Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone Enjoy Their Clip-in Pedals?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-03-20, 09:01 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts

They've helped me pedal at a noticeably higher cadence in a lower gear far more efficiently. Im enjoying them tremendously.

They feel a little weird with Biopace at first. Seems you must be extra mindful of your timing with each pedal stroke. Which is certainly a good thing.

when I briefly tried using them with circular chainrings, it seemed easier and more natural feeling to just spin. I didn't seem to need to put much effort into the timing of each stroke.

What do you guys think of them?
Old 12-03-20, 09:35 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
They work great with circular chainrings. Biopace is 90° out of phase from where it could (possibly) be useful.
Old 12-03-20, 10:11 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You certainly have a lot of time on your hands, don't you?
Old 12-03-20, 10:17 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
They've helped me pedal at a noticeably higher cadence in a lower gear far more efficiently. Im enjoying them tremendously.

They feel a little weird with Biopace at first. Seems you must be extra mindful of your timing with each pedal stroke. Which is certainly a good thing.

when I briefly tried using them with circular chainrings, it seemed easier and more natural feeling to just spin. I didn't seem to need to put much effort into the timing of each stroke.

What do you guys think of them?
After ~20 years of toestraps, clipless was a revelation. I think it was the most significant* technological advance affecting how I cycle in ~45 years of riding. It fundamentally changed how I interacted with the bike and how I pedaled, for the better, IMO.
*"brifters" a close second
Likes For Litespud:
Old 12-03-20, 10:31 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Yes, I like clipless pedals (spd). Been using them exclusively since 2003.

Nothing to do with 'efficiency', 'power transfer', 'pulling up', or any other such nonsense.

Simply put, they keep my feet securely on the pedals when pedaling, and release instantly when necessary.
Likes For badger1:
Old 12-03-20, 11:09 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
Was an early adopter from rat traps (toe straps) to the early Look Deltas way back when. Quite an incredible difference compared to toe straps where you always have to anticipate and prepare your stops in advance. Getting out of the saddle for starting in a high gear, sprinting or hill climbing helps me put the power down when I need it. When the quads are spent, I can give them a rest by pulling through and up with my calves. Won’t ever go back.

If you are not into power or speed you can ignore the above, but you will still gain a sense of security after you fall a couple times, since everyone does.

Last edited by rsbob; 12-03-20 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-04-20, 04:03 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I can take or leave foot retention. I've used toe clips and clipless on road bikes, and prefer platform pedals on my hybrids. I've ridden my road bikes with platform pedals and there was little or no difference in my speeds over familiar routes.

Some of my fastest Strava segments and overall times are still from 2017 when I rode my old steel road bike with flat pedals for a few months before switching to clipless.

In 2019 I got a carbon fiber road bike and rode it for a week or two with platform pedals and my usual sneaker/walking shoes. Same results -- just as fast, and I still haven't bettered some of my PRs from that week.

Main reason I still use foot retention on some bikes is for the rigid soles and better arch support. Occasionally I get painful arch spasms riding at full effort just wearing sneakers or walking shoes with platform pedals.

GCN has done at least three videos with different presenters and somewhat different testing methodology and didn't find any significant differences between clipless and platform pedals. None of them looked particularly comfortable with platform pedals, yet the results were about the same.

If I don't use one or the other for awhile -- a couple of weeks or longer -- sometimes it takes a few minutes to adapt my pedaling style to suit either platforms or clipless. But it's no big deal.

I may switch my old steel road bike back to platforms since I prefer no foot retention for urban rides and casual group rides with lots of stops. I'll keep foot retention on my carbon fiber bikes, mostly for the rigid soles and better arch support.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-04-20, 04:49 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
For rides I do with my wife, I use a Jamis Renegade that is the bike I use for light touring and riding on dirt/gravel roads, rail trails etc. I put-dual sided pedals on that bike, so I can ride with sneakers when we'll be doing a good deal of walking in addition to biking but use SPD cleats/shoes when I want to.

Every time I go back to flat pedals/sneakers I rediscover how much easier it is to get started from a dead stop with one foot clipped in, especially on an uphill stop. And my feet never quite feel like they are in the right spot.

I did find a set of SPD shoes that are have enough tread on the sole to keep the SPD cleat recessed and are stiff enough to be useful biking but not so bad walking in - good for touring as the only shoes I bring. But, longer walks or hikes in sneakers are way more enjoyable.
Old 12-04-20, 05:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
I hate clipless pedals, which is why I have been using them for decades.
Old 12-04-20, 06:44 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
I use them because I like the way the shoes look and how they make me walk like a penguin.....
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 12-04-20, 07:36 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I tried them once but it didn't work out. I got clipped in just fine, but wasn't able to un-clip. The bike is in the back of my garage with shoes still attached.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 12-04-20, 08:16 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
I like em so much, even my flat pedals click in.

Old 12-04-20, 09:29 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
They work great with circular chainrings. Biopace is 90° out of phase from where it could (possibly) be useful.
I agree. I will play around with the orientation a bit first and see before probably switching back to circular chainrings.

According to the nubs on the biopace chainrings - should I orient the rings 90 degrees backwards? Or 180 degrees forwards?
Old 12-04-20, 09:33 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I guess you could say enjoy, but on a tadpole trike they are a safety feature. If you foot would fall off the pedal at a higher speed on a bump, your foot could be caught under the cross bar and cause injury.

