Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Replacement wheelset for '06 Jamis Aurora

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-20, 11:56 PM
hackybiker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone have suggestions for a replacement wheelset for this bike? The indicators on my stock rims are completely worn away. Looking for something with halfway decent hubs, 32h, able to take 9 speed cassette and 700x28 tires, that won't break the bank.

I've been searching around and most wheelsets available are more for racing. I mostly do city riding, sometimes carrying weight in rear panniers, but I'd like to able to do "light touring" on it someday, so looking for something durable rather than lightweight.

Thanks for any help and advice!
Old 09-29-20, 04:03 AM
metalrideroz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
tb14 to 105 hubs?
Old 09-29-20, 06:46 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
I have no idea if that bike has 130 or 135mm dropouts in back. If it is 135mm, I prefer the older style Shimano Deore or XT steel axle hubs, but not the newer XT with aluminum axles.

If you might want to use these wheels in the future on a different bike, it might not hurt to get a disc brake hub. For example a friend of mine bought a new dynohub wheel three years ago for a rim brake bike, then a year ago bought a new disc brake bike and was unable to move the dynohub wheel over to the new bike.

I built up a set of wheels three years ago, used a XT M756A rear hub, it is a disc hub with steel axle, 135mm spacing. Very happy with it.

Dyad rims might be heavier and stronger than you need, but I used those for my most recent set of wheels, I like them. I think they will out last me.
Old 09-29-20, 06:50 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
What's the spacing on the rear dropouts ? or what are your present hubs ?
Old 09-29-20, 07:02 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
how much do you want to spend?
there should be used wheels around, although this does require a certain amount of hands on knowledge on your part to evaluate used stuff.
Old 09-29-20, 09:18 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Can you get a new rim with a similar ERD and swap the rims? Or is there a problem with the hubs and/or spoke breakage?
Old 09-29-20, 02:04 PM
hackybiker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rear spacing is 130mm.

The hubs are fine, it's just the rims that are worn. I would consider lacing new rims but I don't have the tools at home and my local bike co-op is still closed due to the pandemic. And my wheelbuilding skills are mediocre at best (I've built 2 sets in the past which have been fine for city riding but I don't completely trust myself).

Thanks for the leads so far! I'll take a look at that link to velomine.com and look at the dyad rims. As much as I'd love to get a set of professionally hand-built wheels, I can't swing it right now, so it'll have to be pre- or machine-built. Was hoping to spend in the neighborhood of $300.
Old 09-29-20, 03:23 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Can you get a new rim with a similar ERD and swap the rims? Or is there a problem with the hubs and/or spoke breakage?
to both of you-- I once had a rim that had splits around the spokeholes in the rim, too much tension, and was able to get sourced a replacement rim with similar ERD (if thats the term for rim height and all that, for determining spoke length) and taped the new rim to the old wheel, transfered spoke by spoke over, did a rudimentary tightening and then left the end part to a good mechanic.
Have ridden that wheel for years now and alls well.