Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Any 3 wheelers on this forum?

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Old 01-02-20, 03:51 AM
Dobermandi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

In process of purchasing a Sun Baha Trike ....anyone familiar is that with this ride?
Old 01-02-20, 11:18 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
A trike is a trike not a cruiser. Roger
Old 01-02-20, 07:34 PM
Dobermandi

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Mr. Roger .....is there a category you can direct me to ....I notice you are a senior member and hoping maybe you can give me some direction.
If there is not a place for trikes in this forum just let me know and I will roll on down the road (so to speak).
Advise from anyone would be welcomed.
Thank you.
Old 01-02-20, 08:01 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by Dobermandi
Mr. Roger .....is there a category you can direct me to ....I notice you are a senior member and hoping maybe you can give me some direction.
If there is not a place for trikes in this forum just let me know and I will roll on down the road (so to speak).
Advise from anyone would be welcomed.
Thank you.
I think some trikes can be cruisers . So can three speed English bikes , Mountain Bikes , and a few other bikes .
A lot of different styles of bikes can be made into a cruiser .
Be sure to post picks of your new trike when you get it .
Old 01-02-20, 08:07 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Looked up the Sun Baja Trike .
Definitely a cruiser in my opinion .
I wouldn’t mind having one . May be something my wife and I can share .
I was going to post a picture but their website wouldn’t allow me to copy .
here you go .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 01-02-20, 09:50 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
In process of purchasing a Sun Baha Trike ....anyone familiar is that with this ride?
Sharp looking trike. Please share your review after you get a chance to put some miles on it.
Old 01-02-20, 10:18 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
I wont lie, thats not what I pictured in my head when you said Trike, more like this.....but if there was a cruiser trike, thats it. IMHO welcome aboard.
Likes For JehD:
Old 01-03-20, 04:02 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rhenning
A trike is a trike not a cruiser. Roger
I beg to differ the Schwinn Meridian and Town and Country are very Beach Cruiser-ish.
Likes For Sirrus Rider:
Old 01-03-20, 04:07 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Here is my 2007 Schwinn Town and Country.
Likes For Sirrus Rider:
Old 01-04-20, 08:26 AM
Dobermandi

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
OH great!
Thank goodness folks agree my new ride is a cruiser.
Yep, here in Florida these are appearing at the beaches.
As for me , I am 61 and gave problems with my arches and knees so I am determined to loose 50 pounds.... plan to pedal it off (along with eating less).
I also have no hearing in one ear so I have balance issues, due to not having equal hearing in both ears,I tend to displace sound.
It’s real weird, I think a sound is coming from the front of me, yet sound can be coming from a totally different direction.
Sooooooo my service dog, his name is Hoss, will be trotting beside me ....after Hoss is trained of course.
Hoss is a European Doberman!
There is an attachment called Biketowleash (trike package) that will attach to one of my trikes rear wheels.
Sounds so weird to say trike......so I am just going to call it a cruiser. There I feel better already! LOL
But of course with Hoss I will just cruise only in my neighborhood (little traffic) ....to ensure our safety.
Personally I am very excited, I think this is a bad buttocks bike! And we will be cruising real soon.
Anyway.....I will post picks real soon!
Thanks for the support!
Likes For Dobermandi:
Old 01-04-20, 08:54 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
Looking forward to the pictures and hearing more about your trike. With your hearing issues, a mirror of some sort (either bar end or helmet) might be good.
Old 01-04-20, 10:07 AM
Dobermandi

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Yup!
Me and the mister were just discussing mirror’s and reflectors.
Raining today in Florida, so nice mellow day to think about these types of things.
Idea’s are welcomed....
Oh, Hey, am I suppose to start a new thread any time I change the subject?
I suspect I will have many questions, yep many questions.
Old 01-04-20, 03:00 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Oh, Hey, am I suppose to start a new thread any time I change the subject?
I suspect I will have many questions, yep many questions.

