Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

PSA Microshift thumbshifter/bar end shifters can change speeds without buying new shi

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

PSA Microshift thumbshifter/bar end shifters can change speeds without buying new shi

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-20, 09:10 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts

After various interactions with bikey people, I realized that many people do not realize one advantage to Microshift thumbshifters and bar end shifters is their ability to switch gearing via a simple index plate swap. Since shifters are pricey, one can save a lot of money when updating drivetrain parts.

There are two basic patterns for these shifters,easily distinguishable by the barrel size- small diameter and large diameter. The small diameter does 8,9, 10, 10 Tiagra 4700, and 11 road indexing. The large diameter does 10,11, and 12 MTB.

The index plate on all of these are replaceable, meaning that if one has the 9sp and wishes to index 8, one just has to acquire and swap out the index plate. This is one way to get 8sp indexing (not offered), by buying a 9sp and swapping out the index plate. For 7sp, one can use 8 and have one empty click.

small barrel

index plate
Old 12-01-20, 09:16 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I have been getting to like Microshift products more and more lately, and this is just another example of the reasons why.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 12-01-20, 09:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Where do you get the part?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 12-01-20, 09:30 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Originally Posted by noglider
Where do you get the part?
For wholesale, Im not sure. For retail, my op has links for ea, click on the number
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 12-01-20, 09:52 AM
onsay99

Bikes: 3 road steelys, 3 alu, 1 mtb, 1cx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Campagnolo synchros had a similar setup back in the day where
you could change out the rachet ring to get 6,7,8 speed variations.

Good on microshift for this setup.
Old 12-01-20, 01:42 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
This is good to know, thanks! I've got their 11 spd mountain bar end paired up with an SLX rear der and love it. I actually bought the set and put the front shifter on my daughter's bike. She has trouble shifting with the stock 105 R7000 front shifter (tiny hands).
Old 12-01-20, 02:03 PM
rzldzl

Bikes: 2012 Soma Saga, 2020 Black Mountain Cycles MCD, 1992 Univega Alpina Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks - I have 3 bikes with microshift thumbies/bar ends. Had no idea parts were available.
Old 12-01-20, 06:18 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I have Microshift friction/9i shifters and find them to be very nice. It's great to know these parts are available. Thank you for the heads-up!
Old 12-04-20, 06:35 AM
DorkDisk

Originally Posted by Marylander
This is good to know, thanks! I've got their 11 spd mountain bar end paired up with an SLX rear der and love it. I actually bought the set and put the front shifter on my daughter's bike. She has trouble shifting with the stock 105 R7000 front shifter (tiny hands).
I've noticed that the large barrel front shifter requires less cable pull on a conventional front derailleur. This sounds obvious, but this helps people with small hands as the lever throw is smaller as well.

Originally Posted by rzldzl
Thanks - I have 3 bikes with microshift thumbies/bar ends. Had no idea parts were available.
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I have Microshift friction/9i shifters and find them to be very nice. It's great to know these parts are available. Thank you for the heads-up!
Since the parts are available, one can also purchase the clamps and switch from [flat bar] thumby to [drop bar] bar-end and vise-versa. For example, the schematics of the large barrel shifters:

Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 05-17-21, 12:30 PM
CraigAustin

Bikes: Colnago, Paramount, Fuso

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campagnolo synchros - do you mean the bar end shifters, or the indexing on the brake lever? Or something else.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-21, 04:32 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts

Thumbs up!
Old 05-17-21, 08:25 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,308 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigAustin
Campagnolo synchros - do you mean the bar end shifters, or the indexing on the brake lever? Or something else.

Thanks.
No, Syncros were down tube mounted levers. Usually on braze on lever bosses. They were Campy's initial response to the Big S's SIS levers, late 1980s IIRC. Syncros were known to not index well. But as the rest of their drivetrains were not yet indexed optimized and most were from pre indexing designs that was no surprise. Andy
Old 05-20-21, 10:06 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
No, Syncros were down tube mounted levers. Usually on braze on lever bosses. They were Campy's initial response to the Big S's SIS levers, late 1980s IIRC. Syncros were known to not index well. But as the rest of their drivetrains were not yet indexed optimized and most were from pre indexing designs that was no surprise. Andy
Campy really had a great idea with Syncro. Match the lever insert to the rear derailleur and freewheel, and it was supposed to index. Didn't work then, because of too many variations in parts specs.

Now?

it would work perfectly, since there's only a few standards to work with, and they're actually internally consistent. Microshift could offer the appropriate inserts and have their stuff index perfectly with every combination of parts made since the mid 1990s. You could even have spares on hand, in case the only rear wheel you could find was SRAM, and you have a Shimano rear derailleur and Campy shifters.

--Shannon
Old 05-21-21, 10:05 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,308 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
Campy really had a great idea with Syncro. Match the lever insert to the rear derailleur and freewheel, and it was supposed to index. Didn't work then, because of too many variations in parts specs.

Now?

it would work perfectly, since there's only a few standards to work with, and they're actually internally consistent. Microshift could offer the appropriate inserts and have their stuff index perfectly with every combination of parts made since the mid 1990s. You could even have spares on hand, in case the only rear wheel you could find was SRAM, and you have a Shimano rear derailleur and Campy shifters.

--Shannon
And I vote Shannon provide the funding to test out all those combinations as well as the manufacturing and distribution Andy (who in theory agrees but who has both feet based in reality)
Old 05-21-21, 12:02 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
And I vote Shannon provide the funding to test out all those combinations as well as the manufacturing and distribution Andy (who in theory agrees but who has both feet based in reality)
Well, I can't provide the funding for such testing, but I'd be happy to be a beta tester... all I need is a couple dozen test bikes... and boxes of parts.

I will be reaching out to Microshift to propose this. I expect a positive response in short order.

--Shannon