Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thinking About Trying This As A Commuter. Thoughts?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-20, 07:30 PM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts

I can get this for $125. Part of my commute is hilly. Will the gearing be a problem?
https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/bik/7072309465.html

Last edited by LifeNovice1; 02-15-20 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 02-15-20, 08:15 PM
Unapomer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by LifeNovice1
I can get this for $125. Part of my commute is hilly. Will the gearing be a problem?
Yes.....
Old 02-15-20, 09:45 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
...what happened to the last half a dozen bikes you asked us about?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-16-20, 06:56 AM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Don't know which half dozen you are referring to. RightNow I'm riding a Breezer Downtown EX that I got for $70. I like it but after putting only a couple hundred miles on it it's already starting to deteriorate. I like the simplicity of one derailleur though and thought maybe I'd like to try a single speed type bike. I have 3 hills to climb on my commute though. Hence the gearing question.
Old 02-16-20, 10:32 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
What is deteriorating on the Breezer? It's by no means a high spec bike but I see no reason it should not be reliable with reasonable maintenance.

I don't know what your hills are like but personally I would not have a single speed bike. If it's geared for the hills, it won't be efficient on the flats and if geared for flat terrain, you'll struggle on the hills.
Old 02-16-20, 10:37 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Sounds like you may want to post in the mechanics forum to get some advice on fixing the bike up or go by the local bike co op.

It has a facebook page,

https://www.facebook.com/resourcebikecoop/
Old 02-16-20, 10:42 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
I wouldn't, but I'm not you.

Put your Breezer in the closest gearing to what the fixie has, leave it there, and see how you do. Oh yeah, no coasting either.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 02-16-20, 11:39 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
This: https://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes/t...wn-7-step-over ?

That looks like a really solid commuter, and it is pretty simple. Not much there which could "deteriorate."

I sup-pose if someone put sand in the oil port in the rear hub or something ..... otherwise, what's wrong with it?

If it is just in need of basic maintenance ... Any bike you buy will need that, and if you ride it and ignore it, Every bike will "deteriorate."

If I owned that Breezer, I would change brake pads, chain, and cables, clean, lube and adjust headset and (if applicable) wheel bearings, clean and lube the bottom bracket, and essentially have a new bike. After all it is made of steel .... it isn't going to wear out much.

Even if the hub is shot, I see them online for $170, which is not much more than the cost of your new bike .... but trust me, a fixed-gear bike is Not a casual commuter's ride. You Want gears. As a longtime commuter, I speak with some knowledge. Some days those hills will look Huge, your legs will feel like taffy, and you still have to get to work--and it's only Thursday, so you have to do it again tomorrow. You Want gearing.

Also with a fixed-gear setup, you can never stop pedaling ... you have to move your feet as fast as the bike goes. So, uphill you will be struggling, and downhill the pedals will b spinning so fast you can't keep up. And you can never coast. Your legs hurt, pull over and park. otherwise, spin away like a mad person.

If you are really fit and really like the fixie way of life, you could do it---people can do almost anything. But most people would Not enjoy it ... which means you could buy this bike and regret it until you bought another one.

If you want a bike with a single derailleur, there are plenty of 1X set-ups out there--I front ring and seven or eight rear cogs as a rule, which work very well for commuting, offering a wide range of gears and also simplicity.

Seriously, though, you won't beat that Breezer for casual commuting. The enclosed chain,.internal geared hub, full-fender set-up is ideal for all-weather easy riding. If you can explain How it is "deteriorating, as someone suggested above, you could probably get it remade into new condition for less than the cost of a good new bike .... and it seems perfect for the type of riding you describe.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-16-20, 11:45 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned about the hills with that gearing, especially if you used the 30/21 configuration. There's a lot to be said for using a fixed gear for commuting.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 02-16-20, 12:28 PM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Thanks for all of the replies. Probably just keep the Breezer. The "deterioration" I was referring to is mostly cosmetic, but even that doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the longevity. In the past few weeks the wrap on the handlebars has come loose so I had to fix with electrical tape, one of the end caps on the handlebars popped out, no idea where it went, one of the bolts holding the front fender vibrated loose and fell out. But yah it still goes and stops and turns so it's all good.

