 26 at 250g; meanwhile the Schwalbe Marathons 25 at 580g so not nearly the weight penalty of the Marathons with thus far similar flat protection. I only have experience with this one tire in 28, so how much is the 28 vs the 25 I can't say at this point, but I am finding this 28 setup to be pretty ideal for my riding conditions thus far. I'd definitely recommend trying a 28, especially if your paved roads are not super smooth.
Old 04-21-20, 08:26 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Nman
Not sure why anyone runs a tyre that small. 32mm minimum, vastly superior. Lower pressure, more grip, more confidence.
Yep. 32mm is now my “pavement only” tire size.
Old 04-21-20, 12:33 PM
ABQIan

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Bianchi Vigorelli, Jamis Dragonslayer, Surly Cross Check, EAI Bareknuckle

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I put 28 Gatorskins on whatever road bike will fit them. Seems to hold up better here in the land of glass and goatheads than narrower models -- it might be in my head but they seem to impart a certain security and I don't notice a speed penalty.
Old 06-18-20, 10:29 AM
cynracer

Bikes: 86 Nishiki Prestige, Russ Denny, 98CannondaleR4000, Olympus Zeus,Torelli Countach OS, 88 Centurion Ironman Master, 70's Ron Cooper, 91 Klein Quantum, Kuota Kaliber, 04 Trek 5200, Ellsworth Ride, Cannondale MT400 Tandem, 98Cannondale Raven, 86 Fuso

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went from 23's to 28's on a Specialized Roubaix, made a world of difference, especially on the rougher portions of the asphalt
Old 06-18-20, 11:02 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
It isn't nearly so much the size as the road surfaces you ride over that the specific tire. I really was shocked going from 23 mm Continentals to 28 mm Michelin Pro4 tires on our rotten roads here. The difference in ride and speed was immediately plain. I'm a pretty large guy, 6'4" and 190 lbs and that definitely makes a difference but the pros are using 26 mm wide tubular tires presently on most of their "smooth road" European races. I tried Schwalb and a few others but they didn't rode nearly as well as the Michlin's.

I was curious about why they were still using tubular tires and questioned it on another site. All of the group "experts" spent several weeks telling me that they were the best tires ever, to ride (I rode tubulars racing and was never very impressed with them). I said that I had rolled a tubular a couple of times in races only to be told that I was stupid and didn't know what I was doing.. Those tires were glued on by a man who worked his entire life as a bike mechanic, made his own frames and supported his own semi-pro teams.

Well, I got a private email from one of the pro mechanics who said that the only reason that they use them is because they have limited roof rack room and that when a team member gets a flat you give him a tire off of the roof rack, and take the flat into the car and as you're pulling him back to the group (illegal but everyone does it) the mechanic can strip the bad tubie off and throw a pre-glued one on, CO2 it to the proper pressure and lean out the window and stick the repaired wheel into the roof rack wheel carrier. I could not even ride my Time Edge VR with 23 mm tires on it. It was far too painful to ride. Yet with the 28's on it, it became one of the nicest riding bikes I ever owned. But it was early and consequently a heavy carbon bike and I moved on.

I mentioned that to these "experts" who again told me I was stupid and no one did that. But watching the Tour de France coverage I saw team mechanics leaning out and putting repaired flats onto the roof rack. I suppose that no one informed these mechanics that they didn't know what they were doing and were stupid.
There are two other factors - safety and wheel changes. Wheel changes; a tubular can be ridden flat to a good point to make the swap, even if that is a long distance. Safety; a well glued tubular stays on after blowouts, even at high speed. Braking to a stop is no big deal. I've blown out tubulars downhill going 45. Big heart rate spike but the stop to change the tire was just routine. You can ride and brake on the blown tire (gently). There are pros with enough standing to insist they ride tubulars. Some even having accounts at a top tubular maker. The rest ride what their sponsor offers and try not to think of consequences on mountain descents,

Pure speculation here - those mechanics know that if they run out of spares, that rider cannot finish under the time limit and is out of the Tour and can no longer assist his team leader. Simply not acceptable. I bet that re-tired wheel is not used until the rest of the spares have been depleted. (After all, the mechanic's job and reputation are on the line, A rolled tire doesn't look good for him and may well have big consequences on team earnings. But a rider not finishing because they ran out of wheels? Also not good. Those mechanics earn their pay.)

Edit: You rode tubulars racing and weren't impressed? Did you ride good ones? I raced the Criterium Setas in the '70s like so many of us did. I'm guessing they were no wider than 23c. (Most tires didn't say and width numbers wasn't really in the lingo yet.) Magic carpets. Completely trustworthy cornering. Handled any road surface. Perfect for racing down Smuggler's Notch in VT in the rain, glasses pulled down my nose so I could "see" (barely). Going around corners I'd never seen before but had been told brakes were not needed. Thankfully there was a yellow line. My poor eyesight could see that. Now those tubulars all had their flaws, usually in the stitching around the valve. (Just like true magic carpets - handmade in Persia.) But once you were riding, that didn't matter.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 06-18-20 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-18-20, 11:11 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Im sure, if you wanted, you could glue a clincher too ;-) - or just not ride paper thin race tyres down a mountain a ludicrous speed. Thats just asking for it ...
Old 06-18-20, 11:25 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
Well, I got a private email from one of the pro mechanics who said that the only reason that they use them [tubulars] is because they have limited roof rack room and that when a team member gets a flat you give him a tire off of the roof rack, and take the flat into the car and as you're pulling him back to the group (illegal but everyone does it) the mechanic can strip the bad tubie off and throw a pre-glued one on, CO2 it to the proper pressure and lean out the window and stick the repaired wheel into the roof rack wheel carrier.
If a mechanic can strip a tubular off a rim and mount a new one in the back seat of a team car, he/she can certainly replace a clincher tube in the back seat of a team car.
Old 06-18-20, 03:46 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I recently got a new bike that came with Roval 50 and 28mm tires. The tires match the Roval 50 rims perfectly. I would speculate that the aero drag coefficient is pretty good but the frontal area not so good. The ride is nice and rolling resistance is great.

I think it gets down to how fast are you going to go and what is the road surface. I will take narrow and higher pressure on good roads versus wider and lower pressure.
Old 06-19-20, 11:34 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I recently got a new bike that came with Roval 50 and 28mm tires. The tires match the Roval 50 rims perfectly. I would speculate that the aero drag coefficient is pretty good but the frontal area not so good. The ride is nice and rolling resistance is great.

I think it gets down to how fast are you going to go and what is the road surface. I will take narrow and higher pressure on good roads versus wider and lower pressure.
That is my feeling as well. I find 25 mm tires plenty comfortable for the roads I ride and don’t need low pressure and 28s. They’re fine. I have them on my Roubaix, but I don’t need the added cushion.
Old 06-20-20, 04:36 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
It seems most people have made the switch to 25mm tires. But much of the cycling press would like us to believe that if 25mm is good, 28mm must be better! I'm about to mount up a set of tubeless tires on my general, all-purpose road bike. If you've tried 28's, I'm curious what you think of them. Do you run them the same pressure you would run 25's? Do you like them for the comfort or the speed? Do you think the comfort is worth the loss of speed (if any)? And are you tubed or tubeless? Let's keep this to paved roads (of whatever quality). Gravel changes the equation in a lot of ways. Have you tried 28mm tires long term on pavement? Do you like them? Do they live up to the hype?
just had both of my continental GP4000S side walls slashed by road shoulder gravel. But they ride great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.