Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo Loading LIV

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-19, 07:35 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Carbo Loading LIV

October already? There’s been a chill in the air the last few morning here in SoCal. Post your random thoughts here!
Old 10-01-19, 07:46 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Am I the only one who sees LIV and thinks of the lineup of bikes by Giant?

I'll take riding for 200 miles, Alex.
Old 10-01-19, 09:08 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
It was in the high 50s yesterday afternoon... we have a cold snap that came in, and this weather has brought snow to our mountains here in eastern Oregon.

It is almost time to break out the trainer.
Old 10-01-19, 11:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
92 in Philly tomorrow. 60s by the weekend.
Old 10-01-19, 12:06 PM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by Podagrower
Am I the only one who sees LIV and thinks of the lineup of bikes by Giant?

I'll take riding for 200 miles, Alex.
No, you're not. I thought of that too when I started the thread, especially since my wife's bike is a Liv!

So - calling all Giant/Liv riders - this is your month to post in Carbo Loading!
Old 10-01-19, 03:48 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
October already? There’s been a chill in the air the last few morning here in SoCal. Post your random thoughts here!
Chill in the air indeed. A couple weeks ago an outlier cold morning was my first of the season in more than just a T-shirt.

This morning was the first with gloves.

Really enjoying the cool evenings.
Old 10-01-19, 04:27 PM
jimincalif

Yeah, I wore a vest and sleeves for the first part of my ride this morning. Probably been 4-5 months.
Old 10-03-19, 06:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
It actually hit 95 yesterday. Really motivated the spotted lanternflies that have infested places. I stomped on a few when I went out for lunch. When I left work at the end of the day I saw at least a half dozen creeping around.

High today is supposed to be mid-60s. And we are finally getting some much needed rain, although not a lot.
Old 10-03-19, 10:09 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Thank goodness for cooler weather. I can finally sleep comfortably.

I put my commuter bike on trainer in August to do Zwift Academy but a few big outside rides and heat meant I did one week of ZA then didn't pick it back up until September...but I still finished. Now my house is so much more comfortable to rider trainer. I even closed the windows because it was a tad too cool Last night I only used ONE of my fans. Of course the workout I was doing was not all that taxing and so one fan was sufficient to keep me from overheating. I started the FTP builder 6 week plan on Zwift. See how that goes. Prior to Zwift Academy I had never done workouts. I am kicking myself for not using them previously. I was just riding around. No more of that.

I did commute to work on Monday this week for first time since August 30. I wore windvest and wished I had put arm warmers on. I struggle with waking up in the fall for some reason and so riding to work is likely over but since I am on trainer regularly I don't feel guilty. I just hate the soaring gas prices but not enough I guess to get out of my finally comfortable bed...where I am sleeping w/o sweating.
Old 10-03-19, 10:35 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
Now my house is so much more comfortable to rider trainer.
ha I set mine up in the backyard the other night and last night in the garage w/ the door rolled up, low/mid 60's feels awesome compared to last week mid 80's when I get home from work. One large fan is used always. but can do it at fan speeds this week.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 10-03-19, 10:58 AM
jimincalif

Tuesday morning I wore a light vest and lightweight arm covers for a morning ride, that was enough. Late afternoon hill repeats yesterday, no layers needed. Was starting to get a bit cool as I rode home shortly after sunset, but still comfortable. Weather is just too good in SoCal for indoor riding! @Beachgrad05, good on you doing some training, structure definitely helps.

Sort of looking out for a bike to keep in Boise for when we are there. Need a road/gravel bike that will accept wider tires (at least 32mm), tubeless (lotsa goatheads), and something I can use on a trainer (ugh, but it's COLD there in winter).
Old 10-03-19, 11:56 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Originally Posted by jimincalif
Weather is just too good in SoCal for indoor riding! @Beachgrad05, good on you doing some training, structure definitely helps.
Not disagreeing. Weather is perfect. My issue is riding to work is just a struggle during week. Fall kills me with regard to mornings. Not sure why but I always feel I need to sleep longer. It was lovely on Monday when I rode tho other than headwind the whole way home.

Getting riding in somehow during week is why I'm using Zwift/trainer.

I have a ton of stuff happening this month with AIDS/Lifecycle....rehearsal for Drag Me to AIDS/Lifecycle with my team for our performance...then the actual event on Sat 10/19. ALC kickoff ride on 10/12 in Van Nuys. And it's FOOTBALL season which always derails me from riding because I love football. Now I can ride trainer and watch football. No more couch potato during football for me. And I am flying to Washington state on 10/26 to see my family. Crossing fingers that I won't have to deal with snow. They have already gotten snow in the mountain passes. My last visit in February they had snowmageddon.
Old 10-03-19, 12:09 PM
dagray

Not disagreeing. Weather is perfect. My issue is riding to work is just a struggle during week. Fall kills me with regard to mornings. Not sure why but I always feel I need to sleep longer. It was lovely on Monday when I rode tho other than headwind the whole way home.

Getting riding in somehow during week is why I'm using Zwift/trainer.

