Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

600k brevet - go straight through, or sleep?

Old 09-04-19, 02:02 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I probably won't take a crack at a straight-through 600 until I can do an 18 hour 400.
Old 09-04-19, 03:31 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
If I didn't feel like eating at Loudeac was such a waste of time, I would have ridden through to Brest. The night start really redoodles the math about this for me. Of course, being well rested at the start is key.

I think you can get by with 20 minutes sleep
Old 09-04-19, 05:58 PM
MetinUz

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think you can get by with 20 minutes sleep
Charly Miller riders get by with that little sleep, but they ride through 2 nights. It has to be awfully tough to ride through 4 nights with a total of 20 minutes of sleep.

I have done a straight-through 600k, but I need to sleep long enough for 3 REM cycles each night to feel fresh on a 1200k.
Old 09-04-19, 08:15 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Some people handle sleep deprivation well, some don't. I don't, so I can't do a straight-through 600k. Unless I'm fast enough to do it in 24h... but I'm not.
Old 09-04-19, 08:27 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by MetinUz
Charly Miller riders get by with that little sleep, but they ride through 2 nights. It has to be awfully tough to ride through 4 nights with a total of 20 minutes of sleep.

I have done a straight-through 600k, but I need to sleep long enough for 3 REM cycles each night to feel fresh on a 1200k.
I agree about a 1200k. I meant 20 minutes at a time, so 20 minutes on a 600k. I got a lot more sleep than that during PBP, some of it inadvertently when the medical folks told me I was waiting for a doctor, but wasn't. Least sleep I have gotten on a 1200k was 6 hours. I had one sleepy episode riding on the 3rd night, but during the day I was okay. I think I felt the lack of sleep in my legs though.

Does sleeping 20 minutes on a 600k constitute riding through? I don't think so, and it's a lot wiser than trying to go without sleep. I am pretty sure most people will make that up, and probably will make up a lot more sleep than that.
Old 09-23-19, 07:35 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
@mattm is still around. Now that we're at it, I am curious as to the rest of the story.
Rest of the story can be found here.

I ended up being way slower than planned, had time for ~45 mins of sleep at the 400k checkpoint, and then DNFd the next day after getting a flat and having my pump break.

I still remember dozing off WHILE RIDING(!!) a few times just before the flat happened.. that thing where you nod off but then pop back awake instantly, so I didn't crash or anything.

Fwiw I did go on to finish a few other 600k's. Makes for some good stories, that's fore sure.

my race videos
Likes For mattm:
Old 09-24-19, 10:21 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Rest of the story can be found here.

I ended up being way slower than planned, had time for ~45 mins of sleep at the 400k checkpoint, and then DNFd the next day after getting a flat and having my pump break.

I still remember dozing off WHILE RIDING(!!) a few times just before the flat happened.. that thing where you nod off but then pop back awake instantly, so I didn't crash or anything.

Fwiw I did go on to finish a few other 600k's. Makes for some good stories, that's fore sure.
Good write-up... glad you finished a few more 600s this season.

Too bad on the broken pump. I've had two pumps fail on brevets, one was still usable; it was a lezyne of some sort with a gauge that had plastic threads for the hose that melted at higher pressures as the pump got hot, but I finished pumping up the tire. The other pump was a topeak that had a threaded end-cap that came off at some point during the ride and I only found out when I went to use it... thankfully another rider was behind me and they had a pump I could borrow... I'd end up needing it again less than 20km down the road. I'm at the point with pumps I might start carrying CO2 with me, the canisters are completely recyclable 'cos they are just steel; but there are plenty of people that have problems with inflators too.
Old 09-24-19, 05:21 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I used to mention that my topeak road morph G failed me on the Endless Mountains 1200k at every opportunity. Thread about pumps? I would post my experience. Heh. Fortunately, a volunteer had a spare pump.
Old 09-24-19, 05:56 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I used to mention that my topeak road morph G failed me on the Endless Mountains 1200k at every opportunity. Thread about pumps? I would post my experience. Heh. Fortunately, a volunteer had a spare pump.
Show some gratitude, mister. A Topeak Road Morph G pumped up your almost flat rear tire this past weekend.
Old 09-24-19, 07:31 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I was going to give 50/50 odds that yours would fail. I liked mine right up until it stranded me and I had to walk a couple of miles, and then I gave up and rode on the flat tire. Supposedly you can take it apart and check the bolt that comes loose, but I never did figure out how to do that and put it in metal recycling.
Old 09-24-19, 08:20 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I experienced my first pump failure shortly after buying my first road bike, just a few km away from home. Thanks to that experience, I've learnt to always check my primary pump before any long ride and to carry a spare on a multi-day brevet (well... technically three pumps, since my primary is a hybrid hand pump and CO2 inflator).

But anyways, there are a lot of modern pumps which are very small and pocketable... sometimes too small to consider as a main, but worth keeping as a backup. Or even just carry a CO2 inflator, those things are tiny.
Old 09-25-19, 06:01 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

On my travel bike, I have a modified Lezyne. I had to take it apart to put a spring in it for frame mounting. Some people really hate them, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to come apart the way the Topeak did.
Old 11-14-19, 06:13 AM
s-o

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
I still don't know how she managed not to fall asleep on the bike.
Are you sure she didn’t?

I had a rough time in the middle of the night on a 600k, and just couldn’t understand why I suddenly started making sharp turns in the middle of the road every few minutes. Finally, I realized that I simply was falling asleep on my bike, and that I was just awake enough to turn sharply to avoid falling over when I stopped turning the pedals and slowed down. The sudden turning woke me up, and after a few minutes it all happened again.
45 minutes of sleep at a bus stop in the middle of nowhere fixed the problem.
Old 11-14-19, 07:36 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I had a similar thing going on one morning of the 1000k I rode in June. I would be riding along and then I would notice my rear wheels was skidding. Good thing the bike knows how to stay up. I kept trying to find a place to stop where people wouldn't continually wake me up, and failed. I stopped for some ice cream and invented my new method of staying awake -- counting to one over and over again. I was really close to the overnight, it was extremely annoying that I couldn't stay awake for a half hour