Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1991 Trek 2500

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1991 Trek 2500

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-21, 06:27 PM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
1991 Trek 2500

I picked up this 1991 Trek 2500 off Craigslist today. It looks to be in great shape, including all its original Dura Ace components. It even still had the original Selle Italia Turbo saddle, though I switched it out for a spare Selle Anatomica I had on hand. Carbon fiber looks good, aluminum lugs look good, original Matrix rims are almost like new. It has obviously been pampered the past 30 years.

Likes For decotriumph:
Old 01-30-21, 09:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Pampered or put in an vault and ignored?
Its crazy how pristine that is.

Enjoy!
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-31-21, 03:08 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
That thing is beautiful! Wish Trek made it in a 65/66cm, but hey, we can't always have what we want. Have fun riding that--it should be pretty darn smooth!
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 01-31-21, 05:47 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
Very nice! 2500 frames are definitely not very common, and yours looks beautiful.

Trek paid a lot of attention to making sure those glued joints didn't corrode or deteriorate. As long as you keep it out of your car trunk in Arizona summer heat, the tubes should stay glued for many decades more.

As a public service announcement, just in case you don't know, apologies if this is a "duh!" to you, those Dura-Ace 7400 brifters are pretty valuable, especially if up-close they are as clean as they look here. There's not a lot of clean ones out there, and the chrome surround/edge at the front of the body is very prone to pitting. If they shift well, and the chrome isn't flaking, an easy $200 on ebay, but likely quite a bit more with good photos.

I'm not trying to encourage you to sell them, or part the bike out. I also still think they're Shimano's best-feeling brifter ever. Just making sure you know what you've got there. The other components, in general, aren't as rare/special. Clean/beautiful is always worth more, though. The crankset, and then the stem, would probably round out the Top 3 Most Valuable pieces.

Also note to all, be very careful torquing down that plastic stem cap, they crack just looking at them. I've cracked a couple in my day, and never got a used stem with a non-cracked cap. There are folks selling aluminum repops on ebay, if I ever get another stem with an uncracked plastic cap, I'll baggy the cap and replace it with an alloy one.