IMHO the only place for this would be here in cruisers or in 50+. Though some might complain, I'm guessing no one has, especially since it has fat tires like that it looks pretty beach cruiseiry. (new word there) and about anything you do to it would be similar to the run of the mill cruiser. Bring it on.
Old 01-04-20, 05:50 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
Looks like it's going to be an excellent cruiser,...please keep posting in this thread. Pictures, thoughts, experiences. All is welcome,...
Old 01-04-20, 07:45 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Smile

OH great!
Thank goodness folks agree my new ride is a cruiser.
Yep, here in Florida these are appearing at the beaches.
As for me , I am 61 and gave problems with my arches and knees so I am determined to loose 50 pounds.... plan to pedal it off (along with eating less).
I also have no hearing in one ear so I have balance issues, due to not having equal hearing in both ears,I tend to displace sound.
It’s real weird, I think a sound is coming from the front of me, yet sound can be coming from a totally different direction.
Sooooooo my service dog, his name is Hoss, will be trotting beside me ....after Hoss is trained of course.
Hoss is a European Doberman!
There is an attachment called Biketowleash (trike package) that will attach to one of my trikes rear wheels.
Sounds so weird to say trike......so I am just going to call it a cruiser. There I feel better already! LOL
But of course with Hoss I will just cruise only in my neighborhood (little traffic) ....to ensure our safety.
Personally I am very excited, I think this is a bad buttocks bike! And we will be cruising real soon.
Anyway.....I will post picks real soon!
Thanks for the support!
No shame in calling it a trike it's the most accurate term. Or Cruiser trike.
Old 01-04-20, 10:31 PM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Thumbs up Three Wheel Adventures...

Welcome to bike forums, Dobermandi; I ride a three-wheeler. I also had difficulty naming my ride; when I was younger, I rode two-wheel bikes. The bi was for two wheels, but that has changed. Assembly manuals for both my Schwinn Meridian and Kent Monterey call them bicycles, bikes, trikes and tricycles not in any consistent order.

Back in 1991, I was hit by a car while riding a motorcycle. In 1995, I started riding a mountain bike to transition back to a motorcycle; I was successful; rode 36,000 miles, including club miles, but in 1999 crashed. Didn't ride again until 2016, when I was 48. Head injury stuff like electric body control damage progressed over the decades effecting two-wheel balance, so I started with an Adult Tricycle, the technical name for trikes like the Sun Baja. I test rode a standard Sun to try the optional internal gears. Sun makes nice trikes, but too expensive for my budget. For speed and less stress on the knees, recumbent trikes are the way to go. However, they sell for four times as much as a Sun, just for entry level. For now, I make due with budget friendly adult trikes.

* In 2016, I pedaled 1,852.73 miles on my first adult trike;

' in 2017, I pedaled 906.32 miles spanning my first adult trike, a 29er mountain bike I broke my hip on and had total hip replacement surgery that kept me off bikes for 6 long months, and my second adult trike;

* in 2018, I pedaled 4,569.46 miles between my second adult trike and my third adult trike, Schwinn Meridian - first name brand trike;

* in 2019, I pedaled 4,436.87 miles on my 3rd and 4th adult trikes: Schwinn Meridian and Kent Monterey.

All the miles are necessary, because I commute between Orange and Los Angeles Counties. In the forums, I optimize Bicycle Mechanics most; I don't have a budget for local bike shop repair and maintenance services, so I must do the required maintenance and repairs that keep my transportation rolling, and the Bicycle Mechanics are helpful in that regard. In fact, a few months before I joined, I was reading threads to assist with bike maintenance and repair that came up often in Google searches. When I joined, I called my trike a cycle, and thought of it as a cruiser. I live on the coast, so beach_cycle was a natural handle. Since I've been riding, most people call my wheels a bike, and occasional terms used include three-wheeler, trike, tricycle, and adult tricycle. I try not to get caught up in the names; rather, just enjoy the ride... and regular maintenance/repairs to keep rolling smooth!
Likes For beach_cycle:
Old 01-05-20, 07:24 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Originally Posted by beach_cycle
Welcome to bike forums, Dobermandi; I ride a three-wheeler. I also had difficulty naming my ride; when I was younger, I rode two-wheel bikes. The bi was for two wheels, but that has changed. Assembly manuals for both my Schwinn Meridian and Kent Monterey call them bicycles, bikes, trikes and tricycles not in any consistent order.

