Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Ok, which hybrid bike should I buy for $1000?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 07-16-19, 01:00 PM
WarrenC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Hi everyone

since I know nothing about bikes, which hybrid bike should I be looking at which offers efficiency, comfort and best bang for the buck. I have a budget of $1000

thank you

Warren
Old 07-16-19, 02:27 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Will this be your first bike or have you been riding awhile? If it's your first, it is difficult to get the right bike without riding experience and I'd suggest lowering your budget and saving the rest for a 2nd bike when you know what you want.

To answer your question more directly, I'd look for a hybrid with no suspension that can fit at least 40mm width tires. I prefer steel so of my choices would be a Marin Muirwoods or Jamis Sequel. However, other notable options are the Trek FX, Specialized Sirrus, Giant Escape / Fastroad and Jamis Coda. These bikes have different component levels at different prices.
Old 07-16-19, 03:04 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
Will this be your first bike or have you been riding awhile? If it's your first, it is difficult to get the right bike without riding experience and I'd suggest lowering your budget and saving the rest for a 2nd bike when you know what you want.
This is great advice.

Take it.

As for the original question, don't spend $1000 on a hybrid. Any hybrid.

The difference between a $500 hybrid and a $1000 hybrid are the component quality, mostly the drive train. You might get slightly nicer wheels on a $1000 hybrid, but I doubt most people would notice.

The thing is...when the drive train on the $500 bike wears out, you can get an all new drive train for like $150. I just did this. It's not an expensive upgrade. Since it's a hybrid you aren't likely to upgrade it to a really high end drive train that would cost more. You're likely to replace it with a 'bottom line name brand but better than the generic stock' drive train that came on the bike.

A hyrbid is a great bike choice for many kinds of riding, especially if you are doing multiple kinds of riding and only want one bike. I'm not trashing the whole hybrid genre. I have one. I ride it every day. I love it. I spent $650 on it. But I wouldn't have spent $1 more. I've had to do repairs, mostly from generic components that just wore out fast. But each repair is relatively cheap. (Not to mention your credit card may have a built in extended warranty that pays for some of those repair) And I'm still well under $1000 total spend after 3+ years.

There is nothing about the more expensive models of the same bike that I wish I had.

Last edited by Skipjacks; 07-17-19 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-16-19, 03:22 PM
WarrenC

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
This would be my 2nd bike. I have a Trek DS 8.4 for over 6 years that I just cant get comfortable. As near as I can tell the reach is too far for my arms. This is after adjusting and twiddling everything I can think of, including changing numerous components. All I'm looking for is a do everything bike that is comfortable and looks cool and allows me to ride up to 50km a time. I am open to all suggestions.
Old 07-16-19, 03:24 PM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

To answer your question more directly, I'd look for a hybrid with no suspension that can fit at least 40mm width tires. I prefer steel so of my choices would be a Marin Muirwoods or Jamis Sequel. However, other notable options are the Trek FX, Specialized Sirrus, Giant Escape / Fastroad and Jamis Coda. These bikes have different component levels at different prices.
Why no suspension?
Old 07-16-19, 03:30 PM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by WarrenC
This would be my 2nd bike. I have a Trek DS 8.4 for over 6 years that I just cant get comfortable. As near as I can tell the reach is too far for my arms. This is after adjusting and twiddling everything I can think of, including changing numerous components. All I'm looking for is a do everything bike that is comfortable and looks cool and allows me to ride up to 50km a time. I am open to all suggestions.
Trek Dual Sport 8 ? Probably you need more upright gooseneck : The Trek FX is slightly more upright then the DS and the verve can be adjusted to bring the handle bars closer :I have a Dual 2 and like it : But I am 6' tall with 34 inch long arms : Sounds like you need more of an upright ride
Old 07-16-19, 03:35 PM
WarrenC

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I definitely need a more upright ride. Hands go numb and neck shoulder stiffness go with all my bike rides.
Old 07-16-19, 03:37 PM
katsup

Originally Posted by Rick53
Why no suspension?
At the mentioned price point, it is heavy, feels like a pogo stick and needs additional maintenance / repair. Even after 3 years I have had to take part, clean and grease a Suntour XCT fork as it was seized. Most people would not know how to do this and would either ride around as is or pay a shop to do it. Higher end forks are nice and feel great, especially on single track, but also need maintenance.

