Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern Link - Catastrophic failure of Frame Hinge Bolt

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Tern Link - Catastrophic failure of Frame Hinge Bolt

Old 08-07-17, 06:11 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Bickerton
Hi Alex,
I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed in your Tern bike and the service you have had.
If you think I can be of any help please email me directly and I will do what I can.
My email is "mark . bickerton @ ternbicycles . com" (no spaces)
Thanks
Mark Bickerton
UK Representation for Tern Bicycles
Mark, this isn't the first time you have stepped up to the plate to make things right and I have to say I am impressed. We need more people like you in this business.
Old 08-07-17, 06:40 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Mark, this isn't the first time you have stepped up to the plate to make things right and I have to say I am impressed. We need more people like you in this business.
Stepped up to the plate? So this situation is ok???

I would disagree, none of this is ok. Please understand this user is unable to post to Tern forums because the frame failure thread is heavily moderated. He may not even know about the Tern thread since it has been buried.

Using the evidence on Tern's site ( the number of different failures ) & some basic statistics it is easy to conclude that this is not the last frame failure.

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 08-07-17, 07:18 AM
Mark Bickerton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Blakcloud!
Stepping up to the plate is part of the job.
Everyone at Tern is dedicated to making great bikes and when it goes wrong (and it sometimes does) the best course of action for everybody to try to get it sorted out as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Normally the supply chain is the best route, but when for some reason that does not work, then it is important in my book to have a direct route to the company.
We are all consumers as well as staff at Tern.... we feel for our customers when it doesn't work out. We aren't part of an evil empire, as anyone who deals with us knows.
I was brought up to believe in old fashioned service.... it is not so easy to find these days, but I am here and ready when needed for our customers.
Yan, Mr Downtube.... the bee in your bonnet seems a little overly buzzing.
If you have a problem you are welcome to bring it to me directly rather than through a public forum where it appears your first priority is get one over on the competition.
Apologies if this is too harsh, but from my perspective that is what it looks like.

Mark
Old 08-07-17, 07:47 AM
downtube

Mark,

My apologies....thanks for stepping up! Can you answer a few questions:
1. Why has the Tern forum frame failure thread closed to new discussion for over a year. Also many images were removed. Is there a reason for that?
2. How many frame failures occurred so far? How many from each frame style?
3. What was the fault in the frames?
4. How did Tern decide what to recall? It seems the failures stemmed almost every frame in the lineup ( by reading online ) & the CPSC lists two different factories of production in each of the first two recalls.
5. How many more failures do you anticipate? Over what kind of time horizon?
6. Does Tern have a response to the Japanese government's evaluation of a broken frame? I recall they claimed that it was not strong enough to be used as a bicycle. Am I missing something here?

In order to actually step up, these questions need to be answered. However, I don't expect too much of a response. Actually I can see you playing a victim role here.....since the bee in my bonnet is buzzing

Thanks,
Yan
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.

Last edited by downtube; 08-07-17 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-07-17, 08:50 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Even better, much better, would be for the bikes to not break in half in the first place so this guy wouldn't have to 'step up to the plate' at all.

Lapdogs...this channel is full of them. The Brompton lapdogs, the BF lapdogs, the Tern lapdogs. Lapdogs.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-08-17 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-07-17, 10:03 AM
audioforma

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hinge bolt

Hello. I have a Tern Link Uno. The lower bolt from the mainframe hinge has just fallen out. On examination it appears that the threaded part has snapped remaining in the frame so the other part just fell out as it had nothing to hold it there. Any suggestions please? I bought this bike second hand but hardly used and like new. Second one I have as my misses now has the other which has no issues. Thanks.
Old 08-07-17, 10:25 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
And you think these Tern jobs...

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I think when you're pushing the envelope of performance...it is normal to have frame failures every now and then.

