Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

sometimes skinny people need to shut up

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

sometimes skinny people need to shut up

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-11, 11:24 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
Never, not a single time have I heard a top level athlete say nasty things about those who compete at a lower level or just play, swim or ride for fun. Oh some may be rude to a autograph seeker, but when it comes to others that love their sport the ones I have met have always been supportive.
+100.............A solo ride once lead me into an encounter with a California road race champion on the local trail. I don't recall his name but quite a few racers I know have met the guy. I was doing 50 and this guy was on 200 (? Valencia to Huntington Beach round trip). I was fit and training for a ride so I was pushing hard when I caught up to a small pace line of riders. As I rolled by they picked it up so we started with the friendly competition. I'm not sure where the Champ came from but he ended up in the mix. Next thing I know, he and I had dropped the rest of the riders.

I had no idea who he was but he was strong. Riding solo he backed off the pace and said, "dude, you're strong!". I thanked him then we started chatting. The guy was cruising and I was huffing and puffing trying to carry a conversation while maintaining a decent speed. We discussed our ride then he told me some race stories after introducing himself. I told him I was just a recreational rider riding a Crack-n-Fail. I brought up the Crack-N-Fail after reading several dissing threads in the forums figuring he wouldn't be impressed with my ride.

Then he says, "dude, I have to ride this carbon fiber bike because my sponsors provide my bikes, but if I had it my way, I'd ride the bike I had when our team bikes were aluminum Cannondales". Then he went on how CF was comfortable but he actually preferred the cannondale because it climbed better.

Strange but everything I said was great! I'm riding 50 miles today, dude that's great. I'm training for a timed event, dude that's great. I'm riding a Cannondale, dude that's a great bike! I'm only averaging 19 mph, dude, that's a great pace!

That's the point when I realized that all the forum trash talk about styles and equipment is gabage, it's about being on the bike. A good rider isn't going to diss your bike no matter what it is, how you ride, or why you ride. To them, it's all good. And if a rider does diss your ride, style or mileage, it's because he needs to compensate for something he's lacking. I've seen it over and over and over!

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 06-24-11 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-24-11, 11:40 AM
freighttraininguphill

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
That's the point when I realized that all the forum trash talk about styles and equipment is gabage, it's about being on the bike. A good rider isn't going to diss your bike no matter what it is, how you ride, or why you ride. To them, it's all good. And if a rider does diss your ride, style or mileage, it's because he needs to compensate for something he's lacking. I've seen it over and over and over!
+1,000!

It's all about the motor and the experience for me. I don't need a super-expensive bike. Besides, I would look pretty lame going my usual 3 mph up the steep part of a climb like Snows Road (instead of the 5 mph or higher that the roadies do), freight training and weaving on a $5,000 carbon fiber bike. I would look even lamer going less than 20 mph on flat ground. In other words, I would look like a poser.
Old 06-24-11, 11:41 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Strange but everything I said was great! I'm riding 50 miles today, dude that's great. I'm training for a timed event, dude that's great. I'm riding a Cannondale, dude that's a great bike! I'm only averaging 19 mph, dude, that's a great pace!
I try to be that guy on every group ride. People like that make the world go round.

Exactly. Not everybody rides for the same reasons. To assume someone needs your advice because they should be like you is ridiculous.
Old 06-24-11, 11:55 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by freighttraininguphill
It's all about the motor and the experience for me. I don't need a super-expensive bike. Besides, I would look pretty lame going my usual 3 mph up the steep part of a climb like Snows Road (instead of the 5 mph or higher that the roadies do), freight training and weaving on a $5,000 carbon fiber bike. I would look even lamer going less than 20 mph on flat ground. In other words, I would look like a poser.
You know the situation so I won't go into detail. But I saw a thread the other day (another cycling site) where a rider posted a thread somewhat dissing the style of other riders.

That's pretty trashy IMO! Considering the rider rides a really nice high end super Colnago roadie but declined invitations to ride with a few of us forum members on GMR. She stated the ride was too hard. Wow, even Gina did the ride. I'm not sure what makes her so special that she can diss other rider styles but can't live up to the one she claims of which to be a part.............Total poser! These are the riders that bring nasty attitudes to the cycling world.
Old 06-24-11, 11:56 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
I try to be that guy on every group ride. People like that make the world go round.
Old 06-24-11, 12:13 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Appearance is everything apparently. Clearly I am a big gal or I wouldn't be posting here. I have struggled with weight issues all my life but my weight has never kept me from being athletic. I have been cycling (road and mountain) for around 40 - 45 years. I even lead mountain bike rides and in active in cycling clubs and other cycling activties. Have done more centuries than I can remember and have ridden across the USA not once but twice...

OK not trying to toot my own horn, I am leading up to a story... Last year I finally ordered and received my first fully custom road bike. All and all I spent some good money on the bike, more than most people would ever consider. I needed a seat bag for tubes so decided, since I had to get some hiking stuff, to check out REI to see what they have.

I like REI and their staff is usually friendly but sometimes, those young kids are clueless. My SO (who is also heavy but an experienced rider as well) and I were looking at the bags when the clerk came over. She immediately assumed (for no other reason I am sure but my weight) that I was a newbie rider. She asks "so got a new bike!? Good for you? Have you learned how to change a tire yet? Do you need to know what equipment to get?..." I just stared at her as she went on explaining what all new riders should carry as she pulled out this huge "udder" bag to hold it all. At first I thought "just play the fool and let her think you are a newbie..." but my pride kicked in and I had to say "thanks so much for your help. I am looking for a small seat post bag for my new Landshark. I don't need anything too large as it just needs to hold some tubes. I thought about using one of the bags off one of my other bikes, but wanted to get something fanicer for the new custom bike..." Since she mentioned she mountain bikes, I invited her to come do one of our rides, then grabbed a bag and left.

What I wanted to say was "honey don't make assumptions. If you are in doubt, ask a person if they are new or experienced and if new then move in for the sales pitch but experienced just ask the person if they need help and if not, back off!"

The whole experience which has occurred there several times, leaves me thinking I myself should not make judgements. As a mountain biker, I learned a long time ago not to judge people by their bikes and clothing. Some of the strongest riders I know ride old WalMart Slegehammers and wear tshirts and shorts just because its now considered to be cool. Conversely I have met riders with high end Colnagos, wearing full Assos kits and can't ride a darn.

To me, we are all riders, fellow cyclists and should be treated as such. And yes I know professional riders who are humble, cool folks . Generally the jerks to me are the "wanna-bees". Around here we have alot of young guys that have just gotten into riding and for 25 - 30 miles can go really fast. Big whoop. So can I. Until you can go really fast 120 miles like the pros, you got nothing on me. Those same jerks BTW generally don't know anything about road etiquette, a real pet peeve of mine!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 06-24-11 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-24-11, 12:30 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
She asks "so got a new bike!? Good for you? ................................. I am looking for a small seat post bag for my new Landshark.
Did she even know what a Landshark is?

I went into an REI, ended up looking at bikes as I do any other place, even Wallyworld. Sales dude told me that the Alex 24 hole rims, on the bike I was looking at, were top of the line for heavy riders and you can't get any better. I go in there to look around but not for advice!
Old 06-24-11, 01:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
photographer came by today and noticed my Boston Bikes map. asked if I do any biking. I told him that I commute to work on two wheels, about 13 miles each way. he was unimpressed and said something to the effect of "well I do some serious distance riding" and went on for 10-15 minutes about how fast he is and how awesome his Cervelo bike is and so on and so on.
"Wow, what a great bike! Look at the aero fork, and that thing must weigh all of 13 pounds. I wouldn't have to work very hard, either, if I had a bike like that."
Old 06-24-11, 02:09 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did she even know what a Landshark is?

I went into an REI, ended up looking at bikes as I do any other place, even Wallyworld. Sales dude told me that the Alex 24 hole rims, on the bike I was looking at, were top of the line for heavy riders and you can't get any better. I go in there to look around but not for advice!
No she didn't! She was sweet and doing her job so I couldn't get mad at her... but still... at Christmas I went in to buy shoes. A friend told me there were having a sale on PI MTB shoes. I'm looking at the shoes and this guy clerk comes up ad clearly, again, he sees me as a noob. I told him I normally wear Sidi Dominantors but was just looking for some cheap shoes to "ruin" riding through streams and mud... he backed off.

Part of the problem is I think REI sees itself as a beginner's market when more and more experienced cyclists are going in for products. Bikes, maybe not, but gear and clothing yes.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 06-24-11, 02:32 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Part of the problem is I think REI sees itself as a beginner's market when more and more experienced cyclists are going in for products. Bikes, maybe not, but gear and clothing yes.
That is true, like you say more and more.

But then again, the other day we went into a local high end shop. Guy asked if he could help, kind of a chubby guy himself so I can't diss the skinnies here. "We're looking for white helmets in order to avoid attracting sun on our rides", I said. He said we dont have anything in white as far as entry level helmets. Funny, I don't ever remember seeing him on BA or the Bear, or even GMR.

That's one against the chubbies in this case!
Old 06-24-11, 02:38 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
It sound likes the guy saw your map and in an attempt to establish rapport just went on, and on, and on, and ... .

Probably didn't realize you weren't that interested and just continued until he said what he wanted to say.

He was probably oblivious or nervous and just didn't know when to shut up. Just learn not to be "that guy". The one who doesn't have a clue.
Old 06-24-11, 02:41 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by exile
Just learn not to be "that guy". The one who doesn't have a clue.
Is it true when they say that if you look around for the guy who doesn't have a clue, and can't figure out who it is, it's you?

Old 06-24-11, 03:03 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...That's pretty trashy IMO! Considering the rider rides a really nice high end super Colnago roadie but declined invitations to ride with a few of us forum members on GMR. ...
Don't talk about me that way! One of these days I'll get down there so you can show me the ropes.

