Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

CAAD13 vs Synapse?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

CAAD13 vs Synapse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-20, 09:59 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
CAAD13 vs Synapse?

Has anyone ridden both the Cannondale CAAD13 and the Synapse?

Back when the CAA12 was the newest CADD there was an obvious difference between it and the Synapse but now I think the CADD13 is trying to be more of an endurance bike. The reach, stack, head tube angle and wheel base of the Synapse and CAAD13 are close. That said, I'm only reading specs. Has anyone actually ridden both? There are many CAAD12 vs Synapse reviews but not many comparing the "13"

I'm looking to buy a new road bike at the end of summer and at 60+ will never race but I do medium length rides of 2 to 4 hours about three times a week, mostly on good pavement. My neck and shoulder get sore so I probably need to be more upright even if that means 1 mph slower.

My current bike is a good quality 1970s vintage steel frame with now mostly Shinano components. I want to move something made this century.
Old 03-23-20, 12:28 PM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
I can't speak for the CAAD 13. I do have a 2019 Synapse aluminum 105se that is a joy to ride. I'm 59 and find that I can ride this for several hours without discomfort. I would think that the CAAD13 would be more aggressive.
Old 03-23-20, 01:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I've been riding vintage steel for years Even at 62 y.o. I've found that I want to be lower on the bikes than they'll let me without changing up stuff I'd rather not spend money on.

So I looked for bikes thought of as a race fit, even though I have no intention of racing. I just pulled the trigger on a Tarmac which is considered a race bike as opposed to the Rubaix which they tout for endurance. Race, Endurance and other terms are more useful for salesman to develop marketing strategies than for helping pick a bike that you like. IMO

If my local Cannondale dealer has a Supersix EVO in stock in my size I probably would have gone for that.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-30-20, 03:05 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Bumping this question now that both have been out for some time. Any input from riders that have ridden both?

The synapse al as well as the synapse carbon vs the caad13.
Old 09-30-20, 06:44 PM
vlad1xxi

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Why do you limit yourself by Cannondale? Look at Giant Defy and/or Canyon Endurace as well. In my opinion Canyons are better. Why do you limit yourself by endurance bike? You can put stem with bigger angle on race bike to get more upright position. I am 57 years old (cannot believe...) and ride 2015 Cannondale SuperSix Evo race bike without any discomfort. Love old classic frames of Cannondale and do not like new ones at all. Today I would buy Specialized Tarmac or Canyon Ultimate or Canyon Endurace bike

Last edited by vlad1xxi; 09-30-20 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-01-20, 07:58 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I bought a Synapse early this Summer and love it. No pains whatsoever regardless of the ride distance.
Old 10-05-20, 02:42 PM
Buddy of KS

Bikes: Fuji Sportif

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChrisAlbertson
Has anyone ridden both the Cannondale CAAD13 and the Synapse?

Back when the CAA12 was the newest CADD there was an obvious difference between it and the Synapse but now I think the CADD13 is trying to be more of an endurance bike. The reach, stack, head tube angle and wheel base of the Synapse and CAAD13 are close. That said, I'm only reading specs. Has anyone actually ridden both? There are many CAAD12 vs Synapse reviews but not many comparing the "13"

I'm looking to buy a new road bike at the end of summer and at 60+ will never race but I do medium length rides of 2 to 4 hours about three times a week, mostly on good pavement. My neck and shoulder get sore so I probably need to be more upright even if that means 1 mph slower.

My current bike is a good quality 1970s vintage steel frame with now mostly Shinano components. I want to move something made this century.
I'll bump this post for you because I would also like to hear from someone who has ridden both. I am also looking for a new ride with a similar geometry that you're looking at - Giant Defy, Canyon Endurance AL & SL, Scott Addict, Trek Emonda AL & SL and Cannondale Synapse & CAAD 13...