Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano BR-6800 Ultegra Brake Caliper Arm too short

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-20, 08:46 AM
Really_bigair

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a new pair of Shimano BR-6800 Brake Calipers to replace the original Promax calipers that came on my Cannondale Synapse. Unfortunately, it appears that the brake arm caliper reach is too short to work with my frame. I can barely get the rear brake shoes to align on the rim, however the front is way too short and will not align on the rim.

Am I doing something wrong? Can't imagine what.

When I ordered the calipers I did not see any reach listed. They were not listed as short reach and they did not have any reach specification listed on the webpage. Are there different reach, ie. short, mid, long, versions of BR-6800 calipers? Did a quick search and did not see anything.

Any suggestions regarding how to resolve this issue? Thanks for any help or suggestions, even if it is "send them back".
Old 09-02-20, 09:11 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Put them up against your old caliper.
If they are too short try and return them.
Old 09-02-20, 10:56 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
You probably need what is now known as long reach, formerly known as medium reach. There is only short reach 6800. I think the long reach (57mm) brake you want is the 105 level BR-R650. Check that one out, maybe someone who knows will chime in.
Old 09-02-20, 11:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Tektro probably makes longer reach double pivot calipers.. Promax was a parts pick to keep the bike affordable...

IDK why so many posting here are unable to measure things ...

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-02-20 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-02-20, 11:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Really_bigair
Am I doing something wrong? Can't imagine what.

When I ordered the calipers I did not see any reach listed. They were not listed as short reach and they did not have any reach specification listed on the webpage.
There are a lot of things they don't tell you. It's pretty much expected that you'll find out what will and won't work when you change to something different than was already installed.

Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's hard to find the info. I might suggest you don't consider changing the crankset and bb if getting OJT and paying a stupid tax bothers you. <grin> We've probably all had similar gotcha's when first learning to DIY.

So yes.... send them back. If you can't get a full refund of all costs, then that is what is called the "stupid tax".
Old 09-02-20, 11:41 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
So yes.... send them back. If you can't get a full refund of all costs, then that is what is called the "stupid tax".
Consider it "tuition".
Old 09-03-20, 07:43 AM
Really_bigair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

It appears that the Shimano BR-6800 calipers are short reach only. Obviously, I was surprised that they would not work with a popular road carbon fork such as my Cannondale Synapse SAVE fork.

For now, I bought a set of Clark brake pads to use with my new Campy Calima wheels. Didn't want to use the old pads they had poor stopping power and a lot of metal/grit impacted into them. Hopefully the stopping power is improved over the old setup.
Old 09-03-20, 08:06 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

It appears that the Shimano BR-6800 calipers are short reach only. Obviously, I was surprised that they would not work with a popular road carbon fork such as my Cannondale Synapse SAVE fork.

For now, I bought a set of Clark brake pads to use with my new Campy Calima wheels. Didn't want to use the old pads they had poor stopping power and a lot of metal/grit impacted into them. Hopefully the stopping power is improved over the old setup.
Im surprised too. Not doubting you but you measured against the old brake?
Old 09-03-20, 08:21 AM
Really_bigair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, the caliper arms of the Shimano BR-6800 are shorter than the arms on the original Promax calipers when compared directly with each other.
Old 09-03-20, 08:22 AM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I'm not sure what year your Synapse is, but it does sound like certain models were designed for long-reach calipers. In this thread, someone had similar issues, and the Shimano BR-R650 that shelbyfv mentioned sound like your best bet. To be honest, I probably would have purchased 6800/5700 brakes too, as I would have thought a bike like the Synapse would be totally compatible.
Old 09-03-20, 08:30 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I find upgrading pads and cable/housing is usually the best bang for your braking buck. I find those parts usually make a bigger difference than the calipers themselves.
Old 09-03-20, 08:38 AM
Really_bigair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I find upgrading pads and cable/housing is usually the best bang for your braking buck. I find those parts usually make a bigger difference than the calipers themselves.
Kapusta, is there a certain brake cable/housing that you have found to perform better than the typical OEM original model? Curious as I have an older bike that I'm considering changing both the brake cables, as well as the shifter cables.
Old 09-03-20, 09:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Kapusta, is there a certain brake cable/housing that you have found to perform better than the typical OEM original model? Curious as I have an older bike that I'm considering changing both the brake cables, as well as the shifter cables.
Jagwire Mountain Pro brake cable/housing kit. There is probably a road version, but I assume it is the same thing... maybe shorter housing. The key is the compressionless housing.

For pads I like Kool Stop for v-brakes. I’d do a search for the best ones for your application.

I am not too picky about shifter cables/housing. It all seems to work fine for me.
Old 09-03-20, 11:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Shimano makes long reach brakes. At least the 105 tier level has had them at various times. I'd think Ultegra, DuraAce and even less expensive tiers had them too at various times.

Here is one they currently make
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...0/BR-R650.html

Maybe if your online source sell that version too, then you can get a swap out instead of just a return.
Old 09-03-20, 01:29 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
Brake reach too short

@dedhed turned me on to these

Barry

Old 09-05-20, 10:57 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
@dedhed turned me on to these

Barry

Learn something new every day. These are cool !