You could play it safe...and keep things heavy and slow to avoid frame failure...but then there's no progress.
are 'pushing the envelope of performance'?
Old 08-08-17, 01:57 AM
EdEllis

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tern Support

Guys
once Mark and his team got involved, the support given was great. Took a little while to resolve my problem, but Mark and Amanda(in Taiwan) sorted it.

ed
Old 08-08-17, 05:17 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I think when you're pushing the envelope of performance...it is normal to have frame failures every now and then.
Uh, it's not like these are 7kg bikes. In fact, most of them are far beefier than a Bickerton folder of 50 years ago.
Old 08-08-17, 05:26 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
If you have a problem you are welcome to bring it to me directly rather than through a public forum where it appears your first priority is get one over on the competition.
Mr. Bickerton,

I wonder if you might comment on the frivolous lawsuits Tern filled on Downtube in American courts?

Thanks!

Last edited by tcs; 08-08-17 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-08-17, 05:38 AM
Mark Bickerton

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi TCS,
I know nothing of any law suits against DownTube, frivolous or otherwise.
I do know that Tern will defend its IP where necessary.
And as far as i am concerned, I do not set myself up as a target for such an exchange on a forum.
By all means contact me directly about any concerns you have.
You know my contact details.
"mark . bickerton @ ternbicycles . com" (no spaces)
Mark
Old 08-08-17, 06:29 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
Mark,

My apologies....thanks for stepping up! Can you answer a few questions:
1. Why has the Tern forum frame failure thread closed to new discussion for over a year. Also many images were removed. Is there a reason for that?
2. How many frame failures occurred so far? How many from each frame style?
3. What was the fault in the frames?
4. How did Tern decide what to recall? It seems the failures stemmed almost every frame in the lineup ( by reading online ) & the CPSC lists two different factories of production in each of the first two recalls.
5. How many more failures do you anticipate? Over what kind of time horizon?
6. Does Tern have a response to the Japanese government's evaluation of a broken frame? I recall they claimed that it was not strong enough to be used as a bicycle. Am I missing something here?

In order to actually step up, these questions need to be answered. However, I don't expect too much of a response. Actually I can see you playing a victim role here.....since the bee in my bonnet is buzzing

Thanks,
Yan
Wow, if the Japanese stated that, that is pretty damning. The average weight of a japanese man is 150lb's but an american is about 200lbs. Is there a link for that japanese tern information?

Sometimes the difference between a performance frame and a more durable frame is less than 1/2kg often less than 1/4kg and the overall weight loss of a performance bike is also in the components being lighter, wheels, handlebars, drivetrain etc. Being able to claim you have the lightest bike does sell bikes no question but a bit like anorexia its not healthy some people may die or be injured because of it.

Also a bike that might be 1kg lighter than the competition at that price point is insignificant if the rider himself needs to lose a lot of weight anyway. Far more important to get a reliable bike with good components with a strong frame that you don't have to worry about. 1kg heavier bike, 1kg of body weight lost quicker.
Old 08-08-17, 07:05 AM
downtube

I recall someone posted the article in one of the forums. It is in Japanese, but google translates. I am busy most of the day, but will try to find it tonight.

Thanks,
Yan
Old 08-08-17, 08:22 AM
residuenyc

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EdEllis
Guys
once Mark and his team got involved, the support given was great. Took a little while to resolve my problem, but Mark and Amanda(in Taiwan) sorted it.

ed
Can I ask how your situation was resolved?

Edit-
Nevermind. I see they replaced the frame. Got your post confused with the other more recent reports.

