Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cleaning Purist MoFlo Valve/Nozzle

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 01:01 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

Just cleaning up a clear cap and noticed something I can't see on the opaque caps (I mostly use the opaque caps and been blind to this trapped sand/dirt). I do a lot of wet gravel endurance rides*, bottles look like hell and I had no idea how bad the nozzles were suffering. Any cleaning advice? Or just toss & replace?

* reference photos from 2017 Almanzo:

Photo credit - David Phillips / Spring Valley Tribune

Old 05-29-19, 01:12 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 472 Posts
Yeah mine get funky also! If you look at the black plastic bite piece from inside the cap you'll see formed "wedges" that engage with the plastic bottle cap. You can push in the wedges and pop off the bite piece.

I did this to two bottles, one's been fine the other has started leaking.
Old 05-29-19, 01:52 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Yeah mine get funky also! If you look at the black plastic bite piece from inside the cap you'll see formed "wedges" that engage with the plastic bottle cap. You can push in the wedges and pop off the bite piece.

I did this to two bottles, one's been fine the other has started leaking.
Thanks!

I was trying to pop the plastic cap, but wasn't having any luck. I give this another try, see if I can find a better tool. I figure it's 'kill or cure' time.
Old 05-30-19, 11:48 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
I'd urge you to get a bottle that has a valve cover. I got really sick from a contaminated water bottle years ago during a rainy, multi-day dirt road and railtrail tour and it was horrible. I like the Camelback mudcap best, and similar, and the Nalgene ATB bottle. (the fliptops on the Nalgene's are a bit fragile) I'm sure there are others out there too.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/bottles/...c85bb14ffe0519

https://www.nalgene.com/product/2590-6022/
Old 05-31-19, 07:15 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Update: broke two MoFlo lids trying to remove the poppet. Based on this image, I think I need the WaterGate lids to remove the poppet - the MoFlo doesn't appear to have a removable poppet (these lids are all options for the Purist bottles).

Looks like new bottle time (& more focus on the cap/valve design)

I don't hate the idea of a cover for the bottles. I've thought a lot about the manure, pesticides, herbicides, and everything else that ends up on a gravel road - all that ends up in your lungs, gut, eyes, sinus, and EVERY.OTHER.ORIFICE. IMHO, that craps gonna end up in your system one way or another - it's just one of joys of gravel. I typically, jet the bottle to the side first to clear the valve, then spray water into mouth without putting lips on the nozzle.
Old 02-17-20, 11:14 PM
chrstphrsnsn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I noticed the same thing on a couple clear caps and went down the internet rabbit hole trying to find an answer. No luck either but this was the newest and most relevant thread I found. I tried the same thing with trying to force the poppet off and tore it, but got it off and was able to see how it was held on. I'm assuming Specialized has a special tool to depress the 4 rubber tabs that keep it on the cap and proceeded to rummage through my garage looking for something that would do the same thing. I ended up at a 1/2 in. drive socket extension. IT WORKS!
  1. Get the inside of the poppet and cap wet (it made the poppet come off super easy compared to doing it dry)
  2. Jam the edges of the extension into the back side of the cap so the corners (not the flat edges) are against each of the rubber tabs.
  3. Get the extension wedged in as far as it will go without pushing the poppet up.
  4. Keeping pressure on the extension, wiggle the poppet up and off!
  5. I used a zip tie with paper towel wrapped around the end to get down inside the lip of the cap and a pipe cleaner to clean out the poppet
  6. Once it's clean and dry just line up the poppet tabs and the holes in the cap and push it on.
  7. Good as new.
I've done all of mine now and none of them leak except for the first one that I tore and threw away.

WELL THERE WERE 10 LOVELY PICTURES TO GO ALONG WITH THE STEPS OUTLINED ABOVE BUT YOUR WONDERFUL FORUM REQUIRES THAT I HAVE 10 POSTS BEFORE I CAN ADD IMAGES... TOOK THE TIME TO READ THE REQUIREMENTS AND TRIED TO SAY HI TO 10 PEOPLE IN THE INTRODUCTIONS SECTION BUT GOT THE MESSAGE THAT I CAN ONLY POST ONCE EVERY 2 MINUTES... NOT SURE IF I HAVE THE PATIENTS TO SPEND THAT LONG WAITING TO SAY HI TO PEOPLE JUST SO I CAN GIVE YOU SOME PICTURES... ARG, SO FRUSTRATING. 3 HELLOS DOWN, 7 MORE TO GO......... Okay, I did it 10 post down and now I can share the pictures...

1/2 inch drive extension

Poppet is closed

Align the edges of the extension with the poppet tabs

poppet tabs can get stuck on the cap if you don't get the extension far enough in

Poppet is out

This is how far in the extension needs to go with the poppet closed

These things are dirty...

Successfully disassembled and cleaned all of these

This one is a bonus and something I've been doing for a while. If you put your bottles in the dishwasher and the opening gets deformed, they leak because they seal, plastic to plastic. I use an office style rubber band (the ones that are square) as an o-ring in the cap and they don't leak anymore. When you screw the caps on they don't go down all the way though (thickness of the rubber band), but they don't leak.

Deformed bottle opening

Rubber band as a seal.
Likes For chrstphrsnsn:
Old 09-27-21, 11:28 AM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
@chrstphrsnsn thanks for the awesome description and very detailed images. This saved me!!
Old 09-27-21, 11:47 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by chrstphrsnsn
ARG, SO FRUSTRATING. 3 HELLOS DOWN, 7 MORE TO GO......... Okay, I did it 10 post down and now I can share the pictures...

Your commitment has been noted, well worth it too. Thanks for the detailed explanations! 🙂
Old 09-28-21, 06:05 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Update: broke two MoFlo lids trying to remove the poppet. Based on this image, I think I need the WaterGate lids to remove the poppet - the MoFlo doesn't appear to have a removable poppet (these lids are all options for the Purist bottles).

Looks like new bottle time (& more focus on the cap/valve design)

I don't hate the idea of a cover for the bottles. I've thought a lot about the manure, pesticides, herbicides, and everything else that ends up on a gravel road - all that ends up in your lungs, gut, eyes, sinus, and EVERY.OTHER.ORIFICE. IMHO, that craps gonna end up in your system one way or another - it's just one of joys of gravel. I typically, jet the bottle to the side first to clear the valve, then spray water into mouth without putting lips on the nozzle.
I got a few bottles with the Watergate caps this season, and they are terrible. Highly not recommended. The water comes out ok, but they don't let air back in very easily so you have to wait for an annoyingly long time or you can't put your deformed bottle back in the cage. For gravel or rainy rides I use the nalgene bottles with cap covers
Likes For kingston:
Old 09-30-21, 10:53 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Cool that this thread got bumped... I was just thinking about whether that valve could be popped out somehow. Thank you chrstphrsnsn , wherever you are!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498