Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it a bad idea to ride my bike on the ocean beach ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-20, 08:21 AM
red sled

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I understand that saltwater is corrosive but I love the beach and my legs/hips won't let me walk very far. However, I can ride my bike for miles without pain.

I found a decent second-hand 18-speed bike for $50 and ride it daily in our 55+ community. If I ride it at the beach on the packed damp sand do I need to wash it off thoroughly after each time and will that be enough to prevent damage to the bike ?

Thanks in advance for any insight and recommendations.
Old 11-20-20, 08:29 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Nah, just the drive train (to remove the sand). You living next to the beach will in itself make everything corrode faster. But the sand will quickly wear down the cogs and chain. However, if the bike is solely used on the beach, it will get sand on the drivetrain the very next time you're there, so maybe it doesn't matter.

I will recommend, however, that when you get it, you clean the drive train completely and then use dry lube. That way, the drivetrain won't attract the sand. Dry lube isn't as good as wet lube, but in this case it is. You just need to apply it more often.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-20-20, 09:52 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by red sled
I understand that saltwater is corrosive but I love the beach and my legs/hips won't let me walk very far. However, I can ride my bike for miles without pain.

I found a decent second-hand 18-speed bike for $50 and ride it daily in our 55+ community. If I ride it at the beach on the packed damp sand do I need to wash it off thoroughly after each time and will that be enough to prevent damage to the bike ?

it’s a $50 bike, and riding on the beach sounds like a lot of fun. Hose it off at the end of the day and squirt some lube on the drivetrain occasionally. It’s going to corrode a bit, but not so it’ll stop working.
Old 11-20-20, 10:04 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
A $50 bike? Just keep it clean and if possible, store it indoors or under a cloth cover. Salt air will corrode the thing, but it is old, and it won't corrode so much you won't be able to ride it for several seasons.

What other say regarding the drivetrain is right as far as I know.

have a ton of fun.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-20-20, 10:47 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
keep riding it with no worries. Bikes are tough
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 11-20-20, 01:58 PM
red sled

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanks to all who replied. Yeah, I bought the used bike so I wasn't out a ton of cash if it stopped working. I'll enjoy the beach and clean it afterwards, and use dry lube on the moving parts. Cheers !
Likes For red sled:
Old 11-20-20, 04:14 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
Nah, just the drive train (to remove the sand). You living next to the beach will in itself make everything corrode faster. But the sand will quickly wear down the cogs and chain. However, if the bike is solely used on the beach, it will get sand on the drivetrain the very next time you're there, so maybe it doesn't matter.

I will recommend, however, that when you get it, you clean the drive train completely and then use dry lube. That way, the drivetrain won't attract the sand. Dry lube isn't as good as wet lube, but in this case it is. You just need to apply it more often.
Perfect advice, not much more to add except maybe that the worst thing short-term (months) would be your chain rusts and seizes. Eventually, all other metal parts, even rust-resistant bolts will start corroding.
Old 11-20-20, 06:06 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
When I lived in LA I rode my Bianchi along the beach path to work almost daily. The salt air put quite a bit of surface rust on exposed parts of the frame, but the bike is now almost 40 years old and still going strong. Think I've replaced most every component on the bike throughout the years, some multiple times.

Chains are cheap. Keep it clean and lubed and enjoy the ride.
Old 11-20-20, 06:59 PM
ARider2

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I have been riding an old Schwinn on the beach for years. One time I did have to replace a wheel but I think that may have been due to a rash of bad spokes that effected many bikes around 10 years ago, or it could have been from riding on the beach. Now I make sure to keep the bike cleaner as it does attract white residue from the dust of the sand and the salt air.
Old 11-20-20, 08:05 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
I'd rinse the whole bicycle down with water after a beach ride to remove any sand that had been thrown up on bicycle by the wheels. A better option: Do you have any streets or off-street bicycle paths you could ride on instead of the beach sand?
Old 11-21-20, 12:06 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts

I live in SoCal and ride up and down the coast 4 x week. All I do is wipe my bike down with a wet rag once a week. On a few occasions there’s an under pass on PCH that’s gets flooded during high tide and if my bike gets wet I wipe it down including the wheels soon as I get home. You don’t want salt water on your bike.
Old 11-21-20, 06:26 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts

