Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Which bike should I convert to Gravel?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Which bike should I convert to Gravel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-21, 07:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by scubaman
IDK why everyone votes Sphynx. Elsewhere on Bike Forums is a thread with literally hundreds of people posting about their drop bar conversions of old 26" MTBs.
I love that thread due to the creativity.
That thread also saddens me due to the overwhelming number of examples of clearly ill-fitting bikes due to kludges that make the bike 'fit' with a drop cockpit.
I love the few bikes that look at home and natural in drop bar mode. Those are so sharp.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-13-21, 08:40 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I love that thread due to the creativity.
That thread also saddens me due to the overwhelming number of examples of clearly ill-fitting bikes due to kludges that make the bike 'fit' with a drop cockpit.
I love the few bikes that look at home and natural in drop bar mode. Those are so sharp.
Agree. The line between innovation and ill-advised hack job is difficult to define, but in the words of Justice Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it." Jacobellis v. Ohio, 378 U.S. 184, 197, 84 S. Ct. 1676, 12 L. Ed. 2d 793 (1964) (Stewart, J., concurring).

Relevant to this thread, rigid 26-inch MTB drop bar conversions can be pretty cool but Rockhoppers are a dime a dozen and lower tier bikes so if it's a choice between the Sphinx, which already has 700c wheels and has decent tire clearance, and the Rockhopper, that's probably why most people are voting for the Sphinx.

It would be a different story with a Stumpjumper or a Trek 950, for instance.