Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New Spring Bike Which do i go with

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

New Spring Bike Which do i go with

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-20, 12:53 AM
shadowsspy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question New Spring Bike Which do i go with

Getting a new bike in the spring i dont have a huge budget but willing to go out of my comfort zone for the right bike. Paved bike trails, sidewalks and paved roads are what im riding on but i want really good brakes as i had a crash that kind of shook my faith in biking. Im looking at Norco XFR 3 or Specalized Chisel Chomp/Rockhopper Expert 29 and would love to get some more opinions on them before i commit to which one im going to get in spring.
Old 11-21-20, 06:56 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
shadowsspy.....is there a reason/need for a suspension fork?

For your intended use(s) I would suggest an un-suspended bike. You're better off putting that money towards better components or accessories. You'll get a better bike, lighter and less maintenance.

For stopping power disc's work great but there's also nothing wrong with rim brakes with good pads. It also depends on properly setting up whatever type of brakes you go with.

It's getting harder to find bikes these days so it may be a factor in what you end up with....
Old 11-21-20, 09:53 AM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by shadowsspy
Getting a new bike in the spring i dont have a huge budget but willing to go out of my comfort zone for the right bike. Paved bike trails, sidewalks and paved roads are what im riding on but i want really good brakes as i had a crash that kind of shook my faith in biking. Im looking at Norco XFR 3 or Specalized Chisel Chomp/Rockhopper Expert 29 and would love to get some more opinions on them before i commit to which one im going to get in spring.
The Rockhopper is twice the price, and is significantly better-equipped. Even if not twice the value, you can be confident you'll be getting a much better bike, starting with the front suspension, the most distinctive component of both bikes. Superior brakes and tires will, or should, make the Rockhopper easier to stop, in a greater range of conditions. Riding the bikes will tell you which bike FITS you best, and FIT is important to how well you will be able to control the bike in any number of ways and conditions, including stopping.

Speedway2 also gives you something essential to consider/weigh, given the kind of terrain you ride and expect to ride; and, speaking of weight, note that a lighter bike will or should always be easier to control and stop. Unless you're going up and off those sidewalks a lot, in which case, the suspension will/can be a big plus, the forks on these bikes may only or mostly contribute weight you don't need. And lastly on weight, I would expect that lighter weight is one of the advantages of the premium you'd be paying for superior components on the Rockhopper. Finally, but only parenthetically, color is critical, and the options on neither bike moved me , which would make me keep looking. Enjoy the shopping and your eventual choice.

Last edited by BiciMan; 11-21-20 at 09:59 AM.