The wide tires (40mm+) will help smooth out the bumps and light trails without the above cons which is why I stick with rigid bikes (aside from single track).
Old 07-16-19, 03:45 PM
katsup

Originally Posted by WarrenC
I definitely need a more upright ride. Hands go numb and neck shoulder stiffness go with all my bike rides.
Ask the shop if you can take the bike you are interested in on a 30mi (50km) ride. You may have to hand them your driver's license, but the shops by me would allow this.
Old 07-16-19, 03:46 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I ride a Cannondale Quick 3 and that was a decision between a Giant Escape 2. The Giant felt too cramped to my taste so I got the Cannondale. I would suggest a test ride on the Giant and see what you think. That or the Escape 1 depending on your finances.
Frank.
Old 07-16-19, 05:16 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
See if you can get a Sirrus elite negotiated down to $1k, or grab a Sirrus Sport. Great bikes.
Old 07-16-19, 06:42 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
A Giant Toughroad would be comfortable due to larger 50mm tires and CF fork.

As for the comment that hybrids are not worth upgrading.... well, technically no bike is if you look at it economically. My toughroad ended up with new DT Swiss wheels with wider rims, new tires, Brooks saddle, jones bar, XT 1x11 drivetrain, jones bar, custom frame bag..... I realize it all may not be economical, but it rides perfectly, is fun and is my road, gravel and hybrid bike.... all 3 in one single bike.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 07-16-19, 07:23 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
At the mentioned price point, it is heavy, feels like a pogo stick and needs additional maintenance / repair. Even after 3 years I have had to take part, clean and grease a Suntour XCT fork as it was seized. Most people would not know how to do this and would either ride around as is or pay a shop to do it. Higher end forks are nice and feel great, especially on single track, but also need maintenance.

The wide tires (40mm+) will help smooth out the bumps and light trails without the above cons which is why I stick with rigid bikes (aside from single track).
At mentioned $1000 price the OP stated, you can get a hybrid with an air shock that is not a pogo stick. The larger tires also help, but having both a good suspension and larger tires makes for a great ride on trails.

Examples:

Canyon Pathlite SL 7 - Only 26 pounds with the suspension

Canyon Pathlite 6 - 27.7 lbs

Giant Roam 1 Disc

Or, can always buy a nice hybrid that fits the rider really well and just buy a replacement suspension like I did:

Rockshox Paragon Gold
Old 07-16-19, 08:17 PM
katsup

Originally Posted by travbikeman
At mentioned $1000 price the OP stated, you can get a hybrid with an air shock that is not a pogo stick. The larger tires also help, but having both a good suspension and larger tires makes for a great ride on trails.

Examples:

Canyon Pathlite SL 7 - Only 26 pounds with the suspension

Canyon Pathlite 6 - 27.7 lbs

Giant Roam 1 Disc

Or, can always buy a nice hybrid that fits the rider really well and just buy a replacement suspension like I did:

Rockshox Paragon Gold
The comparable Canyon with Carbon fork weighs 22lbs. It has 30mm tires vs 40mm on the Pathlite, but that doesn't make up the 4lb difference.

Canyon Roadlite 7.0
Old 07-16-19, 09:49 PM
HerrKaLeun

Holy cow, those Canyons all are great values if you like that type.

I'm not convinced a hybrid (and a bike with 40mm tires is not really off roadish) needs suspension. But if you are a suspension guy, this is a steal.

I have 2.15" tires and 30mm rim on my Toughroad in front and that is the greatest ride ever over gravel trails and our horrible roads. But to each their own.
Old 07-17-19, 06:27 AM
travbikeman

The comparable Canyon with Carbon fork weighs 22lbs. It has 30mm tires vs 40mm on the Pathlite, but that doesn't make up the 4lb difference.

Canyon Roadlite 7.0
That is a really nice bike for what I believe to be a great deal. But it's the whole package that makes it lighter. Not just the fork, but the lighter groupset, wheels, tires and such.
Old 07-17-19, 06:29 AM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun

I'm not convinced a hybrid (and a bike with 40mm tires is not really off roadish) needs suspension. But if you are a suspension guy, this is a steal.

I have 2.15" tires and 30mm rim on my Toughroad in front and that is the greatest ride ever over gravel trails and our horrible roads. But to each their own.
Those Toughroads are fun bikes to ride. I tested one a few years ago and have kind of regretted not getting it.
Old 07-17-19, 08:46 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun

Suspension depends on where you are riding.

On well maintained roads, suspension is a waste of space and should be locked out most of the time.

