Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Heart Rate Controlled ERG/Resistance on Trainer

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 10:41 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts

I'm being asked to train to HR and not Watts.
I wonder if Heart Rate Control (HRC) is available for a Wahoo Trainer over Ant+ or BLE

Don't care if the solution is Hardware or Software.
I'm looking to set a HR and have the Trainer resistance vary to keep me around that HR.

All of my searching seems to find ellipticals with the function built-in.

Thanks

Barry

Yes I originally posted this in the "Indoor" forum. But with "Indoor" being so hard to find hidden under "Road" I thought I'd try here among the masses.
Old 09-30-20, 03:26 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
I know that Zwift in workout mode will control to power (watts.) The only work around that I see is to just free ride around and vary your work load manually by looking at your heart rate. After all, that is similar to what happens on the road, I would guess.

Is this for a set program of training or with a professional trainer?
Old 09-30-20, 03:37 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Originally Posted by bblair
Is this for a set program of training or with a professional trainer?
It's for a Professional Coach.
I can approximate it by placing the bike in ERG mode and adjusting periodically.
But I don't see why HRC is not being offered for a cycling trainer.

Barry
Old 10-01-20, 06:47 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
The Wahoo fitness app comes close to doing what you want to do, not sure it will do the power adjust to maintain a constant heart rate or stay in zone but you can definitely setup a display to see.

I've ridden exercycles that had the mode you want and never liked it - heart rate is a very variable variable!
Old 10-01-20, 09:30 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
The HR response has a huge phase lag and the power/HR curve is logarithmic. Moreover, the power/HR ratio drifts downward throughout a workout, particularly indoors where it tends to be hot.

How would it this system be used? I could see it for steady state workouts, but I don't think it would work very well for structured intervals.
Old 10-01-20, 09:51 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Tech-Head wants HRC

For structured Intervals I build an ERG plan in ZWOfactory, copy it to the Wahoo Roam and run the plan from there. The Wahoo Bike follows along just fine and the Roam displays progression through the plan.

I want HRC for for long periods of a single HR/zone.
All of my training so far has been to a given power. My coach is asking I train to a given HR.

Yes, the HRower has lag... so significant damping required.
Yes, the power drifts downwards during the workout, that is the point of having HRC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm already doing this manually using the Roam to both monitor HR and to manually reduce the bikes ERG power setting during the workout.
Just having seen the feature available for other exercise machines, I thought it would be there for cyclists. After all, a lot of us are tech-heads.

Barry
Old 10-01-20, 10:40 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Barry2
For structured Intervals I build an ERG plan in ZWOfactory, copy it to the Wahoo Roam and run the plan from there. The Wahoo Bike follows along just fine and the Roam displays progression through the plan.

I want HRC for for long periods of a single HR/zone.
All of my training so far has been to a given power. My coach is asking I train to a given HR.

Yes, the HRower has lag... so significant damping required.
Yes, the power drifts downwards during the workout, that is the point of having HRC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm already doing this manually using the Roam to both monitor HR and to manually reduce the bikes ERG power setting during the workout.
Just having seen the feature available for other exercise machines, I thought it would be there for cyclists. After all, a lot of us are tech-heads.

Barry
Ah. I and, I think, most people, try to keep power constant on long workouts and use the HR drift as an indicator of fitness and the overall stress of the ride. Can you refer me to anything indicating that "clamping" HR keeps the physiological load constant? I'm genuinely curious.
Old 10-01-20, 11:02 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Can you refer me to anything indicating that "clamping" HR keeps the physiological load constant? I'm genuinely curious.
Beats me... I started with a Professional Coach this week and he is attempting to get a baseline for my (in)ability.
With this baseline in hand a master plan will be devised.

And with this plan....and I quote "We will try to take over the world!"*

Barry

* The Brain
Old 10-01-20, 11:33 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
Beats me... I started with a Professional Coach this week and he is attempting to get a baseline for my (in)ability.

Barry

* The Brain
I hope you post the solution if you find one. It would be an interesting change to the usual trainer metrics however the smoothing algorithm to add and remove load based on heart rate would be quite challenging.
Old 10-01-20, 11:42 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

$0.99

Originally Posted by velopig
the smoothing algorithm to add and remove load based on heart rate would be quite challenging.
Apparently that nut has been cracked, for example... "HRC Cruise Control to automatically adjust your machine’s speed and resistance to maintain a constant target heart rate" < Clickable link.

All I'm asking for is a $0.99 app store program I can stuff on my Apple TV - Come on people, who wants my $0.99 ?
(I might even pay a bit more than that) 8-)

Barry
Old 10-01-20, 11:55 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Barry

* The Brain
Good luck, man! Onward and upward with the arts and sciences.
Old 10-03-20, 04:27 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
I'd ask the professional coach to provide you with a solution. They're the one telling you to maintain data that they want to see.
Old 10-03-20, 04:31 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
for more fun buy a specialized e bike that has that part of the computer. you can set it for the motor to kick in to keep your heart rate where you want it.