Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling-related gifts

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cycling-related gifts

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23, 09:07 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Cycling-related gifts

I’m such a dope. I’ve been riding road bikes for 42 years. And I’ll admit that beyond cycling-specific shorts and jerseys…I’ve never been a cycling apparel fashionista. I ride old bikes, and I’m more “function over fashion.” At 62 years old, I am firmly a Fred. I’m also not a big gift giver/receiver. But there are a few family and close friends in my life that I do exchange with at those times of the year. I’m thankful …it’s the thought that counts. Yet none of them seem to understand gifting functional cycling-related items. It’s kind of comical. The cycling-related items I’ve received are things like: a t-shirt with a picture of a bicycle and the word “CYCOLOGIST.” An electronic bike horn that mounts on handlebars, with a mountable battery pack. And my personal favorite…wearable turn signals (not small mind you). Worn around the waist to hang off your butt, and a handlebar mountable controller. All useable devices I’m sure. Just not for my type of cycling. Fast forward to Xmas 2022. A close family friend gave me a set of four pairs of what I thought were dress socks. They range from white, to light gray, dark gray, and black. But they’re kind of short for me, and have odd decorative stripes on the back. I though well, I’ll at least use these if for nothing more than wearing around the house. Then one evening, about a month ago, I walk into the dark bedroom where there’s a folded pile of my clean laundry on the bed. The light from the hallway is reflecting off the reflective stripes of a pair. And for a minute I think “Oh, those would make good cycling socks for my nighttime rides.” Then it hits me…DUH! THEY ARE CYCLING SOCKS! (I didn’t recognize the logo) I confirmed it with the giver. And so I have been wearing them on the bike. I like them. But I’m laughing at myself. I finally receive a functional cycling gift (for me) and I don’t even realize it. — Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 06-16-23, 07:18 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
A friend gave me a cycling jersey that hung in my closet for a few years until I put it in the Goodwill pile. My favorite gifts have been bike lights, a leather saddle, pants legs clips....
Old 06-16-23, 07:27 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I have six cycling jerseys, all gifts, but I almost always ride wearing a white t-shirt. I have a lifetime supply of t-shirts that I got in race packets when I was a runner. I don't need the jerseys, but one reason I don't wear them often is that they are all dark colors and I want to be more visible on the road. (I do wear them for long rides because I use the pockets, but I already have more than I need.)
Old 06-17-23, 10:35 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Hah! I think I have the same tailight/turn signal with remote control gifted to me by one of my sisters. I also have a water bottle with lights in it, a cell phone charger, and a bluetooth speaker on top. Empty it weighs more than a normal full water bottle. I politely thank them for the gifts and hope they don't get any more.
Old 06-18-23, 04:19 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
The true gift is that someone knows you have a passion for cycling cares enough to try an accommodate it.
Old 06-18-23, 04:45 AM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Send tubes.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 06-18-23, 09:05 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts
My wife's family with sometimes give me a bicycling related gift but not one of them were anything I'd ever use. The problem is that my wife sees them in my "bike drawer" and asks why I never attached that to my bike and I have to tell her that basically it's a piece of junk. Then I get the lecture about how I don't like anything her family gives me bla bla bla.
Old 06-18-23, 01:30 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
The best bike gift I ever received is the Garmin Varia radar/rear light that my wife gave me a few years ago. I was skeptical about how useful or accurate it would be, but it is incredible and really helps with situational awareness -- especially since my hearing is not as good as it used to be and we have electric and other quiet cars. Highly recommended.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 06-18-23, 01:37 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
It's not only biking stuff. As a general outdoorsman I get knives and fishing stuff I wouldn't carry home if given too me. Most of it is in a drawer Incase asked about .
Old 06-19-23, 06:06 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
It's not only biking stuff. As a general outdoorsman I get knives and fishing stuff I wouldn't carry home if given too me. Most of it is in a drawer Incase asked about .
Ha! I hear that. I always cringe when someone gives me "something to take on a camping trip." For some reason, bike gifts are fewer.
Old 06-19-23, 06:34 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
REI or Amazon Prime wishlists are helpful for families and friends who want to help each other find gifts that will be used and enjoyed. If someone wants to devaiate from the list it is still a starting point. I they have no idea of how to choose they can buy an exact item from the list. If all else fails there are gift cards.
Old 06-20-23, 08:07 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
REI or Amazon Prime wishlists are helpful for families and friends who want to help each other find gifts that will be used and enjoyed. If someone wants to devaiate from the list it is still a starting point. I they have no idea of how to choose they can buy an exact item from the list. If all else fails there are gift cards.
I may look into those wish lists…especially on Amazon. Lots of people around me use that.

Dan
Old 06-22-23, 07:11 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
I usually pick out my own cycling-related gifts, or provide a list.

The best surprise, unsolicited hiking-and-cycling-related gift I ever received was a Camelbak Mule NV backpack from my elder son. He and his wife even scouted around to find me specifically a yellow one, to avoid covering my bright yellow cycling jersey with a dark-colored backpack. With or without the water bladder installed, I have gotten a lot of use out of it during the 12 years I have had it.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069