On crappy roads with lots of bumps and disjointed concrete/pavement even cheap spring suspension can do a lot towards making the ride more comfortable and less jarring on your hands.
Old 07-17-19, 10:57 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
If you're going 650b, then there's the...

Kona Dew Deluxe
Jamis Sequel
Masi Caffe Corsa

The Masi Strada Vita Uno is less than $1K but has fenders and a chainguard.
Likes For hybridbkrdr:
Old 07-17-19, 01:40 PM
katsup

That is a really nice bike for what I believe to be a great deal. But it's the whole package that makes it lighter. Not just the fork, but the lighter groupset, wheels, tires and such.
The groupsets are similar weight

Roadlite
105 (R7000)
105 R7000 weighed in at 2,180g without cables (Rim Brake Version)
Source
Pathlite 7
Mix of SLX (M7000) and XT (M8000)
SLX Weights:
Crankset 718g (32T)
Shifter 120g (with i-spec II)
Cassette 476g
Rear mech 323g
Total w/o chain: 1,637g
Source
+ 120g (front shifter), 152.1g (front deraileur) + brakes and additional chainring and they are within 100-200g of each other (didn't look up each part separately)

Wheels are likely similar weight, and the tires are 10mm bigger on the pathlite, but that is not enough to fill the 4 pound gap between the suspension vs non suspension version. The suspension probably adds around 2lbs of weight which is minimal, but it not worth it when you consider the additional cons mentioned above.

This is just my opinion after thinking I needed suspension when I started (first 2 hybrids had suspension).

Last edited by katsup; 07-17-19 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 02:21 PM
travbikeman

Your enthusiasm for this cool hobby is great. Love how you have done so much research on proving that one hybrid bike that is a few pounds less than another is a better bike.

But it's not, cause it's a matter of opinion and preference of who buys the bike. I find it hilarious that some are so tuned into lower weight is a better bike, but it doesn't really matter when you are not racing. All hybrids are great every day riding bikes, that we can tune to our needs and preferences.

The OP needs to go ride many bikes and figure out what they like. It doesn't matter what any of us like. If the OP chooses suspension or non suspension, as long as the bike is comfortable and provides enjoyment, then great.

Your basing your opinion on suspensions off of a extremely cheap mountain bike suspension you used to have. Suntour XCT, The suspensions I listed above are much higher quality than that "Pogo stick."

As for now, I'm going to continue laughing at the argument that lighter is better in the hybrid category cause it doesn't have suspension.

Last edited by travbikeman; 07-17-19 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 02:28 PM
katsup

As for now, I'm going to continue laughing at the argument that lighter is better in the hybrid category cause it doesn't have suspension.
I think you missed where I said all the cons regarding suspension in hybrids, weight is just one factor that you brought up in post 13. You obviously enjoy suspension hybrid, and we all have our own tastes, so I will stop replying.
Old 07-17-19, 04:10 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Suspension depends on where you are riding.

On well maintained roads, suspension is a waste of space and should be locked out most of the time.

On crappy roads with lots of bumps and disjointed concrete/pavement even cheap spring suspension can do a lot towards making the ride more comfortable and less jarring on your hands.
True. But to be consistent with comfort and dealing with bad roads they should have used 50mm tires and wider rims in addition to the suspension fork. But that would have increased the marketing weight.....

Regarding weight.... true, there are diminishing returns once you have decent components, good AL frame and CF fork. But you don't want a heavy pug either.... even if it just for lifting around. If you are a light rider, you notice a few pounds.
Old 12-16-19, 12:58 PM
mdcoram

Bikes: Merlin Ti, Felt FR3, Trek Fuel EX7, Jamis Sequel

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts

The Jamis Sequel has a surprisingly supple ride. Very comfortable!
Old 12-16-19, 06:22 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 243 Posts
katsup mentioned a Marin Muirwoods,,,,I owned one since 1996. The steel/chromoly frame made it one of my most enjoyable bikes. When I thought it was time to replace it I looked at a Jamis Coda Elite (also a steelie). I ended up riding the Marin for a few months more until my son needed a bike so I gave it to him. He could not believe a 24yr old bike could ride so smooth.
A Norco Indie replaced the Marin. It's a very nice bike but the Aluminum frame can't compare with the buttery ride of steel imo.

Op....take a serious look at the Jamis Coda line.

I also agree that a front suspension is not necessary for riding in the Urban Jungle 90% of the time......use your arms/legs the other 10%.
Likes For Speedway2:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.