Then there is the convenience of staying clipped in on a trike at a stop. When the light turns green, your just start pedaling again. There is no scratching around, no wobble while trying to get clipped in again. This is one reason that when riding in town a trike is the easiest way to cycle.
Old 12-04-20, 10:13 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
I have been riding clipless petals since first buying the Look first petals that still are on my bike. It’s not even a thought to ride a bike with out them. Remember the days of scraped shins from missing getting it the clip petals.
Old 12-04-20, 10:13 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I guess you could say enjoy, but on a tadpole trike they are a safety feature. If you foot would fall off the pedal at a higher speed on a bump, your foot could be caught under the cross bar and cause injury.

Then there is the convenience of staying clipped in on a trike at a stop. When the light turns green, your just start pedaling again. There is no scratching around, no wobble while trying to get clipped in again. This is one reason that when riding in town a trike is the easiest way to cycle.
Can you just stop already?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-04-20, 10:14 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I like Look pedals for walking down stairs or down steep slopes. Have a few beers and try that for a really good time.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-04-20, 10:16 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
I have found with Biopace I get the best results using a platform pedal on the right side and an Egg beater on the left.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 12-04-20, 10:43 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
When I was still using toe clips and straps with cleated shoes I had no problem with foot retention but in order to be most efficient the strap had to be tight enough that it would be uncomfortable on longer rides. Clipless pedals solve that problem and it didn't take long to get used to unclipping when I had to stop, much easier than having to reach down to loosen the buckle on the strap to remove my foot from the pedal. For me, the biggest benefit is foot comfort
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 12-04-20, 10:56 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I agree. I will play around with the orientation a bit first and see before probably switching back to circular chainrings.

According to the nubs on the biopace chainrings - should I orient the rings 90 degrees backwards? Or 180 degrees forwards?
Remember, if it is a Fermion, you have to rotate 720° to return to its initial state. Keep in mind that the fiber bundle that describes the Hilbert Space is doubly-connected.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 12-04-20, 02:05 PM
DVC45

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I ditched them a couple years ago. I don't hate them, but the flat pedals gives my feet and choice of shoes more freedom. I don't ride competitively. Just commuting and for leisure.
Likes For DVC45:
Old 12-04-20, 05:58 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
My first “10 speed” bike, a Schwinn Continental, came with “rat trap” toe clips and straps so that’s what I used. After the first time I tipped over when I came to a stop and couldn’t get out of the pedals, I learned to not keep the straps too tight. I did like that they kept my feet in a relatively proper position on the pedals. When the “Mountain bike” craze hit my Schwinn was pretty much kicked to the curb as was having my feet secured to the pedals. While in the Army, I was stationed in Italy and treated myself to a hand built Italian “road bike”. It came with Look pedals so that’s what I used. Again, I liked the way they kept my feet in proper position on the pedals. However, I disliked any amount of walking in the Look cleated shoes especially if using the rubber cleat protectors. When I learned of the SPD system I bought in and loved them. I bought shoes with a recessed area for the cleat which made walking almost normal. Shoes of that type are not often associated with road bikes but several of my “road” bikes are equipped with SPD type pedals. Fear not, the Italian road bike still has the Campagnolo branded Look style pedals and yes, I still walk “funny” when wearing the Look cleated shoes.
So, in answer to the OP’s question, I very much enjoy using clipless pedals and think that I would say that with most any style. IMHO, those that say they “hate them” haven’t given them a chance to prove their worth!
Old 12-04-20, 07:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
...According to the nubs on the biopace chainrings - should I orient the rings 90 degrees backwards? Or 180 degrees forwards?
Try them for a couple of weeks or a month in factory standard orientation. Takes awhile to feel comfortable with Biopace.

I tried every possible orientation of both Biopace rings on a road bike double 52/42 set, and always returned to the standard orientation.

The 52 ring is barely non-round, so reorienting it won't make a big difference.

The smaller 42 Biopace ring is much more eccentric and you'll feel a noticeable difference in every possible position with a typical 5-bolt crank spider. Some of those alternative position will feel very wrong, with less felt effort on the downstroke and more "resistance" on the upstroke. When you find that position you won't want to ride it that way more than once.

The only alternative position that felt okay to me was advanced one position clockwise from standard. But I returned to the standard position after a month or two.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-04-20, 07:30 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
like but seldom use

When I first retired and did a lot of group rides I used SPDs and always marveled at their improvement over my old rattraps. I actually have two regular sets and one version that is both flat and clip. I use those when traveling and not knowing what type of riding I might find and I use the others for the now rare group rides as part of my disguise as a serious cyclist and not my usual Fred the Tourist mode. I find with older knees and leg/foot problems I prefer the "float" capabilities of platforms for almost all my regular riding. (I keep six bikes, so I'm not having to switch them around!). It also provides a plausible excuse for N+1.
Old 12-04-20, 11:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
obvious trolling thread. find a new hobby. this schtick is old.
I have seen the term “troll” thrown around very loosely on this site and believe I am seeing it again. Please explain how this thread meets this common definition of trolling:

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] either for the troll's amusement, or to achieve a specific result such as disrupting a rival's online activities or manipulating a political process.

I see no examples so far of any of the above except by your baseless accusation, and personal attack “this schtick is old”.

On the contrary this thread has no name calling, personal attacks, etc that I have seen on all too many threads.

Again, how he is a troll given the above definition. Maybe your misuse of “troll” is for lack of a better term for someone you don’t care for or disagree with. Of course you could always just ignore the OP’s posts if you find them so objectionable. Just a thought.

Likes For rsbob:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.