Personally I think rudness comes in all sizes and shapes and and sizes. IMHO it's just as rude to call out all skinny people because of one rude person. I've heard very smilar conversations between reasonably fit persons.
Old 06-24-11, 03:10 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did she even know what a Landshark is?...
Knock knock...Whose there? LandShark!...

Landsharks are cool bikes btw...
Old 06-24-11, 03:29 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeyba
Don't talk about me that way! One of these days I'll get down there so you can show me the ropes.

Personally I think rudness comes in all sizes and shapes and and sizes. IMHO it's just as rude to call out all skinny people because of one rude person. I've heard very smilar conversations between reasonably fit persons.
Not you, sorry man! Another rider bashing on another site that passed on an invite to do a friendly ride up gmr cause it's "too hard". Nothing is too hard for you!

I ran into this dude last weekend with a Landshark. Nice bikes but I'm not real crazy about the paint schemes.

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 06-24-11 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-24-11, 03:38 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
Is it true when they say that if you look around for the guy who doesn't have a clue, and can't figure out who it is, it's you?

...............................................................................................
Old 06-24-11, 03:41 PM
ScottStr

Bikes: Windsor Wellington 3.0

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
On a ride a little over a week ago, we had 2 serious hill climbs. In the middle of the second a friend of mine, Bob, who is about 5'4" and 120 lbs, said "I'd hate to pull you up a hill on a bike. I'm really proud of you for what you can do on a bike." I could tell he really gets it. Not all the skinny guys are jerks.
Old 06-24-11, 03:43 PM
MSLiechty

Bikes: 1996, Giant ATX converted to single speed, 2013 Custom Coconino One Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a typical m*******!

ML
Old 06-24-11, 03:55 PM
Homeyba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not you, sorry man! Another rider bashing on another site that passed on an invite to do a friendly ride up gmr cause it's "too hard". Nothing is too hard for you!...
Yeah I know, all us high end Colnago riders are snobs, just like skinny people.

No sweat, I know you were talking about a lady. I was just teasing. I am going to get down there and ride GMR with you one day though, hopefully before I'm too old.
Old 06-24-11, 04:02 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Appearance is everything apparently...
...Some of the strongest riders I know ride old WalMart Slegehammers and wear tshirts and shorts just because its now considered to be cool.
Assumptions:

What is this man doing?
A) Commuting to/from work
B) 300k brevet with 11,500' of climbing
C) Grocery run for some chips and beer before the Giro highlights
D) Just arsing about because it's fun to ride bikes

Highlight below for the answer:
This is Stephen Barnes, of the Seattle International Randonneurs during the 3 Volcanoes 300k brevet, August 2010. He forgot his bike clothes, and rode the first 200k in jeans and a buttondown until someone lent him their spare pair of shorts.
Old 06-24-11, 04:58 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Oddly, the way the OP described his encounter, I didn't perceive that the thin guy actually said anything nasty about big guy. In fact, the OP assumed something about the thin guy's demeanour, then the OP became annoyed... annoyed enough to spend probably more time relating the encounter than what it took for the encounter to occur.

There was a thread here not so long ago about thinking fat. Maybe some of the posters here should revist that thread...
Old 06-24-11, 05:32 PM
Crazydad

Bikes: Yeti SB5, Canondale R500

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Some folks always have to feel like they are superior so their fragile egos aren't bruised. Nothing you can do but say, "cool" and walk away. No matter what you came up with, he would have said something to top it. Just let it roll off you back and hope that person finds some peace with themselves.

5K a year is awesome whether it was cruising down a boardwalk or hammering up the Alps. Way to go!
Old 06-24-11, 05:51 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Oddly, the way the OP described his encounter, I didn't perceive that the thin guy actually said anything nasty about big guy. In fact, the OP assumed something about the thin guy's demeanour, then the OP became annoyed... annoyed enough to spend probably more time relating the encounter than what it took for the encounter to occur.

There was a thread here not so long ago about thinking fat. Maybe some of the posters here should revist that thread...
I agree with what you say here and in your earlier comments. Doesn't appear as an attack on a "fat guy" although I'm not sure that's the OP's main complaint, but they do come in all sizes and shapes. 5000 miles per year is a great thing but 5000 with intense riding/climbing is a little more difficult. The only thing I see that might be upsetting is the way the dude delivered his words to the OP.
Old 06-24-11, 07:04 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got moo'd at today. That was new.

Wasn't going to bike, but the temperature was great and I needed an endorphin boost, so I went out for a "quick" 10 mile ride, which somehow ended up being 20 miles instead (happens quite often to me...).

2 miles before I got home, some young girl, highschooler, leans out the back of an SUV and shouts "MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" at me.

Sigh.
Old 06-25-11, 06:42 AM
Ranger63

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"A" Personalities

I rarely attend the 'party rides' the one club I belong to has.
If it isn't the one up mans ship about riding, it's the one up mans ship about stocks or travel or...

Love riding with the folks

It's when they stop and start the chatter.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.