Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Cadence too low?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Cadence too low?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-19, 10:09 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Can anybody tell me what size shoe to wear?
42. The answer to everything. And coincidentally, slightly larger than the average shoe size, in Euro sizes.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-30-19, 12:29 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
If 9 and 1/2 really is the average shoe size, I feel sorry for a lot of wives.
Old 12-30-19, 07:59 AM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm definitely going to try and switch it up and try to maintain the current speed at a higher RPM. I want to tackle some longer rides, definitely a century, and it sounds like this would be pretty beneficial. (Longest ride to date has only been 40+ miles, on a flat rail trail.)

As for the power estimates, I did a slightly longer gravel ride the day after and it estimated 239 -- so it might be all over the place. (Window shopping for giggles, power meter pedals are expensive...as in they cost more than I spent building this particular gravel/mountain/fitness/hybrid/franken-bike from the frame up. )
Old 12-30-19, 11:48 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Synack42
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm definitely going to try and switch it up and try to maintain the current speed at a higher RPM. I want to tackle some longer rides, definitely a century, and it sounds like this would be pretty beneficial. (Longest ride to date has only been 40+ miles, on a flat rail trail.)

As for the power estimates, I did a slightly longer gravel ride the day after and it estimated 239 -- so it might be all over the place. (Window shopping for giggles, power meter pedals are expensive...as in they cost more than I spent building this particular gravel/mountain/fitness/hybrid/franken-bike from the frame up. )
There's currently a Garmin Edge 800 on ebay for $75. I get all my electronic devices there. I'm using an 800 that I bought in '10. Still working perfectly. It will change your life, guaranteed. That and RidewithGPS.

You'll also need an ANT+ heart rate monitor if you don't already have one. Amazon. Way cheaper than power and plenty good enough for now. Oh - and you'll also want an ANT+ speed and cadence sensor. Garmin makes them, among others.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 12-30-19 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-08-20, 02:58 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
If you're getting from point A to point B at the speed you want, with nothing hurting afterward, your cadence is fine.
Is it?

I got a cadence meter some time ago and increased my average cadence by ca. 10 (i.e. whereas before 70 felt comfortable now I can do 80 comfortably). In doing so, my legs feel fresher. They weren't "hurting" before, but certainly feel fresher.

There's a youtube I follow and he sometimes does analysis of professional's data, and he noticed that several for sure to cadence related workouts, as well. So from a workout perspective it also seems to be useful.
Old 04-08-20, 09:33 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Generally, Iike to stay between 80-90 rpm. This will vary with terrain of course I alsopay attention to what my legs tell me. If my legs start feeling more power than spin I may drop down a cog. Depends on what I'm trying to do.
Old 04-08-20, 12:36 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Synack42

I'm loving the stats for nerds aspect of all this data. Looking at it I'm realizing my cadence seems low. It is extremely flat around my house, I usually stay in a 48/11 combo constantly, aside from stopping at lights. I rode the normal workout route today and cadence averaged 56 RPM: https://www.strava.com/activities/2960322315

Think it would be beneficial for a calorie burning oriented rider to mix it up and spin faster in a different gear?
Yes. That will get you more endurance and make knee problems less likely.
Old 04-08-20, 02:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Is it?

I got a cadence meter some time ago and increased my average cadence by ca. 10 (i.e. whereas before 70 felt comfortable now I can do 80 comfortably). In doing so, my legs feel fresher. They weren't "hurting" before, but certainly feel fresher.

There's a youtube I follow and he sometimes does analysis of professional's data, and he noticed that several for sure to cadence related workouts, as well. So from a workout perspective it also seems to be useful.
So it was fine, and now it's a little better. Awesome.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498