Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Silica Giro chuck issues.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-19, 07:26 PM
R3drider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Silica Giro chuck issues.

I recently picked up a Silica hiro v3 chuck and it won't hold the valve over 100 psi. Is there something I'm missing? Can an adjustment be made? Or is there a better option out there? I for now will continue to use my crack pipe, but would love to get a hold of a chuck that actually does what the hiro is supposed to do. Very disappointed in silica.
Old 12-13-19, 04:37 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
There are minor adjustments you can make to the SILCA Hiro, specifically the gasket preload. To do this you need the "arm" in the open position, then slightly (small amounts) turn the "face" of the chuck, likely clockwise.

Most issues I see people have are either ^^^ or by ramming the Hiro down on the valve as hard as they can, which has the potential to damage the gasket. There is a big red "button" on the back of the chuck that looks like it's just begging people to press down on it... it's much better to press down firmly closer to where it screws onto the schrader, then turning the lock lever.

It takes a little bit of finess and playing with it to get it right, but you should definitely have no problem getting well over 160+ psi once it's installed correctly on the valve.

Troubleshooting
- if air is leaking from the Chuck - check the preload, check the gasket for damage
- if air is leaking further back - check the pump, check the connection from hose to chuck
- if Hiro is popping off the valve as you're inflating, you are not getting a firm enough "grip on the valve with the chuck... check preload, check lever arm tightness, check press down force to establish connection (too much or too little) check valve - test on different valve.

failing all that, contact Silca customer support, they should be able to better diagnose the issue.
Likes For Morelock:
Old 12-16-19, 07:02 PM
R3drider

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks fore the tips. Spent a little time fidelling with the adjuster and eventually got it to hold tight. Really happy to not have too build arm strength via the one hand pump method. Silica is no longer on my naughty list.
Old 12-16-19, 07:15 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
My experience with Silca has been nothing but spectacular. Asked for decals for a 50 year old pump and they supplied them free! I have a number of older model pump heads that will likely be replaced with the newer head. I still use a model 52 on my compressor mounted tool for inflation, but I am about to even change that one out. They even carry latex tubes for the race crowd, not available anywhere else. Smiles, MH
Old 12-17-19, 01:54 AM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock
There are minor adjustments you can make to the SILCA Hiro, specifically the gasket preload. To do this you need the "arm" in the open position, then slightly (small amounts) turn the "face" of the chuck, likely clockwise.

Most issues I see people have are either ^^^ or by ramming the Hiro down on the valve as hard as they can, which has the potential to damage the gasket. There is a big red "button" on the back of the chuck that looks like it's just begging people to press down on it... it's much better to press down firmly closer to where it screws onto the schrader, then turning the lock lever.

It takes a little bit of finess and playing with it to get it right, but you should definitely have no problem getting well over 160+ psi once it's installed correctly on the valve.

Troubleshooting
- if air is leaking from the Chuck - check the preload, check the gasket for damage
- if air is leaking further back - check the pump, check the connection from hose to chuck
- if Hiro is popping off the valve as you're inflating, you are not getting a firm enough "grip on the valve with the chuck... check preload, check lever arm tightness, check press down force to establish connection (too much or too little) check valve - test on different valve.

failing all that, contact Silca customer support, they should be able to better diagnose the issue.
Brilliant tips, I was having problems as well, going to try these! Thank you!
Old 12-17-19, 06:25 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by R3drider
Thanks fore the tips. Spent a little time fidelling with the adjuster and eventually got it to hold tight. Really happy to not have too build arm strength via the one hand pump method. Silica is no longer on my naughty list.
One of these will hold the chuck in place: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Jorgensen-6...amp/1001053746

I did have to cut/file mine down to fit better, but it works very well.