Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Seat versus chamois. Why is pad location important?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 08-08-15, 07:47 PM
Haff
Runaway Breadtruck

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8, Giant Defy Advanced 2, TT Cruiser, GT Zaskar, Diggler scooter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've seen it stated time and again here. A soft seat is bad, but a soft chamois is good. In both cases its a pad between my crotch and the hard part of the seat, so why does it matter where the pad lives?

sorry if this is answered somewhere already. I did some searching, but did not find the answer.
Old 08-08-15, 07:53 PM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
I keep asking the same damn question and have yet to be an answer...
Old 08-08-15, 08:03 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
People forget the real purpose of the chamois. It isn't for "padding" it's to absorb movement. Back in the day.... wool or cotton shorts and/or underwear would create friction between the cyclist and the saddle. Of course the result was blisters.

So layers of soft chamois goat skins were loosely stitched together and worn next to the skin of the cyclist. The cyclists moist sweaty skin would cause the soft leather to more-or-less adhere to the skin and any movement would be isolated in the loose layers of the chamois... preventing blisters.

Of course the new cushy stuff works great too!
Old 08-08-15, 08:08 PM
Haff
Runaway Breadtruck

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8, Giant Defy Advanced 2, TT Cruiser, GT Zaskar, Diggler scooter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
so..... if I put kinesio tape on my crotch i wonder if that would work as well.
Old 08-08-15, 08:19 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Originally Posted by Haff
so..... if I put kinesio tape on my crotch i wonder if that would work as well.
Can't hurt to try! OR... you could put a few layers of super soft goat skin on one hand and tape your other hand and see if they feel the same.
Old 08-08-15, 08:39 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
People forget the real purpose of the chamois. It isn't for "padding" it's to absorb movement. Back in the day.... wool or cotton shorts and/or underwear would create friction between the cyclist and the saddle. Of course the result was blisters.

So layers of soft chamois goat skins were loosely stitched together and worn next to the skin of the cyclist. The cyclists moist sweaty skin would cause the soft leather to more-or-less adhere to the skin and any movement would be isolated in the loose layers of the chamois... preventing blisters.

Of course the new cushy stuff works great too!
There ya go.

You're not looking for a "soft chamois" whatever that even is. You're looking for a friction barrier.
Old 08-08-15, 09:01 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
better padded bibs over padded saddle. Pads shouldn't be really soft, but more for wicking away sweat so there isn't a friction problem. So many man made fabrics out there that bib pads change year after year.

Hell my saddle doesn't even have padding Fizik Kurve...
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 08-08-15, 09:30 PM
Dave Cutter

Originally Posted by jsigone
...... my saddle doesn't even have padding Fizik Kurve...
Yeah.... my favorite saddle a Stella is pretty firm as well.

I ride a road bike.... so a lot of padding isn't really needed (or desirable) if the cyclists distributes their weight between the three contact points... hands-handlebar, feet-pedals, seat-saddle. Although this distribution might be more difficult with some other bicycle set-ups.

But big cushy padded saddles or shorts isn't really a fix no matter what your ride.

The saddle should be sized for the cyclists sit bones. The area will toughen over time... but there is a break-in (sore behind) period for new cyclists. Remember the soreness is just a natural part of the learning curve. Give yourself time to heal and adjust.

Some of the sore-behind is caused by blood pooling in the large muscles. Stand-up frequently when cycling and allow the blood to circulate.
Old 08-09-15, 08:16 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Haff
I've seen it stated time and again here. A soft seat is bad, but a soft chamois is good.
A soft chamois is bad for the same reasons - it puts pressure on soft tissues like your pudendal nerve leading to pain and other discomfort.

Chamois are to prevent chafing - they wick sweat and move with you while the short stays with the seat - not provide padding.

My worn out shorts from 1997 with flat synthetic leather chamois are more comfortable than all the modern diaper shorts I've tried (Louis Garneau, Pearl Izumi, Performance) except maybe my Voler shorts with the Elastic Interface Technology Comp HP pad using 120 kg/m^3 foam under the sit bones.

The Boure PRO short and bib are still made like that. Great chamois, although I can feel the thicker material wrinkling pedaling and they're short in front so they don't mate to all jerseys.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
menschms2.JPG (68.4 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-11-15 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-09-15, 08:38 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's not about padding. It's about moisture wicking and heat absorption. Hard seats are fine. Pants that allow sweat to stay against the skin are not. Bike pants are designed to shed heat and pull moisture away from the skin.
Old 08-09-15, 05:16 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
One lesson I've learned since changing saddles, is that bibs and their chamois can be just as personal as saddles. Since changing saddles, bibs that were not comfortable on the old saddle are better with the new one and vice versa. Adding chamois cream adds a whole new dimension too