Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Totally noob questions about buying a trailer

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-12, 08:18 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Is there any type of bike frame geometry that lends itself to towing a trailer with? To avoid? Or pretty much doesn't matter?

I currently have only one bike*. Short chain stays mean that I've experinced heel strike from time to time. Also car light, and currently unemployed. Wife works second shift, so I have access to the Jeep in the a.m. if needed, but I can get to just about anywhere in my town by bike. I can't justify the expense of another bike that is either more rack/pannier friendly nor is a Free Radical kit in the cards. So thinking about getting a used kiddie trailer off of the local CL.

*The bike is pictured in my avatar. It's a 2006 Kona Smoke- 22" chro-mo frame with 16.3" chainstays rolling on 26x1.5 rubber.
Old 07-17-12, 09:36 PM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
craigs list works fine, unless you need a bigger/ more specific trailer.
cost seems to be the biggest factor around here.
Old 07-18-12, 05:24 AM
dayworks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a plan to me although pay careful attention to the attachment. Most kid trailers attach to the chain stay and if you're already having trouble with heel strike to me it sounds like something you'll need to look out for. I've had the issue come up with the trailer I manufacture and I'm in the middle of redesigning the hitch to take care of that very issue. Good luck.
Old 07-18-12, 05:53 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like a good bike for trailer atatchment. Hitches can be a problem, especially on cheapo trailers. We have altered such systems more than once. Just bought some Burly hitches (the forged alu ones) since they are easy to find and a good system that interacts with several other trailer hitches.

There is also the airhose solution that Bike Friday uses. Can be made locally if you can find a welder.

Just in case you are interested: Theae are racks made to fit bikes with short chainstays and also adaptors to move regular racks further back. Can be bought several places, this is the one I use: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mobile/rack-spares-dept964/

Several peopel have posted converted child trailer so just search the site. Also remember that if you want to haul long stuff maybe all you need is a looong towbar (make an extension) and place the load in the right way.
Old 07-18-12, 03:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Burly tows from left hub end, hitch goes under the axle nut or QR

you can find old Kid trailers, then make a deck on them, or just pack stuff in them as is.

new? Iowa made Bikes-at-work is a modular, add modules till 6 foot long.
Old 07-18-12, 09:33 PM
MadCityCyclist

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Salsa Mukluk II, Trek 7500, Raliegh fixie, 3 SS cruisers, JC Higgins Color Flow, Junker Flying Jet, KHS F20-A, Worksman trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a kid's trailer at a thrift store, built a base for it and attached it to my rear rack with some kind of twister/gator strip from Wally world. Total cost was less than $20. The nice thing about attaching it to the rear rack is that you sure don't have to worry about heel strikes.