Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

WTB: Selle Italia Flite Saddle

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-17, 10:53 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts

For years I rode Flites exclusively and loved 'em. Over the years, however, I went full-on-PC and most of my rigs today wear Concor or 3ttt saddles. The only remaining Flite is a carbon Evolution on my Davidson in Phoenix. It only sees mileage when I visit, so I haven't ridden it in over a year.

I want to give one a try once again. I'm looking for one in black, as near to new as possible with no damage to the leather (i.e. scrapes from crashes). Sorry, not interested in any of the variations (Alpes, Trans-Am, fancy stitching, extra logos, etc).

Just your basic black from the early-to-mid-90s. If you have anything please PM me. Thanks!

Here's a visual of what I'd like to find:

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 07-14-17 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07-13-17, 10:59 PM
mapleleafs-13 

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
For years I rode Flites exclusively and loved 'em. Over the years, however, I went full-on-PC and most of my rigs today wear Concors or 3ttt saddles. The only remaining Flite is a carbon Evolution on my Davidson in Phoenix. It only sees mileage when I visit, so I haven't ridden it in over a year.

I want to give one a try once again. I'm looking for one in black, as near to new as possible with no damage to the leather (i.e. scrapes from crashes). Sorry, not interested in any of the variations (Alpes, Trans-Am, fancy stitching, extra logos, etc).

Just your basic black from the early-to-mid-90s. If you have anything please PM me. Thanks!

DD
funny, i was actually interested in using one of these as well, i have a Flite transalp but i'd rather get the normal shaped one like a standard flite is usually.
Old 07-13-17, 11:09 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by mapleleafs-13
funny, i was actually interested in using one of these as well, i have a Flite transalp but i'd rather get the normal shaped one like a standard flite is usually.
I saw your Transalp. That's in sweet condition, but not wide enough for my aging backside

Anyway, I don't want to stray from the old-school, original shape I was used to. I want to see if I can find an improvement in comfort on longer rides (been having some issues in recent years) and want to remove any possible variables.

Btw, you have a nice collection of stuff on Ebay right now. I'm not in the market, but if I were....

DD
Old 07-14-17, 07:44 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Jeff, you inspired me to give Flite's a chance. One came on the Colnago (Black) and another on the Pinarello (White). Initially I couldn't ride it for more than 30 miles (Colnago) without getting sore. The 40 year old Brooks Pro had no distance limit so I went back to that.

Today I ride the Piny as a commuter and have over 4000 miles on it in the last 3 years, with the Flite. It was an issue of getting use to it. It is strange how the Pro cause me to use different muscles down there! I have one on the Rockhopper.

Knowing I can now ride on one, I like it. There was a NOS white one in Colorado for sale a couple of months ago for close to $200. Ouch. Good luck with your quest!
Old 07-14-17, 07:49 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,520 Times in 2,862 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
For years I rode Flites exclusively and loved 'em.
+1
I've had a Flite on one of my bikes since the mid-90's.
Since then I tried other saddles, (including Brooks), but nothing else suited me as well.
I currently have Flite's on two of my bikes.
I had to replace one two years ago, and found a like-new one on eBay.
Old 07-14-17, 10:30 AM
liddokun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In case no one here can help you out the Flites have been re-issued so you can also pick one up brand new. Typical prices seem be around $90 bucks though.
Old 07-14-17, 10:43 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by liddokun
In case no one here can help you out the Flites have been re-issued so you can also pick one up brand new. Typical prices seem be around $90 bucks though.
True, but they changed the format. If you look at new versus old, you'll see the rails are set lower and more exposed on the re-issues. I've seen them in use on vintage posts (mine will top a Campy SR one-bolt) and they look "off" to me in the aesthetics department.

And yeah, I'm trying hard not to pay anywhere near $90 for one. In fact, I sold most of mine her in the FSOT thread (should've held one back) for no more than $60 each. I'm hoping I can find something decent for a similar price.

DD
Old 07-14-17, 10:46 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by SJX426
Jeff, you inspired me to give Flite's a chance. One came on the Colnago (Black) and another on the Pinarello (White). Initially I couldn't ride it for more than 30 miles (Colnago) without getting sore. The 40 year old Brooks Pro had no distance limit so I went back to that.

Today I ride the Piny as a commuter and have over 4000 miles on it in the last 3 years, with the Flite. It was an issue of getting use to it. It is strange how the Pro cause me to use different muscles down there! I have one on the Rockhopper.

Knowing I can now ride on one, I like it. There was a NOS white one in Colorado for sale a couple of months ago for close to $200. Ouch. Good luck with your quest!
I didn't know that - cool! I remember they did take a bit of getting used to, but we're talking under 100 miles. That was in the mid-90s, when I first began using them in London. Of course, I was 20lbs lighter then, too

NOS prices are out there. But I don't need NOS; in fact, in most cases I am not interested in NOS unless it's toe straps/tires. Used but not abused is my go-to condition for everything else.

DD
Old 07-14-17, 11:01 AM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I have a Flite on the shelf at home. I haven't looked at it in a while but IIRC it's in nice shape. I'll check it out tonight.

I'm riding SMPs these days and I doubt I'll be using it anytime soon.
Old 07-14-17, 12:38 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by brockd15
I have a Flite on the shelf at home. I haven't looked at it in a while but IIRC it's in nice shape. I'll check it out tonight.

I'm riding SMPs these days and I doubt I'll be using it anytime soon.
Thank you. I have one other member with an offer, but he's not back in the US until Monday. I'll consider anything in nice shape. Heck, I can see picking up more than one, just in case my rear ends up happy with the reunion

DD
Old 07-14-17, 01:42 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Got these two Flites, but one, not sure which one, might be sold. Both are in excellent condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_7795.jpg (96.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_7797.jpg (98.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 07-14-17, 05:48 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
I couldn't ride it for more than 30 miles (Colnago) without getting sore. The 40 year old Brooks Pro had no distance limit so I went back to that.
I resemble that remark.

DD- I have an original black Flite, but it has a small scuff on it. If interested, drop a PM.
-J
Old 07-14-17, 05:59 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Got these two Flites, but one, not sure which one, might be sold. Both are in excellent condition.
Randy, as per my original post I'm looking for basic black, the earliest version without all the bells and whistles

DD
Old 07-15-17, 12:06 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Okay, I have found one and it'll be on the way soon

DD