Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Shimano Hub.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-20, 08:04 AM
Gtx17

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano Hub.

Hello, I have a 2012 Trek Alpha 1.2 the free hub is very tight when coaxing chain gets very loose. How do I remove the hub? Should I just replace it or rebuild it?
Thanx.

I Believe it's a Shimano Hub.
Old 12-03-20, 09:31 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
it sounds like you have a Trek 1.2 road bike. "Alpha" is how they describe their aluminum tubing, which is really not relevant. just FYI.

is it this bike? https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/...t_2012/details

most likely a generic hub similar to a Shimano design. take the wheel off, remove the cassette cogs, and test how easily the axle and freehub operate. if anything feels loose or crunchy, you can try taking the hub apart and inspecting, lubricating, and reassembling it.

if the freehub is toast, it's unlikely that you'll find a replacement freehub. if this is the case, the most prudent resolution is to replace the whole wheel. unfortunately, replacement freehubs are very difficult to source, and replacing just the hub is not cost-effective unless you're already adept at building wheels.
Old 12-04-20, 10:01 AM
Gtx17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Understand. I already Purchased a wheel master weinmann and was wondering if I should try to fix my old wheel. Looks like answer is no.. Thank You.
Old 12-04-20, 02:20 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
the answer is YES, YOU SHOULD AT LEAST TRY to fix it. what was the result when you checked the axle and freehub like I recommended?
Old 12-04-20, 08:49 PM
Gtx17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
the answer is YES, YOU SHOULD AT LEAST TRY to fix it. what was the result when you checked the axle and freehub like I recommended?
It locks up in one direction as it should, but it's very tight in the opposite (ratcheting) direction.