Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

The experiences of a new track racer

Old 03-19-18, 11:08 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Started road racing at 18, after a long break finally got on the track at 39. I'm now 49 and still learning. You're good.

Last edited by Baby Puke; 03-19-18 at 11:09 PM. Reason: sic
Old 03-20-18, 05:38 AM
m_sasso

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts
54 Phhhhhht, barely over a half pint, I have ridden a bicycle, ever since, seems like just a few moments after I learned to walk however never spent much time on the track. Moved close to the Burnaby, BC Velodrome this past fall, picked up a BMC TR02, some Scatto Ltd and some nerve and got started with track racing over the winter at 64. Didn't know what I was missing all these years! Not going to make up for lost time at this point, more about the process than outcomes but I am now out there 3 or 4 times a week and still keep most of the young guns engaged.

Last edited by m_sasso; 03-20-18 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-20-18, 07:07 AM
e17blade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FinkFloyd
Thanks for the advice - hopefully I'll be in a position to be reporting back from track league meets soon!
@carleton, @bmwjoe, @e17blade - do you mind me asking how old you were when you started? I'm 32 now and have not been cycling long (2 years, roughly); it's something which it is possible to feel self-conscious about at Manchester when the wee academy kids, who are looking to be hoovered up into the British Cycling machine, come hooning past. I imagine it's similar to skiing, when you tiptoe down your first red run only to be overtaking by a bored-looking seven-year-old who's going backwards and picking his nose at the same time.
I have been riding for a long time, but only started racing on the road at 42, and then on the track at 44. I sometimes race against people not much older than my kids! Don't be put off by it.
Old 03-20-18, 07:52 AM
MrMinty

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8, Claud Butler Roubaix, Raleigh Equipe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkFloyd
The things that I find slightly intimidating at the moment as regards starting with the racing is (a) wondering whether I've got the fitness for it, and (b) wondering whether it's all a bit chaotic. I've got a reasonably decent road season planned (doing the Fred Whitton along with a few other big sportives) so hopefully that and a few of the SQT sessions available at Manchester (Structured Quality Sessions; basically interval drills on the track in a big group) will help with the fitness and track craft. Just a case of getting in there and learning after that, but your write-ups give me confidence that it's not as impenetrable as it may initially seem.
a) just dive straight in, there's no shame in a DNF. At least you are learning your track craft

b) Its not chaotic at all. There will be moment where people cut you up etc, but just hold your line and nerve and you'll be fine.

I got accredited in Manchester on the Sunday and raced the following Friday. All you need is track time and to get used to being in a group. Have a look at Carletons beginners guide to read up on this. My first goal was to finish in the bunch and not be first out in an elimination race.

Where do you live? There's plenty of outdoor tracks that have leagues over the summer
Old 03-23-18, 12:02 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I started racing on the road seriously when I turned 60. Last year I switched over to the track, and I was competitive. My racing age is 66. You'll be fine!
Old 03-28-18, 03:21 AM
Bluscuba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really enjoyed the blogs - felt exhausted reading them.

Did you have a coach specifically for the track? Sounds like you improved dramatically in a short space of time.
Old 10-12-19, 05:56 AM
e17blade

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A new track racing season is on the horizon. I’ve written a new blog in anticipation: “Season Three”...

https://e17blade.wordpress.com/2019/10/12/season-three/
Old 12-21-21, 06:42 AM
e17blade

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another season of track racing has started - progress has been made again - which always prompts a new blog...

https://e17blade.wordpress.com/2021/12/21/validation/