Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Phew! No "Podium Guys" for Giro...

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-10, 09:10 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts

According to RoadBikeRider.com...

There won't be "podium guys" at the opening 3 stages of the Giro d'Italia in the Netherlands. Instead, the Giro will have traditional podium girls to give top riders their jerseys, trophies and smooches. A move was afoot in Amsterdam, known as the gay capital, to replace the "hopelessly outdated and sexist" women with men or drag queens. The idea was squashed by Giro boss Angelo Zomegnan, saying, "The girls will be Italian and we'll bring them from Italy. This whole thing is not a problem."

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 02-25-10, 09:13 AM
badhat
impressive member

Bikes: c'dale supersix, jamis trilogy, spec. tricross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"The girls will be Italian and we'll bring them from Italy. This whole thing is not a problem."

this is gold
Old 02-25-10, 09:15 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 02-25-10, 09:16 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Old 02-25-10, 09:19 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
How about foo?
Amsterdam, known as the gay capital
Old 02-25-10, 09:28 AM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They pick our cousins out of the audience if we podium.
Old 02-25-10, 09:45 AM
wanders
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by substructure
They pick our cousins out of the audience if we podium.
So that's where Primus's "Jerry was a race car driver" came from.

Old 02-25-10, 09:40 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Guess we'll have to wait for the drag queens at the opening stages in 2012.

Yeah, this one killed me when I read about it. Talk about trying to make a problem where non previously exists.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-26-10, 03:37 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
now boycotting the giro and hoping the vuelta comes to their collective senses. nearly half of the podium girlz at the tdf
are not...
Old 02-27-10, 09:04 AM
Cateye

Bikes: Orbea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrong
According to RoadBikeRider.com...

There won't be "podium guys" at the opening 3 stages of the Giro d'Italia in the Netherlands. Instead, the Giro will have traditional podium girls to give top riders their jerseys, trophies and smooches. A move was afoot in Amsterdam, known as the gay capital, to replace the "hopelessly outdated and sexist" women with men or drag queens. The idea was squashed by Giro boss Angelo Zomegnan, saying, "The girls will be Italian and we'll bring them from Italy. This whole thing is not a problem."
Thank you lord.
Old 03-01-10, 08:58 AM
lukasz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too bad. I like when people get their panties in a bunch about trivial things. We would have had BF threads like this every day until July!

Originally Posted by sykerocker
Yeah, this one killed me when I read about it. Talk about trying to make a problem where non previously exists.
It is only a problem if you make it a problem. The organizers just viewed it as something fun to do to mix things up (and this was my view of it as well), but unfortunately cycling is a sport with a fan base like that of any other.

Last edited by lukasz; 03-01-10 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-01-10, 09:16 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by lukasz
Too bad. I like when people get their panties in a bunch about trivial things. We would have had BF threads like this every day until July!

It is only a problem if you make it a problem. The organizers just viewed it as something fun to do to mix things up (and this was my view of it as well), but unfortunately cycling is a sport with a fan base like that of any other.
Agreed. The podium girl tradition is embarrassingly tacky, sexist and outdated. Something like this would have been a fun and funny way to put more of a microscope on it. But seeing as the Giro is run by Italians, there was no way it was going to happen. Oh well.
Old 03-10-10, 04:59 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Sigh, I miss the good ol' days when we got trophy-monkeys on the podium, and if you won something really big, you got a monkey in a cowboy suit.

Old 03-15-10, 09:44 PM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Agreed. The podium girl tradition is embarrassingly tacky, sexist and outdated. Something like this would have been a fun and funny way to put more of a microscope on it. But seeing as the Giro is run by Italians, there was no way it was going to happen. Oh well.
It's a fun tradition that has held steadfast against the PC juggernaut, some people won't stop until everybody is as miserable as they are.
Old 03-17-10, 11:20 AM
lukasz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That monkey picture is hilarious. Do you think that the Crest team had to have good teeth?

Originally Posted by RacerOne
It's a fun tradition that has held steadfast against the PC juggernaut, some people won't stop until everybody is as miserable as they are.
Political correctness in this case is keeping the status quo. Politicians do what people will them to, or at least they're supposed to. Cycling fans are just as homophobic as everyone ese. Anyway, I don't see what politics has to do with this issue except in a very general definition of the word.

No one is saying "let's have podium guys because it is unfair that it is always girls." Equality in that specific line of work is just not a reasonable expectation from any point of view. All that the folks in Amsterdam wanted to do is give the event some local flavor and certainly added exposure. It is not like it would be mandated by the UCI, and it might probably never happen again. The people who care most about this issue are those that don't want to see podium dudes.

Personally, I cringe during the whole podium girls event when I watch a bike race. I can often tell that some of the cyclists on the podium find it tiring as well. It is embarrassing, especially if someone not in tune with cycling "tradition" is also watching. You said that you think it is fun. That is a perfectly valid point. On the other hand, just because something is a tradition doesn't make it worth keeping--tradition is not a reasonable point to bring up in an argument. All you are saying is "because x happened before y, x is better."
Old 03-18-10, 04:58 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Agreed. Podium girls should go. What on earth are they even up there for if you can't spray them with champagne?
The racers who finished second & third turned themselves inside out and and therefore deserve to flank the winner, and they probably wouldn't mind spraying each other.

This is one aspect in which Nascar & MotoGP have us beaten.
Old 03-20-10, 07:26 PM
Suzie Green
Cycler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was kind of hoping to be a podium girl for a little extra lunch money, now that I'm retired.
Old 03-24-10, 01:35 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerOne
Project much?

Calling an opinion "PC" is code for "But I LIKE my sexism, and you can't take it away from me!"

But if you prefer, there's no need to take it away on the basis of sexism. The podium girl tradition is a crime against good taste. That's reason enough by itself.
Old 04-10-10, 11:59 PM
ALANB58

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well everything in cycling is traditional, and I love it. The yellow and polka dot jerseys, the painting on the roads, the parades. Maybe someday we will see women in Burquahs on the podium, but Saudi Arabia has to put a man on the podium first.

So, gay dudes must sometimes win races, based on percentages. Just put it on the start list entry form. Do you prefer to be kissed on the cheak by a hot women, or a hot male.

You have that right, I am an old dude.
Old 04-11-10, 07:01 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grolby
I think podium guys were a good idea. I get tradition but I also believe in progress.
Old 04-21-10, 09:49 AM
L'Ardoisier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is also Champagne on cycling races : look at the Amstel Curacao Race podium ;-)

--

Tour de France : Podium girls pictures gallery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
.curacao_foto52_m.jpg (30.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 04-21-10, 04:32 PM
deadly downtube
mountain troll

Bikes: the hummer brand mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I for one welcome our podium dude overlords..
Old 04-25-10, 05:25 AM
robertv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh god... I love how our girls in Curacao are twice the size of the riders. Just makes me proud.
Old 05-24-10, 01:59 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Podium guys would have an easy day of it in this venue.. In our nearby cols women cyclists were to be seen in great abundance just this past weekend getting ready for the annual Tour de Aude, femimine. ( sorry cycling News photos are copyrighted...)
# Cervelo Test Team's Claudia Hausler, the Tour de l'Aude winner, and her team-mates. - see fifth photo , stage 9.
https://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/...e09/?id=photos

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 05-24-10, 02:26 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meh... who cares if it's guys or girls or whatever. I bet the winner only cares about the winning part.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.