Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clunker challenge with a twist of L'Eroica Cali... anyone up for the challenge?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-15, 12:33 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts

A fellow cyclist, who knows I frequent the C&V forum, and likes to check in with me about what I'm doing with and on my old bikes, threw this challenge my way. He proposed that I fly to California a few days before the L'Eroica, find a clunker vintage road bike, and for under 150 smackers, get in running and ride in the L'Eroica. A totally dig on the idea, but I think that the challenge is too big for me, on many levels (financial, time, work schedule, newbie wrenching skills, etc). It would make a hell of a video journal event as well. So, I'm whimping out, but thought I would share it. Anyone intrigued?
Old 01-10-15, 12:36 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
Having to find the bike after you arrive would be quite a challenge! Then, you wouldn't know what tools or parts to bring to get it in riding shape. Is that really the rule?
Old 01-10-15, 01:04 PM
uncle uncle

That's how he initially proposed the concept to me.... but, you could take the kernel of the idea and pedal with it. Part of the conversation was centered around the potential hassles of getting a bike out there while flying as the mode of transportation.
Old 01-10-15, 01:28 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Well if you took your basic tune up tools and found a coop where you could use some heavy tools for HS and BB work that would make things simpler.

Also one mans clunker is another mans race ready bike

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-10-15, 02:02 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I love the idea. Don't know if it's truly workable, though.
Old 01-10-15, 06:03 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I see. The challenge is to spend $$$$ flying to California and paying all the travel costs to attend a epic cycling event. ...and then waste time searching for a bike that needs to meet event requirements, be reliable enough to cover several hours of hilly riding on isolated roads, most of them gravel, and limit yourself to a $150 bike budget.

Really!
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-10-15, 06:38 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I see. The challenge is to spend $$$$ flying to California and paying all the travel costs to attend a epic cycling event. ...and then waste time searching for a bike that needs to meet event requirements, be reliable enough to cover several hours of hilly riding on isolated roads, most of them gravel, and limit yourself to a $150 bike budget.

Really!
Well, you make it sound difficult. But the thing of it is, he only has to find a bike that meets the rules. A PX10 would be nice, but a UO8 will do just as well. He may hope for a Raleigh Professional, but a Record will meet the entry requirements just fine. I'm not saying this is how I would do it... but the scheme has a certain anarchic elegance to it, which I appreciate.
Old 01-10-15, 06:44 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I saw "Clunker", I thought you were going to do a Repack style ride on a period correct bike.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 01-10-15, 07:16 PM
uncle uncle

Really!
When you put it that way, you make sound even more heroic!
Old 01-11-15, 01:48 AM
Wulf

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
You would likely have to Pirate/Crash the ride since it will be sold out well before you get there.
Old 01-11-15, 06:00 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by rhm
Well, you make it sound difficult. But the thing of it is, he only has to find a bike that meets the rules. A PX10 would be nice, but a UO8 will do just as well. He may hope for a Raleigh Professional, but a Record will meet the entry requirements just fine. I'm not saying this is how I would do it... but the scheme has a certain anarchic elegance to it, which I appreciate.
Only in the virtual world does this pass as elegant. In the real world, not so much.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-11-15, 06:24 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
A basic toolkit would be simple enough. Cone wrenches, couple of cluster tools, spoke wrenches, large crescent, a few BB tools, etc. Good pair of pliers. Perhaps bring a few extra bearings, grease, and etc which you could get in Cali, but it may be easier to bring.

I have no doubt you could find a good used Huffy or Schwinn Varsity class bike on short order, tune it up, and head off for a ride. Perhaps an ancient 3-spd. You probably wouldn't end up with anything too special.

It could always be given away or donated to goodwill when you're done. Maybe convince the previous owner to "loan" the bike to you with a promise of a tune-up.

The biggest thing would be to not over-spend on things like tires, tubes, and accessories like water bottle cages. And, until you have the bike, you won't know if it will be 26" (one of em), 27", or 700c.
Old 01-11-15, 07:23 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Only in the virtual world does this pass as elegant. In the real world, not so much.
Yeah, that is probably true. If part of the fun of this event is admiring neato old bikes, you'd miss all that. And if the bike proved to be a real beater, riding it might also not be much fun.
Old 01-11-15, 09:06 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by rhm
Yeah, that is probably true. If part of the fun of this event is admiring neato old bikes, you'd miss all that. And if the bike proved to be a real beater, riding it might also not be much fun.
...and that's my point. It's not about the prestige that the bike merits, it's about enjoying a comfortable and reliable bike that already fits well and can complete the event with nothing more than a flat tire or dropped chain to worry about. It's very unlikely that anyone could land at LAX, find a reliable bike that instantly fits perfectly. To try accomplish this without wasting expensive travel time searching for a bike that cost under $150 is ridiculous. A $700 budget might provide good results, but I won't waste quality time searching Craigslist while on a short vacation. I'd rather be riding.

Last year I vacationed in Italy and had 10 days to spend cycling. I purchased a bike in Italy, but it was a new bike and I was able to visit the bike shop as needed for adjustments. Finding that just right vintage bike for a few hundred dollars would have been a complete waste of time.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-11-15 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-11-15, 11:07 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

I know a lot of riders are very particular about getting a bike dialed in, but I've never been that way. I can pretty much hop on any bike, assuming I can get the seat to the right height, and ride all day on it. So I really don't think I'd have a problem with whatever Fuji, Peugeot or Raleigh I found on CL. Nonetheless I take the point that that would be missing a big part of the fun, namely showing off something I'm actually proud of.
Old 01-11-15, 08:48 PM
lotekmod

Bikes: '73 Flandria 3 speed, '84 Lotus Legend Compe, '87 Merckx Corsa Extra, '94 Kona Kilauea

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I know a lot of riders are very particular about getting a bike dialed in, but I've never been that way. I can pretty much hop on any bike, assuming I can get the seat to the right height, and ride all day on it. So I really don't think I'd have a problem with whatever Fuji, Peugeot or Raleigh I found on CL.
I'm the same way, maybe because I ride so many different types of bikes on a regular basis- 26in mountain, 29in mountain, 3 speeds, vintage road, touring, 'cross, etc- if I can get the seat height and handlebar reach in the ballpark I can ride pretty much anything for several hours at least.
Old 01-11-15, 09:10 PM
CliffordK

I have bought two bikes in Italy.

The first one is the Colnago that I'm still riding.

I pretty much planned ahead nearly a year in advance to do it. When I was about 15, my old Viscount was stolen. By that time, my Father was already planning a 3 month sabbatical to Italy. So, I got a junker to get me through the year. When got to Italy, I was introduced to a janitor at the university where my father was visiting named Renzo who was a bicycle aficionado.

He brought me a couple of bikes to look at... I don't remember what was wrong with them. I hate to think they may have been too modern for my tastes. Anyway, then he brought a used Colnago Super which was just perfect.

I then had about 3 months where I rode it to just about every castle within about a 30 mile radius of Parma.

I brought that bike home. I went back a few years later... no new Colnago, but I did find an older bike, a bit on the small size for me. Renzo wasn't too happy with me for my purchase But, the bike served me well for that trip (over a year). It is back here in pieces... somewhere... Perhaps it is time to get all the pieces together and restore/rebuild it.

Anyway, doing it for a weekend trip would be tight, but I have no doubt it would be doable, especially in a big city like SF or LA, and a little planning ahead.

I wouldn't be surprised if there would be people selling their bikes at a big event. Swap meets?
Old 01-11-15, 10:07 PM
Rcrxjlb

Bikes: Unknown Kalin MTB, 2013 Denali, 1977 Raleigh from Malaysia, 1982 Univega Nuovo Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Well, just read the rules & they say it must have downtube shifters.
I guess my old stem mounted bike would be disqualified...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0825.jpg (93.6 KB, 101 views)
Old 01-11-15, 10:35 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Just work out an arrangement with someone here who has a spare bike that meets your needs.

You could also buy a bike on Craig's List and pick it up when you arrive. Take it to a co-op for check out/repair when you get here and get it.
Old 01-11-15, 10:58 PM
orcas island 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 109 Posts
Perhaps someone would be willing to loan you a bike for the ride? Unless finding a cheapie to ride on short notice was a necessary part of the challenge...
Old 01-11-15, 11:06 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Rcrxjlb
Well, just read the rules & they say it must have downtube shifters.
I guess my old stem mounted bike would be disqualified...
Oh... I didn't think about that. Does that also disqualify all 3-speeds?

It wouldn't hurt to have a few "spares" to take with one including DT shifters, non aero brakes, and etc. Just in case.
Old 01-12-15, 12:16 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Hmmm..... for something as significant and getting the full satisfaction of this event, I would agree with Barrettscv. Even without any bike there's an expense and wouldn't want to risk a short notice not finding anything suitable. But, if its ones challenge to go last ditch clunker, good luck!

However, he could immediately start hunting for the clunker and find a facilitator now. Fly out with your adjustable slip joint pliers, hammer and duct tape wrapped in a moth eaten wool jersey.

BTW: Change of thought, go fly First Class and pick up this gem in Los Gatos >>>>
super neat
1911 Austrian Steyr Waffenrad bicycle
Old 01-12-15, 12:44 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by crank_addict
BTW: Change of thought, go fly First Class and pick up this gem in Los Gatos >>>>
super neat
1911 Austrian Steyr Waffenrad bicycle
It sounds like the seller is quite motivated

WILL SELL THIS WEEK
But, I'm not sure you could get him quite down to the $150 mark.
Old 01-12-15, 12:58 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
150 marks.... as in circa 1911 issued German gold mark. Heave on in with a wheel barrel full.