Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Advice for a budget bike

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Advice for a budget bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-19, 04:21 PM
Sporkling

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice for a budget bike

Hi everyone,
I'm looking to get a new bike in the city but would like it to be adequate for covering some distance on bike paths as well. My last bike was a super heavy mountain Norco from 18 years ago, and man was it a chore to use now, lol. Anyway I've not really been cycling for a while now but I'm really thrilled about getting something that's going to actually ride smooth and not weigh a ton.
I've got a tiny student budget and really can't go above 500 cad after taxes... I've looked around for used bikes, but I don't feel comfortable enough to get a good deal. Anyway, right now I'm looking at clearances and have identified these two.
Trek FX 1 at 500$ total from a nice local cycling store
And
Diadora Veneto from an all-around sports place (Sports Experts website, I can't post URLs, sorry). I know Diadora isn't much of a brand, but seeing as the discount is much steeper, I thought you might look at the specs for me? Disc brakes would be nice I suppose but that's not that important to me.

Thanks for the time
Old 08-29-19, 09:46 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
A Giant Escape is within your budget.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-escape-2020
Old 08-29-19, 09:51 PM
Sporkling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love that, but unfortunately that's in USD. My max total budget is is 500 CAD or 375 USD right now
Old 08-30-19, 03:15 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
The Diadora seems to be a little better specced than the FX1. I don't have any experience with mechanical disc brakes so I'm not sure how much, if any, improvement they are over V-brakes. Hydraulic disc brakes certainly are much better, but the Diadora has mechanicals.
FX1 has freewheel instead of freehub - that is an obsolete piece of technology and basicaly non-upgradeable. The vague specs on the Diadora don't mention it and I can't tell for sure from the picture, but if it has a freehub/cassette, that is an important advantage - it means you could upgrade your drivetrain if you'd want to (not that there's anything wrong with Acera level drivetrain for commuting). It also isn't prone to bending/breaking of the rear axle like a freehub setup is, due to narrower spacing of bearings.

Other than that there aren't much differences between the two - fit would be the most important factor. That and personal preference regarding looks and/or brand names.
Old 08-30-19, 03:20 AM
Sporkling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
The Diadora seems to be a little better specced than the FX1. I don't have any experience with mechanical disc brakes so I'm not sure how much, if any, improvement they are over V-brakes. Hydraulic disc brakes certainly are much better, but the Diadora has mechanicals.
FX1 has freewheel instead of freehub - that is an obsolete piece of technology and basicaly non-upgradeable. The vague specs on the Diadora don't mention it and I can't tell for sure from the picture, but if it has a freehub/cassette, that is an important advantage - it means you could upgrade your drivetrain if you'd want to (not that there's anything wrong with Acera level drivetrain for commuting). It also isn't prone to bending/breaking of the rear axle like a freehub setup is, due to narrower spacing of bearings.

Other than that there aren't much differences between the two - fit would be the most important factor. That and personal preference regarding looks and/or brand names.
Hey, thank you for the input!
I will call tomorrow and ask about that. The Trek definitely looks better to me, and there's the brand name and lifetime warranty, but then, how much might I be spending into the name alone?
Also, interesting, because I didn't even know there were different types of disc brakes. I have to admit that, in the first place, the 50$+ difference actually means a lot to me in my current situation.
Thanks!
-Sporky
Old 08-30-19, 05:42 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
https://www.sportsexperts.ca/en-CA/p...27770/427770-2

If that's the Diadora model you're looking at, it looks like a pretty good buy. The drivetrain appears to be a 3x8 (3 chainrings on the crankset and 8 sprockets on the rear wheel). That's almost certainly the better freehub design that @subgrade noted above. It's not guaranteed; 8-speed freewheels do exist, but they're pretty uncommon. The mechanical disc brakes should work well once they're broken in. It'll take 5-10 miles probably before the pads and discs really break in, and they'll stop well after that. Disc brakes aren't necessarily better than rim brakes (especially mechanical discs); they're just different. Each brake type has its own pros and cons. Hydraulic disc brakes start to get into a different realm in terms of braking power and modulation (superior to mechanical discs), but maintenance isn't quite as simple either. Again, pros and cons.

