Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Frame Material

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Frame Material

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-20, 06:59 PM
Jimtex222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame Material

Does anybody know the ride quality difference between the aluminum frame and carbon frame on the Bacchette recumbent.
Old 01-12-20, 02:07 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I don't. I tested an aluminum Giro once. I could feel all the bumps but it wasn't particularly bothersome. Possibly due to the thick foam on the Euromesh seat. I've never been on a Carbon Aero.
Old 01-12-20, 04:16 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
I've got a steel Giro 26 and a carbon fiber CA2.0.
The CA2.0 is plenty stiff, at least in terms of torsion when pedaling. The choice of tire size does affect the ride quality. I've got a 650C wheelset and a 26" wheelset. The 26" wheels can take a bit larger tire, which handles rough roads better.

To me, the biggest difference is the seat. The Giro has the mesh seat with the thick pad for the bottom. The seat structure isn't very stiff laterally, and the bike seems fairly flexible and squirrely.
By comparison, the carbon seat pan and thin foam pad is mounted solidly to the frame. It feels much stiffer in regards to control and bike handling.
I've had both bikes for over 10 years, and have forgotten a lot of the terminology for the seat types... sorry!

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-13-20, 01:15 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Bacchetta offers three seats: the Recurve, which is a hard seatpan with a cushion, combined with a mesh back; a carbon shell; and the Euromesh which is an aluminum outer frame in the shape of a carbon shell, with fabric stretched around the frame. Different models come with different seats as standard equipment, but you can always choose a different seat.
Old 01-22-20, 10:28 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimtex222
Does anybody know the ride quality difference between the aluminum frame and carbon frame on the Bacchetta recumbent.
FIFY...

There may be a difference but it's magnitudes less than the difference between tires.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-28-20, 08:31 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
FIFY...

There may be a difference but it's magnitudes less than the difference between tires.
I second that, Tire are Everything In the bent world.

I ride Chromoly steel and love it. All three of my bents are Chromo btw