Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

A simple little project of mine...

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Old 02-06-20, 03:58 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts

I always wanted one of these when they came out, thinking they were a modernized version of the decades old cantilever frame, the anodized colors, lightwieght aluminum, annnnddd 3pc crank(!). This one was my stepdads, who died last year and it's my favorite color. It has the seat, single speed, cockpit from the ratrod I was building until it fell off the front of a bus. I lucked up because the back wheel was the same as the front with the rim design and black hub.

The only thing left to do is mount up the front brake. I need a bigger crank and ditch the chaingaurd. I want to red the hell out of it and black what can't be, since some stuff is black. I also have a spaded fork from a mtb to put on it, which matches the frame better than the modern style fork that it came with. I'm on the fence about the fenders

As far as the ratrod; it has the LaJollacoaster brake wheel on it, some random tire set and bars and seat, it's original fork, so I can sell it. The frame is actually fine, at the time I got it because it was black and made peace with the built in rack... which is all the excuse I need to get rid of it because I hate the rack. With the reembursment from the bus company, I'm going to be making amother ratrod with my DB Drifter1, that will be everything I wanted it to be.
Old 02-06-20, 09:32 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
i have one of these. have you noticed even though the frame is aluminum, all the other parts are steel (especially the crank set. it weighs a ton)? i made mine my cheap weight weenie project.and replace steel parts with aluminum as i luck across them.
Old 02-08-20, 07:07 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Originally Posted by Philphine
i have one of these. have you noticed even though the frame is aluminum, all the other parts are steel (especially the crank set. it weighs a ton)? i made mine my cheap weight weenie project.and replace steel parts with aluminum as i luck across them.
Yeah, that's a walmart bike for you. Well correction; that's Pacific Bike Co for you. They tend to use the same parts across all their marques. Like that front fork. I don't get how those became the cheapo standard, spaded forks look so much better. That's the same crank usef on various cruisers for years. Remember that Eddie Bauer me and a few other people where trying to put together at the co-op that one time?
I'll be doing the same with it, ever find a non steel alternative fork for it? I'll eventually add a sealed BB to it, I think those are worth the added wieght.
Old 02-10-20, 09:38 AM
Philphine

i haven't lucked across an aluminum fork. no aluminum bike i've seen has one, no cheap one anyway. haven't been by the co-op either since maybe last year. need to get back. i used to rummage through the parts off and on, but never saw an aluminum fork come up.
Old 02-10-20, 10:31 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Kinesis made Al forks, and my wife has one on her very light rigid bike, but it's 1&1/8" threadless; I've never seem a 1" and/or threaded Al fork either.

Edit: Perhaps some road forks have been Al.

Last edited by 2old; 02-10-20 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-14-20, 12:25 AM
Unapomer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Here's one modified to be a coaster brake only mtb racer, as seen at the Coaster Brake Challenge. A light and fast bike!!

Likes For Unapomer:
Old 02-14-20, 12:27 AM
Unapomer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
A few of the rear wheel mods:

Homemade heatsink to cool the rear hub on long descents, notice that the high-temp grease has started to boil out despite the heatsink

Last edited by Unapomer; 02-14-20 at 12:34 AM.
Likes For Unapomer:
Old 02-14-20, 09:48 AM
Philphine

Originally Posted by Unapomer
Here's one modified to be a coaster brake only mtb racer, as seen at the Coaster Brake Challenge. A light and fast bike!!

yeah, this is what i'm thinking. not get too crazy about it, just luck into parts and see what i end up with.
Old 03-04-20, 11:07 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by Unapomer
A few of the rear wheel mods:

Homemade heatsink to cool the rear hub on long descents, notice that the high-temp grease has started to boil out despite the heatsink

That's all pretty cool. Never thought about a heatsink for a coaster brake. I like those wheelstays too. Odd though, mine has a built in coaster torque arm mount.
Old 03-04-20, 11:14 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by 2old
Kinesis made Al forks, and my wife has one on her very light rigid bike, but it's 1&1/8" threadless; I've never seem a 1" and/or threaded Al fork either.

Edit: Perhaps some road forks have been Al.
Well it's a nice bike, but not carbon nice, I guess I'll need to find a nice spaded fork. I don't know why they stopped using those on bikes.

I speak on this bike a bit here.