Last edited by residuenyc; 08-08-17 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-08-17, 09:56 AM
Mtroup

Bikes: Jones Plus, Tern Verge Tour

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a new Tern owner, I find it valuable to have a Tern rep visiting these forums. He stepped up to resolve a problem to the customer's satisfaction, and is harassed and baited for his attention. If for some unfathomable reason, you need to hate on a company (a company of which you are clearly not even a customer), maybe you could at least pretend to be civil, or better yet, ignore the thread, so that us actual customers can benefit from the rep's presence on the forum. Thanks.
Old 08-08-17, 08:10 PM
wesgreen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
Thank you Blakcloud!
Stepping up to the plate is part of the job.
Everyone at Tern is dedicated to making great bikes and when it goes wrong (and it sometimes does) the best course of action for everybody to try to get it sorted out as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Normally the supply chain is the best route, but when for some reason that does not work, then it is important in my book to have a direct route to the company.
We are all consumers as well as staff at Tern.... we feel for our customers when it doesn't work out. We aren't part of an evil empire, as anyone who deals with us knows.
I was brought up to believe in old fashioned service.... it is not so easy to find these days, but I am here and ready when needed for our customers.
Apologies if this is too harsh, but from my perspective that is what it looks like.

Mark
Yan, thanks for standing up for what's right. The more I hear about or from Tern, the further I want to stay away.
Old 08-09-17, 03:28 AM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
I recall someone posted the article in one of the forums. It is in Japanese, but google translates. I am busy most of the day, but will try to find it tonight.

Thanks,
Yan
www.kokusen.go.jp/pdf/n-20150917_1.pdf

This one?
Old 08-09-17, 08:58 AM
downtube

Yes that's it. It's hard to read even with google translate. Can anyone explain who made the conclusions? Was it a government body? I recalled someone stated it was the Japanese government, but my memory is not so good ( this is from two years ago )

Thanks,
Yan
Old 08-09-17, 10:36 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by dahoneezz
Thanks very much. Quite a few people injured by the looks of it. Doesn't put me off a Tern bike completely but I'll have to lose some serious weight before I consider one. However its only really the mid range and high end models worth buying, their entry level models look rubbish so I should be safe from buying one unless a bargain comes my way and has me tempted.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8N...ew?usp=sharing
Old 08-09-17, 05:42 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Lapdogs...this channel is full of them. The Brompton lapdogs, the BF lapdogs, the Tern lapdogs. Lapdogs.
you forgot the dahon "lapdogs"?
Old 08-09-17, 05:44 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
Quite a few people injured by the looks of it. Doesn't put me off a Tern bike completely...
what would it take? multiple deaths? i'm sure you realize it's only by amazing luck that that hasn't already occurred.
Old 08-09-17, 07:40 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
I'm actually sorry I purchased a Tern folder,...I pray I don't have a frame failure every time I ride it.
Old 08-09-17, 08:17 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I think ANY Tern without the new extra welding as described by Steve @sweeks should not be ridden at all.
Old 08-09-17, 08:22 PM
downtube

I do know that Tern will defend its IP where necessary.
Mark
This sounds kind of like IBM, Google or Apple. However, the truth is the IP they used against me was worthless since no one ever used anything like it in the bicycle industry. It was developed by Dahon ( patent was submitted and approved for Dahon ). They hold a couple design patents ( design IP is nearly impossible to enforce ), especially when no one uses such poor designs. It didn't stop them from filing a case for patent infringement. Every lawyer I talked to laughed at the claim.....it was that ridiculous. I understand these cases have been filed against more companies than mine. I know of one overseas that conceded to the Plaintiff's demands...without a fight. I have been told there are many more.

Thanks,
Yan
Old 08-09-17, 08:27 PM
downtube

Originally Posted by Mtroup
As a new Tern owner, I find it valuable to have a Tern rep visiting these forums. He stepped up to resolve a problem to the customer's satisfaction, and is harassed and baited for his attention. If for some unfathomable reason, you need to hate on a company (a company of which you are clearly not even a customer), maybe you could at least pretend to be civil, or better yet, ignore the thread, so that us actual customers can benefit from the rep's presence on the forum. Thanks.
I understand your position, and I agree with the question....why all the hate??? There is alot you may not be aware of. I will make a list in the next few days and post here.

Please understand I think all the senior active folding bike forum members ( except Thor ) agree with my position on this matter.....they are considered experts in this field, and that means alot.

Thanks,
Yan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.