Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

single speed freewheel versus SS cog

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-20, 07:28 AM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

All of my single speeds are conversions on either Shimano XT hubs or Hope hubs. I am running wolftooth, Chris King, and Surly cogs. What's the benefits of a single speed freewheel rear hub besides the better bracing angle of the spokes? do they make any that are 135 spaced and disc brake? For the record I'm a buck 80 and I have never destroyed a wheel so I'm not really concerned about the extra bracing angle of the spokes for me anyways. Just wondered if there was any other advantages or disadvantages?
Old 11-17-20, 01:12 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
SS freewheel hubs for mountain bikes: Surly, Paul, White Industries come to mind. Paul seems to be the only one making a boost spaced hub (148mm) for freewheels, too.
I don't really see any advantages to a freewheel. if that's what you have, keep it. if you're building a new wheel, I'd skip it.
you can buy a SS hub that has a HG freehub, which makes fine-tuning the chainline and changing cogs a lot easier than a freewheel. I don't think the "stronger wheel because bracing angles" is really that big a selling point for SS-specific hubs either. my most recent wheel purchase what a I9 1-1 boost hub designed for full 11-speed cassettes and I just put spacers and a Surly cog on it.
Old 11-17-20, 05:08 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
SS freewheel hubs for mountain bikes: Surly, Paul, White Industries come to mind. Paul seems to be the only one making a boost spaced hub (148mm) for freewheels, too.
I don't really see any advantages to a freewheel. if that's what you have, keep it. if you're building a new wheel, I'd skip it.
you can buy a SS hub that has a HG freehub, which makes fine-tuning the chainline and changing cogs a lot easier than a freewheel. I don't think the "stronger wheel because bracing angles" is really that big a selling point for SS-specific hubs either. my most recent wheel purchase what a I9 1-1 boost hub designed for full 11-speed cassettes and I just put spacers and a Surly cog on it.
Thanks for the reply. I've been running single speed setups like this for several years now and although I'm not the most abusive person out there I've never had a problem. It's just Christmas is coming up and I have no idea what to tell the old lady when she asks what I want lol. so my mind is just brainstorming of all the cool things I could do but I think the money would be better off spent somewhere else like on extra cogs or maybe a new chain ring.
Old 11-17-20, 11:52 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by trail_monkey
What's the benefits of a single speed freewheel rear hub
The way they sound!

Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-18-20, 05:58 AM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by Rolla
The way they sound!

Just listen

👍 I have Hope hubs on one bike 🙂
Likes For trail_monkey:
Old 11-18-20, 04:20 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
you can buy a SS hub that has a HG freehub, which makes fine-tuning the chainline and changing cogs a lot easier than a freewheel.
Pretty much my thoughts, too. I have one of each based on the type of wheel I had. Other things being equal, I’d take a freehub for SS only for the flexibility in picking cogs and setting chainline. OTOH, freewheels and track cogs can work together on flip flop hubs to do both fixed and freewheel.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 11-18-20 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-18-20, 05:17 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
That Hope hub sounds crazy! If I installed one on my SS I can forget about clothes pinning hockey cards in my spokes
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 11-18-20, 05:26 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by Speedway2
That Hope hub sounds crazy! If I installed one on my SS I can forget about clothes pinning hockey cards in my spokes
😄😄👍 Right on man
Old 11-19-20, 12:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I love my White Industries Freewheels but if I had a frame that could accept say a 135mm or 142mm wheel I would probably do a dedicated single speed freehub hub or even a standard cassette hub like Industry Nine. Freewheels are great for my 120 spaced bikes as sometimes I want freewheel and sometimes I want fixed but if I was building my dream Single Speed GravGrav RowdyRandoTiPiper to replace my current Cinelli frame (which I love and have no need to get rid of for the time being) I want more options in case I decide maybe I do want a derailleur on down the line.
Old 11-19-20, 01:52 PM
acoustophile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 59 Posts
I like freehubs better because they leave more options for rear cogs and are easier to switch out than a freewheel.