Just FYI. This is an Ex model. No hub gears just regular 1x8 Shimano Altus. I forget what the front is but I'm sure someone will look it up. I can't remember if it's 38 or 42. It actually is just low enough for my out of shape ass to get up a particularly steep 100 yard climb. Rest of my commute is more gradual 1/4 my mile rises.

I only paid $75 for it so I'll just ride it as is. It even came with a center stand although I may just sell it.
Old 02-16-20, 12:36 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
It looks like a very reliable setup, but I wouldn't enjoy commuting on a fixed gear. And with the hills and changes in terrain in Colorado Springs, I'd spend half my time stopped and changing the gears...and that would be messy.

Also my 58-year-old knees and hips may not be up to a fixed gear.

On the other hand, at least it has hand brakes.

If you can afford it, and it would not be your only bike, I think it would be fun to try to commute on it occasionally.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 02-16-20, 12:43 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
You could find out if fixed gearing is for you. Just ride your geared bike in a gear that approximates the ratio of the fixed gear and DON'T shift the entire ride.
Old 02-16-20, 01:51 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies. Probably just keep the Breezer. The "deterioration" I was referring to is mostly cosmetic, but even that doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the longevity. In the past few weeks the wrap on the handlebars has come loose so I had to fix with electrical tape, one of the end caps on the handlebars popped out, no idea where it went, one of the bolts holding the front fender vibrated loose and fell out. But yah it still goes and stops and turns so it's all good.

Just FYI. This is an Ex model. No hub gears just regular 1x8 Shimano Altus. I forget what the front is but I'm sure someone will look it up. I can't remember if it's 38 or 42. It actually is just low enough for my out of shape ass to get up a particularly steep 100 yard climb. Rest of my commute is more gradual 1/4 my mile rises.

I only paid $75 for it so I'll just ride it as is. It even came with a center stand although I may just sell it.
Your 'deterioration' complaints are of the kind normally prevented or repaired with a little maintenance. Use blue Loctite when replacing that fender bolt, and while you're at it, go over any other hardware that might work loose. Handgrips just plain wear out and need replaced at some point. Clean and oil the chain now and then.

Sounds to me like you're just tired of the same-old and itching for something different. You've already said you can climb the hills with it that you need to. Keep it. And I agree with the others who've suggested you get a feel for fixie riding by just staying in one gear (and spin like mad on downhills).
Old 02-16-20, 02:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
30x21 is 37.5 gear inches. Everybody's different, but that's pretty low.
Old 02-16-20, 02:29 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Don't know which half dozen you are referring to. RightNow I'm riding a Breezer Downtown EX that I got for $70. I like it but after putting only a couple hundred miles on it it's already starting to deteriorate.
In two years you’ve posted that you have a Schwinn, two Diamondbacks, a Novara, a carbon fiber Fuji, a Specialized Sirrus, and now this Breezer. You asked our opinions on about 12 more. I think you are probably capable of developing your own opinions about old bikes.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-16-20 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-16-20, 02:56 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Try a double chainring and front derailleur. That's what Bike Blogger on YouTube did with one of his single speeds. Might resolve issues with a few hills, especially on days when the legs aren't cooperating.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 02-16-20, 04:35 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
If you don't maintain Anything it will fall apart. most riders I know check things regularly for rattles and shakes, (I check before every ride) because tightening a loose bolt is better than having a part fly off in the middle of a ride.

That's great. An external rear derailleur is much simpler to maintain and/or replace (not that you should ever need to.)

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
In two years you’ve posted that you have a Schwinn, two Diamondbacks, a Novara, a carbon fiber Fuji, a Specialized Sirrus, and now this Breezer. You asked our opinions on about 12 more. I think you are probably capable of developing your own opinions about old bikes.
If you have had that many bikes in that short a time … you don’t need much help.

Enjoy the ride.

What happened to the Novarra? (https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...rra-forza.html)

Last edited by Maelochs; 02-16-20 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-18-20, 07:46 PM
KiwiAmerican
KiwiAmerican

Bikes: 1993 Specialized RockHopper Comp. 1992 KHS Montaña Pro. 2018 Cannondale CAAD 12. Raleigh Seneca Mnt Tour.1987 Nishiki Prestige. 1993 GT Karakoram.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts
Agreed. I'm in NE Oklahoma and that ratio works great for most my commuting needs.