Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I need help buying a new bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-22-19, 10:36 AM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I want a new winter commuter. I am thinking of a steel-frame fixed gear bike.

I have never ridden a fixie before. I don't know what to look for or where to buy them. Any advice will be more than welcome.

Must-have features:
  • Fast geometry and drop bars
  • Easy maintenance (resistant to snow/salt)
  • Clearance for winter tires (I would feel happier with 35mm, but I guess 30mm can do)
  • Rear brake
  • Must look cool (my taste: all white or all black)
Other nice features:
  • Dynamo lights (are these compatible with fixies??).
  • Flip-flop hub in case I hate the fixed gear and want to switch to single-speed.
  • U-lock holster.
  • Rear fender (light and discrete).
  • Low price.
  • I could consider a track frame if it fits my winter tires and doesn't raise the price too much.
Background information:
  • Approx 10-20km/day with the occasional 30-40km day.
  • I ride on a mix of (1) quiet backroads and bike paths with lots of snow and ice and no winter maintenance; and (2) arterial roads with decent winter maintenance but heavy traffic (mostly friendly Canadian drivers, but the occasional ****).
  • Mostly flat city.
  • I like to ride fast and light. I stop at stop signs. I signal my turns. I take the lane sometimes.
  • It gets dark at 4:00 pm.
  • The bike will sleep at a garage. I also have a bike locker at my office.
  • I have very little time to maintain my bike. Best case scenario, I'll wash it once every two weeks.
Why I want a new winter bike:
  • I currently ride a Crossrip 3 during winter. I don't like it because it feels slow and cumbersome, it is difficult to clean (because of the disc brakes, gears, and tight wheel clearance), it is expensive to repair after every winter, and it looks expensive and I am afraid it might get stolen.
Old 11-22-19, 10:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,468 Times in 7,309 Posts
There is a fixed gear/single speed forum for that. Ask the mods to move this thread.
Old 11-22-19, 10:56 AM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
There is a fixed gear/single speed forum for that. Ask the mods to move this thread.
I posted it here because I also want advice on dynamo lights and winter tires. I figured the general forum could be more useful. But if the mods think that the fixie forum is better please move the thread.
Old 11-22-19, 05:42 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Salcedo, my thoughts are that a single speed with proper tires would work great for the winter on relatively level/flat roads.
IMO you may want to opt for a flat bar vs drops because you'll probably be wearing heavy gloves/mitts making it more challenging to operate the brake levers.
Old 11-23-19, 08:19 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
If I were to get a fixed gear (I am not), I would get a Cinelli .

Cinelli

Last edited by Gconan; 11-23-19 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-23-19, 01:19 PM
hefeweizen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kona-Paddy-...sAAOSw8G1di5oY
Old 11-23-19, 02:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
You can put a dynamo on just about anything. My Single Speed/Fixed Gear RandoCross FunTime Machine is well set up for what you are looking for. It is based on a Cinelli Mash Work frame from a few years ago. It has a Shutter Precision hub at the front powering a Supernova E3 pro and corresponding rear light as well as a Nitto front rack carrying my Swift Industries Ozette bag on a Thomson Decaleur (a Thomson DH stem and some rack and pannier parts) and it is running 700x36 tires which are plumpy at 37.something. I am currently running it as a single speed with a White Industries freewheel and Sugino Messenger chainring and D.I.D. Track Racing Pro chain.

I ride the bike frequently in bad weather and have no issues it is fairly easy to clean and so long as you don't abuse it the raw finish has stayed rust free. If you are interested in building up something like that I highly recommend it and would be happy to help you get a build sheet going so you can go down to your local shop and get it built up. Keep in mind though you may need to severely up the budget for a good dynamo set up and something with good tire clearance which most fixed gears don't have. There are certainly places I splurged where you could save but it is a fantastic bike that I love and want to build something similar with discs but don't want to give this pup-a-loo up.
Old 11-23-19, 08:47 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by salcedo
I want a new winter commuter. I am thinking of a steel-frame fixed gear bike.

I have never ridden a fixie before. I don't know what to look for or where to buy them. Any advice will be more than welcome.

Must-have features:
  • Easy maintenance (resistant to snow/salt)
Steel is contrary here; aluminum would be better.
  • Rear brake
I've seen it recommended that if you're only going to have one brake on a bike, it should be on the front.

Other nice features:
  • U-lock holster.
https://www.amazon.com/TwoFish-1-Loc...4561230&sr=8-1

• Rear fender (light and discrete).
Why only the rear? I can't imagine getting sprayed with slush from your front wheel being a pleasant experience, and fenders usually come in sets.
Background information:

• Mostly flat city.
  • I like to ride fast and light. I stop at stop signs. I signal my turns. I take the lane sometimes.
Do you use your gears on the CrossRip? If so, you might really miss them, especially in city traffic.

• I have very little time to maintain my bike. Best case scenario, I'll wash it once every two weeks.
A further argument for aluminum over steel.

If you don't mind rethinking the gearing, here's a possibility:

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/pro...iorityclassic2

It's light, engineered to be low-maintenance, and doesn't cost much. Not sure you'd like the coaster brake, but (I'm guessing here) it is a little like braking a fixie. Swap out the bar and saddle.

Just something to think about.
Old 11-24-19, 01:49 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
I would buy something very cheap, aluminum, and simple ... no sense buying some exotic steel frame only to watch road salt eat it up in a few seasons. I would get a cheap BikesDirect bike or anything the right size off of EBay or Craigslist .... after all, you essentially want a beater bike which will get really beaten.

Good news is that bikes are sufficiently developed that even a cheap beater can offer a great ride.

I would get a $200 fixie somewhere, and buy the components i really needed ... or buy an even cheaper donor bike.