Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing freewheel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Removing freewheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-20, 10:54 AM
Retfor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Removing freewheel

I'm trying to remove this freewheel as it's blocking a spoke that needs replacing. I think I have the right tool and I watched videos online of how to do it. Seems simple enough, insert tool, use wrench to turn. But when I turn the tool, the freewheel spins instead of coming off. Is it maybe not actually the right tool and not fitting right? It only goes in about a 1/4 inch, should it be going in more? Suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 02-20-20, 10:55 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
It is a cassette, not a freewheel. You need a chain whip to keep the cassette from turning
Old 02-20-20, 10:58 AM
Retfor

Originally Posted by alcjphil
It is a cassette, not a freewheel. You need a chain whip to keep the cassette from turning
Ah, ok. Right tool, though? I shouldn't expect it to go in more or fit more snug?

Thanks.
Old 02-20-20, 11:19 AM
alcjphil

Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Retfor
Ah, ok. Right tool, though? I shouldn't expect it to go in more or fit more snug?

Thanks.
Hard to see it well, but that appears to be a freewheel removal tool, not a lockring tool

​​​​​​https://www.parktool.com/product/cas...ng-tool-fr-5-2
Old 02-20-20, 11:22 AM
Retfor

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Hard to see it well, but that appears to be a freewheel removal tool, not a lockring tool

​​​​​​https://www.parktool.com/product/cas...ng-tool-fr-5-2
Ah, ok. Yeah, that'd make sense why it doesn't fit perfectly. It is a freewheel tool...

Thanks.
Old 02-20-20, 02:33 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Ah, ok. Yeah, that'd make sense why it doesn't fit perfectly. It is a freewheel tool...

Thanks.
With a chain-whip your freewheel removal tool MIGHT work. I've removed many Shimano cassette lockrings with my FREEWHEEL removal tool.

You can use a scrap length of bicycle chain clamped into a vise-grip pliers to hold the cog whilst using the cassette lockring or freewheel removal tool. The wrench on the tool is on the left as you face the wheel and you push down on the wrench whilst keeping the chain on a cog to prevent the freehub from turning.

Cheers
Old 02-20-20, 09:29 PM
Retfor

Originally Posted by Miele Man
With a chain-whip your freewheel removal tool MIGHT work. I've removed many Shimano cassette lockrings with my FREEWHEEL removal tool.

You can use a scrap length of bicycle chain clamped into a vise-grip pliers to hold the cog whilst using the cassette lockring or freewheel removal tool. The wrench on the tool is on the left as you face the wheel and you push down on the wrench whilst keeping the chain on a cog to prevent the freehub from turning.

Cheers
Good idea, I'll give that a try, thanks.
Old 02-20-20, 11:53 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 376 Posts

Thanks.
The spline pattern is identical, it just doesn't insert as far. I've used a Shimano freewheel tool on cassette lockrings since they were introduced in the '90's.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..