Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

SPD vs. SPD-SL/Look pedals?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

SPD vs. SPD-SL/Look pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-20, 02:58 PM
Crambie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FloridaDave
I've ridden with Look, Crank Brothers Egg Beaters, and SPDs, and I'm probably more concerned with unclipping than clipping in. Just today I took a tumble because I couldn't unclip in time. I was standing still on a patch of grass by the roadside, straddling my bike. I had one foot clipped in, and went to lift my bike up and pivot it around. Lost my balance and tipped over. I'm rethinking my practice of standing still at a traffic light with one foot clipped in. Maybe better to keep one foot on the ground and one loosely on the pedal (unclipped), and begin clipping in once I start moving???
I remember doing that the first time I used spd's but it was my fault as one cleat wasn't quite done up tight enough and it twisted as I tried to unclip. It didn't hurt me at all but I felt like a fool. Generally there shouldn't be a problem keeping one foot clipped in, pretty much everyone does that. But if you're turning your bike around then it can be safer to completely unclip as you have unfortunately found out. Everyone has a mishap once in a while.

Last edited by Crambie; 01-22-20 at 04:38 AM.
Likes For Crambie:
Old 01-21-20, 07:19 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
For years, I've used mountain bike shoes on my SPD pedalled bikes...including the Road bikes. The dedicated Roadies look at me strange but they make walking so much easier.
I've recently switched over to Shimano RT82 Touring shoes. They look more like Road shoes but the sole is recessed so the cleats don't hit when you're walking.
https://www.wiggle.com/shimano-rt82-...g-cycle-shoes/
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 01-21-20, 07:33 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Crambie
I remember doing that the first time I used spd's but it was my fault as one cleat wasn't quite done up hard enough and it twisted as I tried to unclip. It didn't hurt me at all but I felt like a fool. Generally there shouldn't be a problem keeping one foot clipped in, pretty much everyone does that. But if you're turning your bike around then it can be safer to completely unclip as you have unfortunately found out. Everyone has a mishap once in a while.
I was watching the Tour de France last year and saw on one of the stages that a prominent rider had had a small mishap and had wrecked. No injuries, so he got himself up, dusted off, and started riding. But for the life of him he could not clip his second foot in. His anger over the accident and now the inability to clip in had him steaming mad. I felt bad for the guy, but also felt a sense of brotherhood -- hey, I do that too!
Old 02-12-20, 08:55 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Final update -- while I've been an SPD "user" for some time, I did do some upgrading -- very light Ultegra SPD pedals and good, stiff, Giro road-style SPD-only shoes. So far the cutover has been smooth. At their lightest setting the pedals are maybe just a slight bit harder to unclip, but I've adapted. Only annoyance is just like Look/SPD-SL pedals, which are heavier in the back and want to pivot to a vertical position when your feet aren't clipped in, my new SPDs do the same thing. But pedals and shoes are much lighter, which will convey into my being much faster!! (yeah, right...)
Likes For davethelefty: