Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Whole 30 Success

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-18, 05:51 PM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
Whole 30 Success

I've needed to shed some tonnage for a long time, and have really always battled my weight to some extent. My problem was mostly sugar-related. I like ice cream, dark chocolate, etc. And hamburgers and French fries. An acquaintance in my motorcycle club posted on his Facebook page that he'd lost 29 pounds in 30 days, so I asked him how and he said Whole30.

I looked up the information about the plan and figured it looked like something I could do, so I gave it a try. I lost 30 pounds in my first 30-day round. I took 11 days off and have started Round 2. I seem to have plateaued but have not gained anything back, but that first 30 was with no exercise at all. The weather here has been pretty sucky for late March/early April, but it's getting better now. I went for my first bicycle ride of the season today and I should be able to ride some each day all week. Hopefully I will be able to work off some more weight as I ride through th enext few months. I'd like to lose 30 to 40 more pounds before my 50th class reunion in October. I actually think it's doable; at least 20.

Anyway, I highly recommend the Whole30 to anyone who needs to lose weight and most importantly, get away from eating things that are not good for you. Other people report losing migraines, having more energy, clearer skin, etc.

Old 04-12-18, 02:12 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
I thought the Whole 30 was a food elimination plan to find out what food allergies you might have? Is it a calorie restricted thing now too?

Interesting, one of my Aunt's "thought" she was lactose intolerant and had a glucose "thing". She did 2 rounds of Whole 30, granted this was a few years ago or more, and found out like most people that she simply just eats too much ****ty food. She wasn't allergic to anything really, just the totality of her diet sucked (like most of us).

I thought it sounded unrealistically restrictive.

Congrats on the weight loss, always nice to drop a few.
Old 04-12-18, 06:49 PM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Whole30 has a few "purposes." The main one is to train oneself to eat properly, more vegetables, read ingredient lists, not crave sugar, eliminate foods that trigger problems (like headaches, bloating, etc.). Most people also lose weight but the "rules" say to not weigh until the end, so the focus is on better eating habits, not weight loss.

Old 04-12-18, 08:55 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by decotriumph
Whole30 has a few "purposes." The main one is to train oneself to eat properly, more vegetables, read ingredient lists, not crave sugar, eliminate foods that trigger problems (like headaches, bloating, etc.). Most people also lose weight but the "rules" say to not weigh until the end, so the focus is on better eating habits, not weight loss.
I did this last fall when I started my serious get fit regiment. My doc/nutritionist had me do this but I didn’t know it had an official name until this thread. Anyways it does work. I didn’t loose 30 in 30 but it’s a good basis to find good healthy foods that keep you going and feeling great.

FWIW since I did this and stuck to in now from June 15 till now down 63lbs. It’s tough sometimes but can be accomplished.
Old 04-13-18, 06:00 AM
decotriumph 

Originally Posted by sdmc530
I did this last fall when I started my serious get fit regiment. My doc/nutritionist had me do this but I didn’t know it had an official name until this thread. Anyways it does work. I didn’t loose 30 in 30 but it’s a good basis to find good healthy foods that keep you going and feeling great.

FWIW since I did this and stuck to in now from June 15 till now down 63lbs. It’s tough sometimes but can be accomplished.
That is great! Those are the results I'm after so hopefully I can do it, too. Thanks!