I have a ton of stuff happening this month with AIDS/Lifecycle....rehearsal for Drag Me to AIDS/Lifecycle with my team for our performance...then the actual event on Sat 10/19. ALC kickoff ride on 10/12 in Van Nuys. And it's FOOTBALL season which always derails me from riding because I love football. Now I can ride trainer and watch football. No more couch potato during football for me. And I am flying to Washington state on 10/26 to see my family. Crossing fingers that I won't have to deal with snow. They have already gotten snow in the mountain passes. My last visit in February they had snowmageddon.
You might try the BKool app to control your trainer too... with BKool I can import my rides from Strava and ride the routes again that I physically rode outside. I can even race myself or others with BKool

I use both BKool and Zwift.
Old 10-03-19, 02:02 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by dagray
You might try the BKool app to control your trainer too... with BKool I can import my rides from Strava and ride the routes again that I physically rode outside. I can even race myself or others with BKool

I use both BKool and Zwift.
I have not used BKool. I created workouts out of each day's AIDS rides into zwo files but can't get them onto ATV. Grrrr. I may have to break down and upgrade my computer at some point or get new ipad. I could get onto my phone I guess...and ride the workout in Zwift....
Old 10-03-19, 02:45 PM
dagray

I have not used BKool. I created workouts out of each day's AIDS rides into zwo files but can't get them onto ATV. Grrrr. I may have to break down and upgrade my computer at some point or get new ipad. I could get onto my phone I guess...and ride the workout in Zwift....
BKool with the premium account (about $120.00 per year) allows you to import your rides from Strava and Garmin Connect so you can ride them indoors and even race yourself. You can also set up bots (different bots excel at different bike skills such as climbing, sprinting, etc) to race or even draft from. BKool really simulates drafting well.

BKool has velodrome racing, and some routes of segments of the big world tours pre-programmed as well as the ability to find routes in almost every part of the world and at varying degrees of difficulty. Also BKool has a 20 minute FTP test where you are on a fixed incline (this test has smoked me a few times).

You can have up to 125 people on the same course at the same time and if you are within 50 feet of each other on the course you can have real time voice communications amongst the riders.

Zwift has better graphics and a more social aspect, but I admit I haven't tried their workouts. If you ride a route in Zwift and import it to BKool you would be able to race yourself
Old 10-03-19, 03:04 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Probably not going to sign up for that. Don't need another subscription to an app that controls my trainer. I get why folks might like it tho.
Old 10-03-19, 03:55 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

BKool with the premium account (about $120.00 per year) allows you to import your rides from Strava and Garmin Connect so you can ride them indoors and even race yourself.
I think the Wahoo app that came with the Kickr allows you to use those GPX/Strava/Mapmyride files and control the resistance per elevation profile. I've yet to try that feature out though as I jumped straight in Zwift free mode for couple of weeks.
Old 10-03-19, 06:06 PM
dagray

Unfortunately I am too fat for the Wahoo trainers. So I upgraded my BKool Pro (wheel on trainer) to a Tac-X "Genius" as the Tac-X has more resistance capability and is smoother.
Old 10-04-19, 11:08 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

wait there is a weight limit to trainers? I just read their snap wheel on trainer is same as wheel off trainer. and is there for limits of the frame?!

dang lawyers
Old 10-04-19, 12:37 PM
dagray

Danged lawyers indeed.

I bought the Tax-X smart trainer as I had been on a Tac-X trainer when I did my bike fit and knew it would hold up. Before that I bought my BKool Pro trainer as it didn't have a lawyer limit and it had a lifetime guarantee. I bought my bike (Orbea Orca) as it was a super stiff frame and again no lawyer limits.

Once the bike shop and I got on the same page that I am not the typical size of the common cyclist, and they started only selling me Clydesdale appropriate items we were able to make my riding more enjoyable (I wasn't having to have my rear wheel rebuild after every 50 miles, and we changed a stem to make me sit more upright so I could breathe while riding) then we started forming a friendship.... in fact they are helping me sell my Burley Encore trailer that I don't use anymore.
Old 10-04-19, 12:56 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

gotta love good bike shop!!

After a very weak July and Aug ride numbers i had to make the change and got the trainer with their 12mo finance offer. I've been using it as intended, days I can't get out, I hammer out 30-60mins after dinner while watching my kids run around. I have a 53mile MTB race at the end of the month and feel a bit more confident I'll be ready in time.

O&B course, should be 4hr ish of moving time
https://www.strava.com/activities/2731830207
Old 10-04-19, 01:01 PM
dagray

Originally Posted by jsigone
gotta love good bike shop!!

After a very weak July and Aug ride numbers i had to make the change and got the trainer with their 12mo finance offer. I've been using it as intended, days I can't get out, I hammer out 30-60mins after dinner while watching my kids run around. I have a 53mile MTB race at the end of the month and feel a bit more confident I'll be ready in time.

O&B course, should be 4hr ish of moving time
https://www.strava.com/activities/2731830207
Good for you

I am trying to get a 12 mile group ride set up in our community as I think it would be a great way to help educate our kids about bike safety, and a great way to get us adults into a less sedentary lifestyle. I also am looking at a new bike (actually saving up for it) a Bianchi CV Infinito Disk in 61cm.
Old 10-04-19, 01:15 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I am trying to get a 12 mile group ride set up in our community as I think it would be a great way to help educate our kids about bike safety
You should organize a bike train, a published route that kids join as it passes closest to their house, and a big group chaperoned by an adult or two arrives all at school together
Old 10-04-19, 01:20 PM
dagray

Originally Posted by RubeRad
You should organize a bike train, a published route that kids join as it passes closest to their house, and a big group chaperoned by an adult or two arrives all at school together
What a great idea. This could be done with the end point being the local mom and pop burger joint that has ice cream. We only have 3300 people in our town according to the city limit sign, next town over is 30,000 people (that is where the bike shop is).
Old 10-04-19, 01:25 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

What a great idea. This could be done with the end point being the local mom and pop burger joint that has ice cream. We only have 3300 people in our town according to the city limit sign, next town over is 30,000 people (that is where the bike shop is).
I read about the concept I think in an old Bicycling magazine about getting kids engaged with cycling.

For the 'benefit' of people that live too close to the destination, you could start kind of near there, and take the long way, riding kind of a loop to be able to pick up more people

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.