You'll likely get better service after the sale from the Trek dealer. They'll set the bike up correctly (and fit the frame and all the adjustments to your body) and they'll likely offer a period (or lifetime) of no-cost adjustments (shifters, brakes, etc.). There is value in that, especially if you don't have the desire or time to do that sort of work yourself. The sports store where you buy the Diadora will likely be of no help after the sale, so you'd be on your own for that. Diadora probably offers a warranty on the frame (if it cracks or breaks), but the process wouldn't be as smooth as it would be through Trek and your local bike shop.
Old 08-30-19, 06:30 AM
Sporkling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd

If that's the Diadora model you're looking at, it looks like a pretty good buy. The drivetrain appears to be a 3x8 (3 chainrings on the crankset and 8 sprockets on the rear wheel). That's almost certainly the better freehub design that @subgrade noted above. It's not guaranteed; 8-speed freewheels do exist, but they're pretty uncommon. The mechanical disc brakes should work well once they're broken in. It'll take 5-10 miles probably before the pads and discs really break in, and they'll stop well after that. Disc brakes aren't necessarily better than rim brakes (especially mechanical discs); they're just different. Each brake type has its own pros and cons. Hydraulic disc brakes start to get into a different realm in terms of braking power and modulation (superior to mechanical discs), but maintenance isn't quite as simple either. Again, pros and cons.

You'll likely get better service after the sale from the Trek dealer. They'll set the bike up correctly (and fit the frame and all the adjustments to your body) and they'll likely offer a period (or lifetime) of no-cost adjustments (shifters, brakes, etc.). There is value in that, especially if you don't have the desire or time to do that sort of work yourself. The sports store where you buy the Diadora will likely be of no help after the sale, so you'd be on your own for that. Diadora probably offers a warranty on the frame (if it cracks or breaks), but the process wouldn't be as smooth as it would be through Trek and your local bike shop.
Thank you so very much for your advice. I mean that! I guess in the end I would have to go with the Diadora then, because even though it might seem like a small different for someone with financial means, that difference also means the difference between struggling with my meals at the of end this month or not. And I really can't wait until October to buy a bike!!
You did avoid saying what you think is the best deal, though. Please do!
Thanks again.
-Sporky
Old 08-30-19, 01:05 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
The benefit I've found with mechanical disc brakes vs. rim brakes is not so much in stopping power but rather in ease of adjustment. With disc brakes it's just a matter of turning a screw to move the pad in or out -- no worries about getting the pad aligned right or toed in. The stopping power of mechanical disc brakes and rim brakes is about the same in my experience (nowhere near the power of hydraulics). Having spent a lot of time trying to get rim brakes set up right, I'm sold on disc brakes.

FX1 has freewheel instead of freehub - that is an obsolete piece of technology and basicaly non-upgradeable. The vague specs on the Diadora don't mention it and I can't tell for sure from the picture
It has a 3x8 drive train (as opposed to a 3x7), so it's probably a freehub.

I agree that the Diadora is the better bike on paper.
Old 09-01-19, 06:59 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Sporkling....if your 18yr old Norco is still in decent shape have you considered getting it tuned up with new cables etc. While you're at it look for a pair of "urban tires" if you plan on mostly City riding. By adding/upgrading some components you could save $$ until you're in a better financial position to buy the one you really want.

Besides, a locked up used bike will not get as much attention as a new shiny one but between the 2 listed....the Diadora makes better cents (see what I did there)
Old 09-01-19, 07:16 AM
Sporkling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Speedway2, ,thank you so much for your input! I however gave my Norco with a totally destroyed drive train (?) away 3-4 months ago to a non-profit that employs marginalized people and takes reusable parts on bikes to make fairly nice new bikes altogether. I hear you though about the theft!!!! It is certainly rampant here. Well, I'm going to get the Diadora in a few days. Honestly, the only reason I'm waiting at all is that 380+ tax is still kicking my ass almost into space, lol.
Take care and thanks again,
-Sporky
Old 09-01-19, 08:16 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't write-off a used bike. I understand your hesitance regarding possible unforeseen problems but I think if you take some time I know you can find something that will surprise. There are millions of people that have purchased bikes, used them for 1 week and then put them in the garage. Find one you like, make sure the tires hold air, take if for a test ride. Test all the gears and brakes. Make sure you can adjust it to your size, take a small set of allen keys so you can move the seat and make other small adjustments during the testing process, and if it's something you like, get it. You can always take it to an LBS after you've purchased it and ask them to give it a tune-up which should be between USD45 and 75, and you'll probably be as good as gold.
Likes For TakingMyTime: