Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hola from Chapala, Mexico

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-10, 09:27 AM
dengidog

Bikes: Habanero Titanium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone!

I'm a 52 year old, retired woman from the US now living in Mexico. I'm finally working towards my dream of doing a cross-country bike tour.

It's a tough battle because I'm out-of-shape (strike one), haven't biked in years (strike two) and have never done more than 55 miles in one go--nearly 20 years ago (MAJOR strike three!). Having said all of that, I'm not planning on going for nearly a year, have started a bike training schedule (a small bit and baby steps at a time) and am lucky enough to live in an beautiful lakeside area where there are plenty of small and large (!!!!) climbs to help me shape up. And in spite of everything, I'm in pretty good health for an old goat!

Any encouragement/advice/etc is more than welcome!

Dengi
Old 10-18-10, 07:49 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to Bike Forums! Have you checked out the 50 Plus and Touring forums yet?

There is a women's forum you are eligible to gain access to after posting 50 times and can send private messages. Send a PM to Siu Blue Wind (administrator) to get access.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 10-18-10, 11:16 PM
Suzie Green
Cycler

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to the forum Dengi! You may feel you have 3 strikes against you, but I applaud you for getting back into this great sport nonetheless!
Old 10-23-10, 05:36 AM
Alan Parker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Dengi. From Barbara & Alan, a retired couple living by Liverpool, England.

We did a cross-country US bike tour on our tandem bicycle in 1997.
Started in Vancouver, BC and enjoyed every mile cycling towards my sister's house in Greenville, South Carolina.
Less than two days of cycling in the rain, but in temperatures adveraging around 85'. Very hot for white English cyclists.

The bike training for the US tour consisted of cycling every Wednesday and Sunday for 12 months in our home counties.
You will get into shape during the bike tour, I did, I lost 22 ibs and 6 inches from my 34 inch waist.
Barbara had no weight loss, but gained lots of muscle, I should have entered her into the Granny Olympics when we finally returned home.
Alan.
Old 10-25-10, 08:53 AM
dengidog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the great comments! Today I did my usual route (I try to add a bit on each day) and made my first major goal...doing the whole thing without stopping (including a MAJOR OMG hill). Granted, you probably could have walked next to me and gotten farther, faster...lol.

To Alan & Barbara: Hubby is from Ham (near Richmond) and he thinks I'm nuts for wanting to do a cross country tour. Fortunately, he's also supportive, so I can't complain. I was really encouraged reading about your weight loss. I've become too sedentary and it shows. I know the more I lose and tone up, the easier and faster I'll be. How did you keep from overeating once your tour was over?

Cheri
Old 10-25-10, 09:04 AM
JRonaTrek

Bikes: 2019 TREK Emonda SL5 and Madone SLR 6

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 8 Posts
Hola Dengi,

I hope you are loving Mexico. Yo vivia en Nayarit, as a child. and now in Arizona.

Chapala, has many beautiful places, great sights, and awesome food. I hope you reach your goal. Suerte.

JR
Old 10-28-10, 04:15 PM
Alan Parker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nobody has asked that question before, your the first Cheri.
When we returned home, my mother was very ill, died of cancer 6 days later in hospital aged 82.
Since that epic ride, we have given 70 + talks to groups who enjoyed hearing how we cycled across America.
Donations went to cancer research UK.

With not riding every day when returning home, we lost some pedal power and gained a few pounds, that's normal.

Did I tell you, Barbara was 61 and had only been cycling for 4 years when riding across America ?
I had been a cyclist for many more years, since 1952 age 10 years.

I suggest you follow the guidelines in the book " Eat Right For Your Type" by Dr D'ADAMO as we have done.

Show the book to your MD and ask for a Blood Group Test.

You are as young as you feel Cheri.

Alan & Barbara.
Old 11-01-10, 08:46 AM
dengidog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speedy Gonzalez...won't be threatened by me! (boy, am I slooooow!)

Originally Posted by Alan Parker
Nobody has asked that question before, your the first Cheri.
When we returned home, my mother was very ill, died of cancer 6 days later in hospital aged 82.
Since that epic ride, we have given 70 + talks to groups who enjoyed hearing how we cycled across America.
Donations went to cancer research UK.

With not riding every day when returning home, we lost some pedal power and gained a few pounds, that's normal.

Did I tell you, Barbara was 61 and had only been cycling for 4 years when riding across America ?
I had been a cyclist for many more years, since 1952 age 10 years.

I suggest you follow the guidelines in the book " Eat Right For Your Type" by Dr D'ADAMO as we have done.

Show the book to your MD and ask for a Blood Group Test.

You are as young as you feel Cheri.

Alan & Barbara.
I was curious because you always read postings about how such-and-such lost 20-30-40 (or more) pounds, but you never hear whether or not it's permanent. While I'm definitely in need of a good 30 pound loss, most of it needs to come off BEFORE I ride.

I'm really sorry to hear of your loss. Losing a parent is never easy, no matter the cause of the time. Giving talks about your trip and using the donations for cancer research is a wonderful way to remember your mom.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard about that book, but I never followed through on it. I can't remember why.

Hmmm...as old as I feel? Then I'm 18 trapped in a 79 year old body!

Cheri
Old 11-01-10, 04:07 PM
Alan Parker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Cheri.
I am a retired cycle coach and personal trainer and could write of many success stories of people I have helped over many years.

I, and many others have used a heart rate monitor (HRM) during exercise of different types. They are good for cycling providing you keep your eyes on the road and not on the HRM. It helps because you can see or hear when your heart rate goes over your target zone for the day of easy riding, or during a hard, long climb, eg if you can't say your favourite nursery rhyme when cycling, you are trying to hard...slow right down or walk. Dis mount and push the bike, stopping every few yards to rest and recover before moving on. This will happen often during the long steep climbs. Again, it will all depend on your chosen route, and wind direction on the day. How many days have you have planned for intended coast to coast ride ? When we visited Yellowstone during our C T C we took time out to see the park. The day we left the park, we had a 7,000 foot high pass to climb, the legs wouldn't work on the bike...we walked for hours pushng the heavy tandem 100 + lbs, then when the blood eventually got to our leg muscles again, we climbed onboard to continue to the next motel. To many rest days off the bike was no good for us. Our highest pass in the Rockies 9, 568 feet about sea level. We had no problems with altitude sickness, our bodies adjusted to the thin air.

Hope this has helped Cheri ?
Alan & Barbara.
Old 11-02-10, 08:58 AM
dengidog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan Parker
Hello Cheri.
I am a retired cycle coach and personal trainer and could write of many success stories of people I have helped over many years.

I, and many others have used a heart rate monitor (HRM) during exercise of different types. They are good for cycling providing you keep your eyes on the road and not on the HRM. It helps because you can see or hear when your heart rate goes over your target zone for the day of easy riding, or during a hard, long climb, eg if you can't say your favourite nursery rhyme when cycling, you are trying to hard...slow right down or walk. Dis mount and push the bike, stopping every few yards to rest and recover before moving on. This will happen often during the long steep climbs. Again, it will all depend on your chosen route, and wind direction on the day. How many days have you have planned for intended coast to coast ride ? When we visited Yellowstone during our C T C we took time out to see the park. The day we left the park, we had a 7,000 foot high pass to climb, the legs wouldn't work on the bike...we walked for hours pushng the heavy tandem 100 + lbs, then when the blood eventually got to our leg muscles again, we climbed onboard to continue to the next motel. To many rest days off the bike was no good for us. Our highest pass in the Rockies 9, 568 feet about sea level. We had no problems with altitude sickness, our bodies adjusted to the thin air.

Hope this has helped Cheri ?
Alan & Barbara.
Yes, thanks!

I have to be honest and say that since I'm in the early stages (going into my 3rd week) of getting back into biking, I'm mainly concentrating on surviving (lol). My first hurdle was to be able to go up the OMG hill/mountain without stopping or sucking wind. I've done it, but now I have to get a better form, etc, and then go for more distance. I picked up Selen Yeager's book on cycling, and that really has helped a lot--she doesn't talk down to newbies. The idea of saying a nursery rhyme is a great idea--nice and simple to remember.

If all goes well (boy, that covers a lot!), then I'm aiming for a 1 Sep start date. It could easily change, but I'd like to do a corner-to-corner (Seattle to Jacksonville). I'm targeting about 75 days, inclduing a few rest stops/site-seeing/repair days. It could be more, it could be less, but I have no agenda. I'm never going to be one of those who goes zipping down the road, but that's ok. Fortunately, being retired means I'm under no timeline...well, except for the 90 day limit I have for being outside of Mexico.

Did you use panniers or a trailer?

Thanks!

Cheri
Old 11-03-10, 05:35 PM
Alan Parker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Cheri.
I wish you well with your planned route. Have you contacted the Adventure Cycling Association based in Montana? We did, and found their maps very helpful when it came to planning cycle routes. Barbara's main worry every day was where we could find a motel, and in some states, food.

We planned to cycle 1,000 miles per month, but managed 1,200 miles the first month. When we hit the Great Plains in Nebraska and Kansas, we regained our strength. We started our ride July 15 and cycled for 86 days with less than two days of rain fall...but it was hot most of the time.

We had large rear panniers, two smaller at front, and a handlbar bag....total weight of loaded tandem 100 lbs plus our weight on two tyres.
We found we were allowed to take the tandem into our motel rooms, very important we thought...

If you would like to read of our adventure? go to the TOUR STORIES link box on www.merseysidectc.com front page and let us know that you have found our club web site. There are a few extra photo to click onto at the final part of our story.

Enjoy your read.
Barbara & Alan Parker.
Old 11-03-10, 10:54 PM
BayAreaUser

Bikes: Caad 9.5, Madone 6 series, Speed Concept 7 series.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know enough to give any valuable advise, but i just wanted to say welcome to the forum!