Sure! Then rest it against a tree when you’re done.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 11-21-20, 07:51 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Is it a nude beach?
Dude, did you miss the part about 55+ community?
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 11-21-20, 08:54 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The only way I would ride on an ocean front beach would be with a $25 beater bike I bought at a garage sale.
Old 11-21-20, 09:05 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The only way I would ride on an ocean front beach would be with a $25 beater bike I bought at a garage sale.
It's a $50 bike. It's a 55+ community. And he likes to ride on the beach. What you and I would do with more expensive bikes doesn't matter.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-22-20, 07:24 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by cubewheels
Wait for the bike to break down and then buy a fatbike or a cruiser with fat tires as replacement. You'll then be able to ride on the dry part of the beach, less worries about corrosion.
Ummmm ... . why is it that you seem to believe that a fatbike is more corrosion-resistant then a bike with thinner tires? Are there magic tires?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-22-20, 10:16 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Just keep the bike clean after riding and keep an eye out for corrosion. Use a dry chain lube and apply after washing the sand out of your chain. If the bike does rust away then just run down to Walmart and buy a BSO and ride it until it rusts.
Old 11-22-20, 03:43 PM
cycletheworld78

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It can't be easy biking in those conditions
Old 11-23-20, 05:43 AM
Maelochs

I get lots of ridicule lately. Is this because I live in a poor country and because I'm a poor cyclist, non-elite? Racism?
Acute paranoia?

I didn't notice what country you hail from until you mentioned it.

Read OP's post. He rides his bike on damp packed sand. Damp sand is more corrossive.

Fat bike can also be ridden on the dry sand parts of the beach. Dry sand is less is corrosive.

It's not about magic, racist tires. Just the fact, it allows you to ride over dry sand as well. Good luck with more insults and keep on following me in every threads I make posts.
As a matter of fact, @cubewheels, I was the one counseling you not to get all worked up about responses, in another thread, the thread about chain lube.

Further. wet or dry sand is more or less corrosive? Not factual as far as I can figure. Wet sand will fly about less, while dry sand will fly more .... which means it will stick to the drive train and be More corrosive. I used to ride an MTB trail with deep sandy sections ... the fine dust kicked up ij the dry sections gets Everywhere, into every moving part, even the headset. Firm, damp sand usually gets just on the BB and chain stays and brushes off when it dries. .

Further, there two greatest corrosives at a beach are salt water and salt air. So, if the OP doesn't ride in the water or doesn't leave salt water on the bike, he will have no particular problem.

Salt air, anywhere near a beach, will damage everything, but mostly with a layer of surface rust---it will pit chrome and leave ugly spots but the low concentration of salt generally means that the rust is only superficial.

So, if the OP rinses his bike and throws a cloth over it when he parks it, or parks it indoors in an air-conditioned environment, his bike should not get corroded At All. Riding on wet sand will not cause corrosion particularly, because as with air, the concentrations is low .... the water will dry quickly, there isn't much salt in it anyway. Dry sand is, in my experience at least, more destructive to drive trains.

Just a word to the wise .... Lay off the accusations of racism. If you always think everyone who disagrees with you is racist, You are the one starting fights over race.

No one here knows anything about anyone else. I could be Chinese, a black man from Jamaica, a half black-half French woman from Vietnam, a hermaphrodite for Surinam,, a giant lizard from Guyana, a Russian expatriate living in the U.S. .... I could be Hispanic from half the countries in South America or Europe ... I could be Aleutian or Maori.

I could be three different people sharing a computer and sharing an account.

Maybe---just Maybe---people respond to What You Actually Type.

Consider that.

Last edited by Maelochs; 11-23-20 at 05:47 AM.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-29-20, 02:00 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
IMO a Pacific Schwinn should be a perfect candidate for this mission.lol
Old 12-01-20, 05:42 AM
Pratt

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
This thread was right next to one on Rust Prevention when I opened up the website this am.
Old 12-01-20, 06:13 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Everyone knows that salt water is corrosive, promotes oxidation.

Anyone that uses a bicycle as his/her basic mode of exercise and lives in a retirement community next to the beach can afford to replace a yard sale bike on a yearly basis. So ride like the wind my friend!
Likes For Thomas15: