Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...
View Poll Results: Stage 15 Poll: Should Contador have waited for Schleck?
Yes
64.29%
No
35.71%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Stage 15 Poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 08:34 PM
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique

Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankBattle
Menchov, Sanchez shoulda waited. Voeckler also shoulda waited. Yellow Jersey was in trouble.
Everyone should have immediately stopped and mobbed poor Andy to help put his chain back on. They also should have pushed him up the mountain and ridden much slower down the mountain so that poor Andy could keep yellow. I mean, his brother crashed out and everything. He really deserves the yellow because of that.
Old 07-19-10, 08:44 PM
nvrlnd7

Bikes: Tommaso Aggraziato,Schwinn Varsity TT Custom

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Today, Alberto made up the time he lost on stage 3 due to his spoke breaking at the end of the stage. Yes, there's rationalization involved, but in the grand scheme of the race, karma seems to be working to even things out.
I hear you zorro,it's working for me,my name is on AC's bike ( in it to win it ! ) so i'm good,i'm in yellow sort of.
Old 07-19-10, 08:50 PM
nvrlnd7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
What about Chavanel, who was in yellow? He had to change bicycles twice. He was trailing a bit when the first happened, but wasn't completely without hope of making it back to the leaders. No special consideration seems to have been given to him.

Frankly, the only time I can think of when an attack was broken off was Ullrich waiting for Armstrong after he went down on the climb. I think it is universally considered poor form to attack while feeding, or taking a natural break, but generally, the peloton is still all together when those events take place. Incidents like today's are very rare -- at least when they involve the maillot jaune.

1. no cares about the french! 2.no one wants the spaniard who beat lance's ass to win!
Old 07-19-10, 08:57 PM
nvrlnd7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoelS
Neither Schleck nor Contador had the yellow jersey on this stage.
Why didnt they wait for Chavenel then smart guy ? he was in yellow behind the crash,and 3 bike changes....
Old 07-19-10, 08:59 PM
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique

Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nvrlnd7
Why didnt they wait for Chavenel then smart guy ? he was in yellow behind the crash,and 3 bike changes....
Apparently being out of the peleton means you don't have to wait, even though Chavanel could have kept the yellow that day... or something. The logical leaps being made to stay pissed at Contador for racing in a race are crazy and getting crazier.
Old 07-19-10, 08:59 PM
nvrlnd7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine
Everyone should have immediately stopped and mobbed poor Andy to help put his chain back on. They also should have pushed him up the mountain and ridden much slower down the mountain so that poor Andy could keep yellow. I mean, his brother crashed out and everything. He really deserves the yellow because of that.
fantastic,well said,remember queen andy didnt even wait for poor franky broken and beaten,as he ditched the yellow jersey on stage three,on their motorbikes!!!! how else is he keeping up with AC
Old 07-19-10, 09:08 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine
Apparently being out of the peleton means you don't have to wait, even though Chavanel could have kept the yellow that day... or something. The logical leaps being made to stay pissed at Contador for racing in a race are crazy and getting crazier.
Excellent post. Andy has been to one big beneficiary of honorable riding so far. Andy wasn't wearing yellow when Cancellara regulated the stage. Call it what you want, Fabian is the one who caused it to shut down. AS, more than likely, caused his own mechanical today while on the attack. Why is it then that everyone has to stop and wait for Andy, again?

Seems like all of the LA fanboys shifted their allegiance to Schleck just because they want someone to beat Contador.
Old 07-19-10, 09:38 PM
kamalster

Bikes: Limongi custom road; GT Avalanche 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The thing that makes the difference for me - AS was attacking when he had the problem. If he had just been sitting in the group along with AC and the others and had his chain slip then, I could see everyone slowing up and waiting for him. But once he chose to attack - game on.
Old 07-19-10, 10:36 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kamalster
The thing that makes the difference for me - AS was attacking when he had the problem. If he had just been sitting in the group along with AC and the others and had his chain slip then, I could see everyone slowing up and waiting for him. But once he chose to attack - game on.
Exactly. And he caused his own mechanical issue. Why should everyone stop and wait for him? Makes no sense. Andy had his good fortune. He gained plenty of time when everyone was stuck behind his brother's crash. And he had a teammate regulate an entire stage after he crashed. No reason to feel sorry for Andy. They're pretty much even now. Time to put up or shut up.
Old 07-19-10, 10:41 PM
FrankBattle 
SilentRider

Bikes: Trek Madone SLR 7, Giant TCR Advanced Pro, Trek Domane SLR, Trek Emonda SLR Project One (x2), custom Bingham Built Titanium road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love this forum
Old 07-19-10, 11:00 PM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
El Pistolero was pulling away when AS wanked his chain. Sure he looked back, but that what the man in front DOES.
Stopping was on nobody's mind, that close to the line. They can be gentlemen next month.
Old 07-19-10, 11:06 PM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 My thoughts exactly! (emphasis added). AS drew 1st blood by attacking. He didn't have to. He could just have rode to the finish with AC but AS knows he can't descend as well as AC so he tried to make up for it by attacking. I bet AS wishes he didn't attack.
Old 07-19-10, 11:18 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
AC had an opportunity to create a legendary TdF moment, but traded it for the yellow jersey. I doubt he was thinking about tradition or legends at the time, regardless of what he saw happen.

If he wins by more than 39 seconds, he'll wish he had the legendary moment.
Old 07-19-10, 11:37 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
AC had an opportunity to create a legendary TdF moment, but traded it for the yellow jersey. I doubt he was thinking about tradition or legends at the time, regardless of what he saw happen. If he wins by more than 39 seconds, he'll wish he had the legendary moment.
Somehow, I dont think he or history will care.

V.
Old 07-20-10, 12:49 AM
Suzie Green
Cycler

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Neutralize this stage and Contador still wins the Tour. This section of France must be the sour grape region.
Old 07-20-10, 01:13 AM
spezi3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AS attacking was also what made the difference to me. If he was in the group with everyone else going at a steady pace, then I could see the riders in the group waiting until the chain was fixed. But he chose to attack and shift gears at that moment. Once a rider attacks, he's fair game for the others to counter that attack.

I think that the main reason AC is getting all the heat instead of Sanchez or Menchov, who went with him, is because he ended up with the yellow jersey at the end of the day.

The next couple of stages will be interesting...

Last edited by spezi3; 07-20-10 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-20-10, 02:19 AM
rogwilco
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by akansaskid
If winning were the only goal, no one in their right mind would have waited. But he's already a TDF champion. He wants to be remembered as a great champion, and in that regard, this was a set back for the legacy he'd prefer to leave. He sees that now. No, what he did was not "wrong"; it's that he didn't do what would have been widely admired as "right."

He's young. I'm sure he's learned a lot today.
I agree with this. Waiting for Schleck would have done more to cement his legacy as a great champion than winning another Tour. Not that the two things are exclusive of each other.

It clearly wasn't as egregious a breach of etiquette as I first though yesterday. Many current and ex-pros whose comments I've read seem to be like "**** happens, AC did what he had to do"; it seems to be pretty much 50/50.
Although that is not to say that Contador wouldn't have been universally praised for his sportsmanship and courage if he had waited.
Old 07-20-10, 02:33 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
so what would schleck's legacy be if contador had slowed/waited so as to finish
with the same time? contador would have gifted schleck at least a minute between
this stage and the earlier goings-on of stages 2 & 3. let's say schleck eventually wins
within that "gifted" time margin. how would history judge both? contador an idiot?
schleck an undeserving opportunist?

contador is the champ of gt's several times over. schleck is the #1 contender. if schleck has
to pull the "fairness" card out to try and win, he's already lost.
Old 07-20-10, 02:42 AM
rogwilco
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess that's true too. It certainly would be a more impressive victory now if Schleck wins this Tour than if he wins after AC waits for him.
Old 07-20-10, 05:50 AM
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rogwilco
I agree with this. Waiting for Schleck would have done more to cement his legacy as a great champion than winning another Tour. Not that the two things are exclusive of each other.

It clearly wasn't as egregious a breach of etiquette as I first though yesterday. Many current and ex-pros whose comments I've read seem to be like "**** happens, AC did what he had to do"; it seems to be pretty much 50/50.
Although that is not to say that Contador wouldn't have been universally praised for his sportsmanship and courage if he had waited.
My guess is that he wouldn't. People already hate Contador for attacking Armstrong last year. Contador won't be able to do a damn thing without people criticizing him. If he had waited, people would have found a reason to think it was B.S.

The fact is, Contador is one of the best grand tour riders in the world right now. He has proven himself for the last 4 years. He is now wearing the yellow because a youthful rider made a mistake. That's bike racing.
Old 07-20-10, 06:03 AM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
All the Scleck fans (mostly LA fanboys and Contador haters) were wildly cheering when he didn't wait for anyone behind the crashes in the cobbles and gained time back on his pathetic time trial performance.

It is unfortunate but it will likely all die down after the next time trial.
Old 07-20-10, 08:25 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
Originally Posted by nvrlnd7
I hear you zorro,it's working for me,my name is on AC's bike ( in it to win it ! ) so i'm good,i'm in yellow sort of.

Yours too? Cool.
Old 07-20-10, 08:31 AM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contador didn't have to stop and wait.

But he didn't have to pick that moment to attack for the first time all day, either.
Old 07-20-10, 05:42 PM
xfimpg

Bikes: RichardZEP

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The results are in!

More than 24 hours after the "Chain Reaction" controversy, 63.75% of BFers believe that Contador should have waited for Schleck.

It's great to see that the majority of us believe in class over crass.
Old 07-20-10, 05:46 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsh
Contador didn't have to stop and wait.

But he didn't have to pick that moment to attack for the first time all day, either.
It was pretty good time to attack. He was responding to Schleck's attack. Andy, most likely caused his misfortune during his attack. Now everyone supposed to wait for Andy, again. Seriously. The yellow jersey carries some weight and respect. But that doesn't mean guys can't race. So if Andy attacked got up the road and crashed through his own fault, everyone has to stop and wait for him. If AC attacked Andy and he lost a chain trying to respond, that's a different story. This was a racing incident caused by Andy. No need to wait for him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.