Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Need help choosing between Special Crossroads and Roll.

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 08-26-20, 05:20 PM
GeoGoGo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Everyone!

I have been doing my due diligence online and I believe I have narrowed down my choices to the Crossroads and the Roll.

I test drove a Trek Verge 3.0 and I didn't like it. I wasn't impressed with the disc brakes, the way it shifted, or the fact I felt way up on the bars so I am pretty sure I want the more upright position. I stopped by my not so local Specialized dealer and test rode a bike just to get a feel for Specialized as a product.

I feel like a moron because I can remember what bike it was! It was a $949 model that the guy said was pretty much a road bike with a flat bar and it was the only non-road bike they had in stock. I liked the overall build quality of the Specialized bike during my short time on it but again, I felt too far up on the bars.

So I am looking for an upright position bike. I am just looking to get my toe into biking and they have built some beautiful bike trails here in upstate New York. I am looking for something basic; rim brakes, sturdy tires, upright. Something I can do paved bike paths but still handle some light off-road. Gravel, packed dirt trails, fairly basic stuff. If I really get into it, I can always upgrade to something a little more off-road capable.

I need your help. I don't feel like I know enough to choose between the Crossroads or the Roll. Influence me one way or the other!

I look forward to hearing any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, or opinions! Thank you all for the time and help! Have a great day and stay safe!

Respectfully,
​​​​​​​George D.
Old 08-26-20, 07:31 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,012 Posts
Crossroads .
I have a Roll and wish I’d bought something different. When I expressed my issues with my Roll with The bike shop where I bought it , they told me the Roll is just a fancy beach cruiser . They said it’s designed for short trips , not long rides .
I prefer my old Schwinn Cross bikes . They will do more .
Old 08-26-20, 08:35 PM
GeoGoGo

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for the input, Kirby!
Likes For GeoGoGo:
Old 08-27-20, 06:21 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I test-rode a Roll before buying my Giant Roam (which is like a Specialized Crosstrail). The Roll was neat, but not comfortable to me. The crank-forward design was not for me. I did like the high handlebar design, but the cranks that far forward (due to the very slack seat tube angle) made me feel like I was sort of laid out on the bike. It's a popular bike, and obviously comfortable for many, but it wasn't for me. This is where a test ride is critical.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 08-27-20, 01:38 PM
Jagamov

Bikes: Specialized Roll Elite LTD, Sirrus X 5.0, Allez Elite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I have a Roll and so does my wife.

For me it is super comfortable and fits me like a glove. I have no trouble putting 10-15 miles on it. It's not as fast as my Sirrus X, but it cruises great.

My wife test rode both the Crossroads and the Roll and ended up with the Roll. She just felt is was more comfortable and easier to ride. The bigger tires really make for a smooth ride. She was never sold on the Crossroads. Plus it handles amazingly well.

Advice I always give, ride both and buy the one YOU like the best. Neither is better/worse...just different. You're the only one who knows what you like.
Likes For Jagamov:
Old 09-06-20, 10:05 AM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
I have a Roll low entry at present. I am currently looking for something that is faster and more nimble for paved street riding. Follow Jagamov's advice above.
Old 09-07-20, 07:02 AM
rwhillman

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Roll Sport low entry. Ride 25 miles every other day. It is very comfortable, but slow. Normal speed on flat road is 13-14mph.