Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Afraid of outside riding

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Afraid of outside riding

Old 02-17-20, 07:30 PM
yukiinu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Learn how to keep your head on a swivel with virtual bicycling.

Get a stationary bike for under $200 and watch virtual bicycle rides or even walking tours on YouTube and the internet and concentrate on being constantly aware of the traffic, road conditions and pedestrians and what is going on around you as you pedal on your bike trip. After enough time traveling through your imaginary trip you will develope bicycle survival skills and have more confidence and less fear when you ride in real life.
Old 02-18-20, 05:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by yukiinu
Get a stationary bike for under $200 and watch virtual bicycle rides or even walking tours on YouTube and the internet and concentrate on being constantly aware of the traffic, road conditions and pedestrians and what is going on around you as you pedal on your bike trip. After enough time traveling through your imaginary trip you will develope bicycle survival skills and have more confidence and less fear when you ride in real life.

Nonsense. Real bike handling skills involve keeping the bike upright while avoiding obstacles and/or keeping it under control when you fail to avoid one. You aren't going to learn how to recover from hitting a pothole or turning on an unanticipated patch of sand sitting at home.

This thread is getting ridiculous without the op explaining what he/she is actually trying to do.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-18-20, 11:17 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Nonsense. Real bike handling skills involve keeping the bike upright while avoiding obstacles and/or keeping it under control when you fail to avoid one. You aren't going to learn how to recover from hitting a pothole or turning on an unanticipated patch of sand sitting at home.

This thread is getting ridiculous without the op explaining what he/she is actually trying to do.
From the lack of any follow-up by the OP I'd guess that the OP has no interest in this thread or any of the others they started/posted in.

Cheers
Old 02-18-20, 11:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Miele Man
From the lack of any follow-up by the OP I'd guess that the OP has no interest in this thread or any of the others they started/posted in.

Cheers

Maybe they're running an indoor social interaction simulator and it just generates discussion topics.
Old 02-18-20, 11:26 AM
TommyTwoTone

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29,Giant Sedona, Schwinn Sting Ray.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by laychris
I have a fear of riding outside. Plus I'm a beginer and my riding skills are poor.
Is that a normal idea to try riding the spinning bike?
In order to do it at home.
I'm looking for ways I could do my riding skills better without riding outside...
That may be a little weird, but I have such fears since my childhood. But I'm really interested in bikes and want to try
My wife suffered as well with fear, it took a long time working with her so that she was comfortable riding on gentle bike paths, and we never went out in traffic or had to cross streets as most of our rides went over or under the streets, things were going just peachy and she was learning and gaining a little confidence until one day a deer jumped out in front of her from some bushes on the side of the trail, startled her and she lost control of the bike and fell down, slightly skinning a knee and an elbow and making her hyperventilate and scared her senseless. That set her back forever I think. I ride by myself now, but if you don't find riding a bike enjoyable or can't ride without fear and are willing to accept a slight risk of toppling over then it becomes like work, and who wants another job?
Old 02-18-20, 11:40 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Yes bike handling skills and situational awareness will come from outdoor experience....but if you want to work on your mechanics you cannot beat rollers for indoor riding. Yep I said riding because that's what you will be doing.
Old 02-18-20, 12:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by jadocs
Yes bike handling skills and situational awareness will come from outdoor experience....but if you want to work on your mechanics you cannot beat rollers for indoor riding. Yep I said riding because that's what you will be doing.

In other words, it's great for training the engine, not so much for training the driver.
Old 02-18-20, 12:09 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

Real bike skills involve paying attention to and learning to understand traffic and motorist behavior too. This thread has been ridiculous since the first post.

I am glad it has been cloudy for the past week. I am getting in some good miles.
Old 02-18-20, 12:31 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Being afraid of "outside riding" is akin to being afraid of "outside fishing". Sure, you can fake it inside, but you must either overcome your fears, or pick another thing to not fully enjoy.
Old 02-18-20, 03:19 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Still no activity anywhere by the OP since the 11th of February when he made his 11 posts. Hmm, is that 11 and 11 coincidence? Maybe not.

Cheers
Old 02-18-20, 05:35 PM
Gods lonely man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Still no activity anywhere by the OP since the 11th of February when he made his 11 posts. Hmm, is that 11 and 11 coincidence? Maybe not.

Cheers
He grew a pair and now ​he is out there, living his best life on the two wheels.