Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

NBD 2018 Felt VR3

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-20, 08:36 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
NBD 2018 Felt VR3

Sold my 2018 Litespeed T6 105 and bought this 2018 Felt VR3 on sale from Piermont Bike in NY and socked away some money for closing costs when My wife and I buy a house hopefully this spring. I have't gotten to ride it yet, but took off the dummy disc and reflectors, put on my saddle bag, Quad Locks mount, 3M tape on the chain stays, and plan on putting a chain catcher on. I saw the bike on Piermont Bike's NY Ebay site and emailed the owner Glen. He answered all my questions promptly and was very transparent in the pricing. Picked it up last Sunday and boy what a store he has! It was like being a kid in a candy store again or like going to Microcenter for me to look at computer parts lol.

What drew me to this bike was versatility. I have had an array of bikes over the past couple years but all of them were lacking in some sort of way, so I would sell each bike to experience a different type of bike and I finally came to the conclusion that I wanted a bike that was road oriented but could do broken pavement or even light gravel while still being comfortable, climb well, and be able to go fast without having a slammed racing geometry. Also I wanted a bike with pretty modern tech like hydraulic disc brakes and upper end Shimano like 105 and Ultegra. Ideally I would have gotten a Titanium gravel bike and thrown some 35mm slicks on there but those types of bikes start at $4K for a 105 setup. The VR3 stock is like sub 18.5lbs, comes with mechanical Ultegra, has hydraulic disc brakes, comes with 28mm tires and officially supports up to 30mm tires but has been reported to fit 35mm, 48/32 crank will me to keep on spinning while keeping my top speed on flats constant albeit I am no racer/sprinter, and while I wasn't a huge fan of the bright neon green accents at first they do look a lot better in person and serve to keep the bike visible in traffic and boy does the raw carbon looking stunning!

Last edited by Jrasero; 01-30-20 at 08:49 AM.
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 01-30-20, 11:22 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. Nice write-up on these in Bicycling!

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...lt-vr3-review/
Old 01-30-20, 01:18 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Congrats on the new bike. Nice write-up on these in Bicycling!

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...lt-vr3-review/
Thanks. I read that article and helped sell me on the bike's versatility. Also Bike Rumor's launch coverage of the VR series in 2016 really helped explain the bike really well

https://bikerumor.com/2016/08/01/fel...-gravel-bikes/

Not much has changed for 2020 besides that the VR3 is now called VR Advanced Ultegra, MSRP increased by $300, but you now get carbon wheels making it a great value for a high end endurance bike. Whether or not you want to spend $4K on an Endurance bike is another thing entirely
Old 12-02-20, 04:46 AM
Biglebowski

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sizing Felt Vr3

I'm wondering if anyone can advise on sizing? I'm waiting for a delivery of a 58cm frame, Felts guide advised I should be ok on a 58cm, usually go for 56cm but they did not have any stock. I'm just about 6ft in height....I'm hoping it works, not too concerned if I have to shorten the stem length etc. Thanks