Back in 1991, I was hit by a car while riding a motorcycle. In 1995, I started riding a mountain bike to transition back to a motorcycle; I was successful; rode 36,000 miles, including club miles, but in 1999 crashed. Didn't ride again until 2016, when I was 48. Head injury stuff like electric body control damage progressed over the decades effecting two-wheel balance, so I started with an Adult Tricycle, the technical name for trikes like the Sun Baja. I test rode a standard Sun to try the optional internal gears. Sun makes nice trikes, but too expensive for my budget. For speed and less stress on the knees, recumbent trikes are the way to go. However, they sell for four times as much as a Sun, just for entry level. For now, I make due with budget friendly adult trikes.

* In 2016, I pedaled 1,852.73 miles on my first adult trike;

' in 2017, I pedaled 906.32 miles spanning my first adult trike, a 29er mountain bike I broke my hip on and had total hip replacement surgery that kept me off bikes for 6 long months, and my second adult trike;

* in 2018, I pedaled 4,569.46 miles between my second adult trike and my third adult trike, Schwinn Meridian - first name brand trike;

* in 2019, I pedaled 4,436.87 miles on my 3rd and 4th adult trikes: Schwinn Meridian and Kent Monterey.

All the miles are necessary, because I commute between Orange and Los Angeles Counties. In the forums, I optimize Bicycle Mechanics most; I don't have a budget for local bike shop repair and maintenance services, so I must do the required maintenance and repairs that keep my transportation rolling, and the Bicycle Mechanics are helpful in that regard. In fact, a few months before I joined, I was reading threads to assist with bike maintenance and repair that came up often in Google searches. When I joined, I called my trike a cycle, and thought of it as a cruiser. I live on the coast, so beach_cycle was a natural handle. Since I've been riding, most people call my wheels a bike, and occasional terms used include three-wheeler, trike, tricycle, and adult tricycle. I try not to get caught up in the names; rather, just enjoy the ride... and regular maintenance/repairs to keep rolling smooth!
Considering that all the manuals are originating in either Taiwan or China I wouldn't be surprised if they use the term Bicycles for all. For two reasons: It's cheaper to produce one manual to be used across the product line and in all likelihood to editors/writers of the manuals are non-native English speakers and aren't familiar with the difference in the prefixes of Bi and Tri, but are familiar with the noun bicycle.
Old 02-06-20, 03:26 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
My only thing against them is they usually only drive one wheel.
Old 08-24-21, 09:49 AM
laverty67

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm at odds with mine. Ive done everything possible save steering head and front axle bearings adjustment I'm told it was test ridden before shipment ( container not dinged).
I have a vicious pull to the left when I start pedaling. If I Flintstone with feet only or push it, it tracks just fine. Almost worth its own thread...
Old 08-25-21, 02:55 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Originally Posted by laverty67
I'm at odds with mine. Ive done everything possible save steering head and front axle bearings adjustment I'm told it was test ridden before shipment ( container not dinged).
I have a vicious pull to the left when I start pedaling. If I Flintstone with feet only or push it, it tracks just fine. Almost worth its own thread...
Isn't that something typical of trikes; they'll pull opposite side of the drive wheel pushing it that way?
Old 08-26-21, 10:21 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Hey, Jax Rhapsody I first I thought that that is not right, but then I thought back to one of the bike shops that I worked in had a number of trikes in for repairs and I had to put them outside each day we opened up and put them away each day when we closed shop. I got to ride a lot of these trikes.

