Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cheap integrated DI2 wiring handle bars

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-24-20, 01:34 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts

I've got a DI2 set up with the junction box under the stem right now. I've purchased the EW-RS910 bar end junction and EW-WU111 wireless unit. I plan on placing the wireless unit in the bars. I have standard alloy bars and have watched the videos about drilling a hole a couple of inches from the bar ends to run wires semi-internal.

Looking around for pre drilled bars for internal wiring mostly comes up with aero bars. I'm fine with that, but the prices are pretty ridiculous. I would like to keep it around $100 I don't race and don't care if the bars are alloy.

Amazon has $50 Chinese carbon fiber aero bars that are pre drilled, but should I trust them?
Old 11-24-20, 04:00 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
One area I would never buy unbranded carbon is a handlebar. There are alloy bars that are in your price range. Shimano Pro Vibe Alloy bars are less than $100 and for slightly more the Bontrager Elite IsoZone VR-SF bar. Both compatible with your bar end junction box and Di2 wiring.
Old 11-24-20, 04:57 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Zipp and Pro (Shimano) make alloy bars predrilled for the RS910 junction box. I use Zipp Service Course 80 Ergo. $55 new.
Likes For surak:
Old 11-24-20, 05:21 PM
eflayer

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
just need one hole near the end of the bar

why not drill one hole?
Old 11-24-20, 08:30 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Shimano PRO line of handlebars. The allow models come in various widths, shapes, flares, and they are inexpensive. And they are all Di2 ready.
Old 11-25-20, 07:59 AM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Shimano PRO line of handlebars. The allow models come in various widths, shapes, flares, and they are inexpensive. And they are all Di2 ready.
Di2 ready and internal wiring are 2 different things. All the bars listed above only have a hole in the last couple of inches by the bar ends. the wire runs on top of the bar, from the hole and to the shifters. I could drill that into my bars. What I want is a hole at the shifter and usually at bottom of bars by the stem. That way the wires are all inside the bars until they exit by the stem.

All I see like that are $300+ and carbon except the cheap Chinese ones. Any other options? Any one used cheap Chinese carbon bars?
Old 11-25-20, 08:51 AM
eflayer

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
are u running hydro brakes too?

I was all excited about running wire and hydro hoses through the bars and even spent the $300 on FSA K-Wing AGX gravel bars in order to make this happen. And I did the install without any big problems. The problem that happened afterward came from realizing that if you ever want to remove the bars or adjust things very much you end up having to cut the ends off the hoses to remove the bars and that means a whole brake bleeding hassle.

I now prefer running wires and hoses outside the bars and making it easier to make adjustments when necessary.

Originally Posted by Razorrock
Di2 ready and internal wiring are 2 different things. All the bars listed above only have a hole in the last couple of inches by the bar ends. the wire runs on top of the bar, from the hole and to the shifters. I could drill that into my bars. What I want is a hole at the shifter and usually at bottom of bars by the stem. That way the wires are all inside the bars until they exit by the stem.

All I see like that are $300+ and carbon except the cheap Chinese ones. Any other options? Any one used cheap Chinese carbon bars?
Likes For eflayer:
Old 11-25-20, 09:02 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorrock

I'm interested in why this matters to you...? The wires are very thin, and I have never seen nor felt them under my bar tape.

Not trying to argue -- just wondering if I am missing out on something.
Old 11-25-20, 01:19 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
While it's probably ok because the DFly will still be close to the head unit, putting it inside an alloy bar could potentially cause connection issues.
Old 11-25-20, 04:10 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
While it's probably ok because the DFly will still be close to the head unit, putting it inside an alloy bar could potentially cause connection issues.
just drill a few holes next to where the DFly sits
Old 11-26-20, 05:31 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
"I was all excited about running wire and hydro hoses through the bars and even spent the $300 on FSA K-Wing AGX gravel bars in order to make this happen. And I did the install without any big problems. The problem that happened afterward came from realizing that if you ever want to remove the bars or adjust things very much you end up having to cut the ends off the hoses to remove the bars and that means a whole brake bleeding hassle."

This happened yesterday at the shop. The customer could not believe the cost to raise his bars was so high. I told him that replacing brake hose and bleeding the brakes was the big cost. Had the brake lines run outside the bars there would have been enough slack to accomplish what he was looking to do. Like performance, looking sweet with hidden lines comes at a price.
Old 11-26-20, 11:04 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I buy the Chinese ones. So far, so good.

I'd love to find Di2 capable bars in 36cm for my girl.