Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Climbing Muscle Group

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Climbing Muscle Group

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-19, 07:53 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat
For reference, during the past four years, I've developed worsening polyneuropathy of both lower legs. The left more than the right and you can see atrophy compared to years ago. No other muscles have been affected by the ailment. On a 5 mile cat 3 plus a half-mile approach I have lost 60-65 watts of power. The little over five-mile climb now takes me on average seven minutes longer. For seated maximum efforts of 45 seconds, I've lost about 100 watts.
o/t But if you don't already know what has/is causing your polyneuropathy, have your vitamin B12 levels checked.

Glenn
Old 12-15-19, 12:06 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Ditto the breathing exercises. I still use the incentive spirometer I got at the hospital last year after surgery. Helps remind me to correct my poor breathing habits, reminds me to exhale fully and use the diaphragm. After an injury last year (hit by a car) my entire torso was tense. I'm still needing to work on loosening the intercostal muscles to breathe deeply without pain. Massage, foam roller and percussion massager help loosen up those tight torso muscles so I can breathe more freely.
Mountaineers call it pressure breathing. It took me a while to remember what it is called. Rainier Mountain Guides have some info on this technique which will work just fine for cyclists as sea level. https://www.rmiguides.com/blog/2014/...or_performance
Likes For berner:
Old 12-15-19, 03:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Mountaineers call it pressure breathing. It took me a while to remember what it is called. Rainier Mountain Guides have some info on this technique which will work just fine for cyclists as sea level. https://www.rmiguides.com/blog/2014/...or_performance
Thanks for that link.

A relative reminded me recently that another reason for my breathing difficulties was exposure to TB as a kid. I'd forgotten I had a lot of bouts with pneumonia and other respiratory problems as a little kid. So I probably have some compromised upper lung tissue. Another reason to work on deep breathing.

I started working on it a couple of years ago when GCN had Emma Pooley as a regular presenter. I noticed in videos featuring climbing that Emma's tummy was like a frog's throat -- it puffed out and retracted that noticeably. Probably key to her mountain goat bike climbing capability. Well, that and her power to weight ratio. She's tiny but powerful.

Since my previous post I've been working on stretching and massage to loosen up those tight intercostal muscles. That includes using a double headed percussion massager. At first it actually hurt to take full breaths expanding my lower ribs. But it's loosened up a bit over the past couple of weeks.

My climbing times have improved on some familiar routes that have always thwarted me. I don't feel any faster and I don't use any bike mounted computers. I just record 'em via Wahoo Fitness and Strava, focus on breathing and cadence, and check my times later. I'm getting faster, but it sure doesn't feel any faster during the ride.
Old 12-15-19, 05:06 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've been asthmatic since childhood and it has been getting worse over the years. This is not too surprising as I have breathed in fiberglass and some carbon dust as well plenty of the noxious fumes associated with boat building. But the situation is actually worst than this even though I no longer breath that stuff. I have approached NYC early in the morning on a clear day at the end of a sea voyage from the Caribbean and at that time was surprised to see a dark cloud of pollution hanging over the city. If you live in such a place, you are breathing in pollution every minute of every day. The lesson is that even if you cannot see the pollution, it is there. If you live in such a place, every day whittles away hours off your life time. In some places that still burn coal, such as Peking, peoples eyes water and they have chronic coughs. I've been paying close attention to yoga/pressure breathing for a while now and strive to get a nice fat buddah belly.
Old 12-16-19, 03:44 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean about NYC. As a kid I lived near there in the 1960s, during the worst era of air pollution. Grime on every surface from the pollution. We sort of got accustomed to it when we lived in the nearby 'burbs (Mt Vernon and Elmsford), but when we moved out to the far end of Long Island, the NYC pollution bothered me a lot worse on our occasional trips back to the city.

And my mom was a heavy smoker, which probably aggravated my respiratory problems. I remember practically gagging in pain from her cigarette smoke going home from my tonsillectomy as a kid. But she was so hooked on cigarettes she was incapable of going more than 5 minutes without smoking and it was a 30-40 minute ride home from the hospital. Probably the angriest I'd ever been with her. Even the other adults in the car were asking her to stop smoking and she couldn't or wouldn't. Biggest surprise of my life was when she quit smoking and drinking at the same time, cold turkey, at age 50. Never had a single slip back in the next 30 years she was alive. I was damned proud of her for that.
Old 12-16-19, 03:09 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
I've been asthmatic since childhood and it has been getting worse over the years. This is not too surprising as I have breathed in fiberglass and some carbon dust as well plenty of the noxious fumes associated with boat building. But the situation is actually worst than this even though I no longer breath that stuff. I have approached NYC early in the morning on a clear day at the end of a sea voyage from the Caribbean and at that time was surprised to see a dark cloud of pollution hanging over the city. If you live in such a place, you are breathing in pollution every minute of every day. The lesson is that even if you cannot see the pollution, it is there. If you live in such a place, every day whittles away hours off your life time. In some places that still burn coal, such as Peking, peoples eyes water and they have chronic coughs. I've been paying close attention to yoga/pressure breathing for a while now and strive to get a nice fat buddah belly.
Wildfire smoke.