I think you are right. Almost all of the non-Schwinn trikes were one wheel drive. And when you pedal them they don't go straight. The old Schwinn Town and Country had a differential. For me that meant that I could not ride it tipped up on two wheels like the other trikes. Whichever wheel left the ground, that is the wheel that the differential sent the power to, and that wheel would spin. I remember thinking that even though I didn't like the one wheel drive idea, that Schwinn, that seem to have spent far more money on their version of the trike, had essentially no-wheel drive. Why would they do that?

Perhaps it was to get the trike to track straight when your pedaled.

This makes sense now. If the wheel is pushing your trike forward and it is 16 inches from the center line of the bike, the bike is going to want to turn. If we turned it around and pretend to put a brake on only one rear wheel, the bike will again pull to the side with the brake when we slow down with the brake.

If we were to make a trike with a solid rear axle, we would not have this problem when going straight, but we would have problems when turning because our inside wheel will want to turn less than our outside wheel.

Wow, the design trade-offs of a trike rear axle.
Old 08-27-21, 05:13 PM
laverty67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
Isn't that something typical of trikes; they'll pull opposite side of the drive wheel pushing it that way?
Countersteering has no effect. Not rideable. I had to put it on jackstands to test the derailleur. I'll be home on Monday and start over.
Old 08-27-21, 05:23 PM
laverty67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Hey, Jax Rhapsody I first I thought that that is not right, but then I thought back to one of the bike shops that I worked in had a number of trikes in for repairs and I had to put them outside each day we opened up and put them away each day when we closed shop. I got to ride a lot of these trikes.

I think you are right. Almost all of the non-Schwinn trikes were one wheel drive. And when you pedal them they don't go straight. The old Schwinn Town and Country had a differential. For me that meant that I could not ride it tipped up on two wheels like the other trikes. Whichever wheel left the ground, that is the wheel that the differential sent the power to, and that wheel would spin. I remember thinking that even though I didn't like the one wheel drive idea, that Schwinn, that seem to have spent far more money on their version of the trike, had essentially no-wheel drive. Why would they do that?

This makes sense now. If the wheel is pushing your trike forward and it is 16 inches from the center line of the bike, the bike is going to want to turn. If we turned it around and pretend to put a brake on only one rear wheel, the bike will again pull to the side with the brake when we slow down with the brake.

If we were to make a trike with a solid rear axle, we would not have this problem when going straight, but we would have problems when turning because our inside wheel will want to turn less than our outside wheel.

So the only trike with normal attributes is the tadpole. Ouch.
Old 08-27-21, 09:46 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Originally Posted by laverty67
So the only trike with normal attributes is the tadpole. Ouch.
Well, maybe, but maybe not. Perhaps we need more input than the likes of me that is remembering back 40 years ago and doing some mental visualizing.

Someone that has been riding a trike like yours regularly,

Wait, you called up the company who's name is on the bike and they didn't say anything when you told them it pulled so much you couldn't ride it?

I like the Catrike, however, I would not ride that on the road since it is low and cars may not see me. On a path, heck yea. And it cost too much. And one of the points of getting a three wheeler is that it is a pedal powered pickup truck. But a Catrike doen't have that much grocery room. Perhaps more than a regular bike though.
Old 08-31-21, 07:54 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by Velo Mule

I never liked single wheel drive trikes. What you were experiencing with that T&C is an open diff, like a car. An open diff drives both wheels until one loses traction- all the power goes to that wheel. I had a Columbia that had a Peerless(gokart) axle, and it was an open diff. I had a lil project in mind for it, and it got stolen. It had a mid drive, too, that I suspected was just a coaster brake, or a 3speed coaster. guy at the co-op has a worksman trike, and that thing is 2wd. One wheel spun faster than the other, so I'm guessing somehow it has some type of open diff setup in the axleshafts.

I wouldn't mind having a trike to pull this bike trailer I am trying to build.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.