Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

"All cyclists will need to fit detection beacons, says cycle industry boss"

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

"All cyclists will need to fit detection beacons, says cycle industry boss"

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-18, 03:17 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
This. And since he doesn't understand what a troll is he likely doesn't even know he is one. A debate is not insults and name calling, but requires some level of logic and direction leading towards a conclusion. A troll has no purpose except to create conflict and discord.
"An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says."

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...BF92&FORM=VIRE
Old 04-01-18, 10:15 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
"An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says."

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...BF92&FORM=VIRE
I've probably seen that one a few hundred times and I still laugh just as hard as the first time I saw it 40 some years ago.
Old 04-01-18, 01:45 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
As always I am amazed by what some people can think up to control other people. IMO it must be some kind of birth defect.
Old 04-01-18, 03:39 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
As always I am amazed by what some people can think up to control other people. IMO it must be some kind of birth defect.
For the people that need to do the controlling or the ones being controlled?
Old 04-01-18, 08:13 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
What is a "SR-22 Blackbird"?
I know what a SR-71 Blackbird is and it is not very stealth.
I also know what a F-22 Raptor is.

SR-22 will file your insurance proof claim over a mobile device? (Look up SR-22)
Old 04-02-18, 06:12 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
What else do we put these devices on? Kid's bikes? Mobility scooters? Push chairs? Skips? Traffic cones? Cat/dog collars? Sheep...?

Is it not right that any moving vehicle should be able to prevent hitting a universal object in it's path..? That's what cars have drivers for - if you are going to remove the driver, the car will have to be able to execute that same function regardless of what that universal object is.

Actually, independent of the AV development there has been thinking about beaconing bridge abutments, constrution barriers, and other things that a car or a driver might bump into at speed.
Old 04-02-18, 07:46 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

The reactions here and on the original blog story are largely talking about AVs. The whole issue has history, going back 15 to 20 years, before AVs were seriously considered a possibility.

Today many cars have Forward Vehicle Collision Warning functions that have trouble detecting cycles and pedestrians. At the time they were designed, the attitude was to proceed with overall collision prevention (aka traffic fatality prevention) by taking the baby steps that technology could enable. The OEMs and sensor companies knew that radar could detect cars and trucks and had trouble with smaller pieces of metal or carbon, humans, and large and small animals (from moose on down). Hence the qualification "Vehicle Collision." Based on the philosophy "it is more morally good to prevent the fatalities that you can prevent, than to not prevent them because you can't prevent them all," standards for such feasible car features were written at ISO and SAE, and carmakers and their suppliers implemented such systems using those standards as models. 15 years ago, these systems had nothing to do with AVs. Beaconing was recognized as a possibility, but good options did not readily exist for beaconing people walking or pedaling.

Additionally, the annual US automotive fatality stats showed several tens of thousands of fatalities due to vehicle-vehicle collisions, and less than 1000 for cyclists. It's pretty straightforward to show the car-car data was pretty comprehesive, but the car-cyclist data is less certain, at least for non-fatal injury collisions (not to say that any such data set is faultless!).

Beacons (microwave DSRC using ODFM or cellular V2x) came out as a concept when it was realized the vehicle external sensors should feed external objects to an in-car database, and that the database could contain walking or cycling people on or near the roadway. If consumers would accept such a solution and system could be designed to be managable across the many components handling data, cars could tell their drivers to take action to avoid hitting pedestrians and cyclists.

Hence the beacons. It is a really difficult sensor problem, to reliably detect and track (without the tracking you cannot calculate a pre-collision path) small metallic objects and non-metalic objects in the presence of many large metallic objects. In other words, the presence of many cars, lampposts, sign poles, and other urban items can partly mask the signals reflected from people and bicycles - in RADAR technology it's called clutter. If a beacon can provide my (as a cyclist) GPS position well enough to infer speed and direction of motion to the database of external object tracks, the car can help its human driver avoid hitting me with more reliability than the Mark 1 eyeballs.

Last edited by Road Fan; 04-02-18 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-02-18, 05:46 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
If a beacon can provide my (as a cyclist) GPS position well enough to infer speed and direction of motion to the database of external object tracks, the car can help its human driver avoid hitting me with more reliability than the Mark 1 eyeballs.
And when the human driver stops using the Mark 1 eyeballs because the car will warn them and you happen to be cycling in a tunnel or heavy forest with no or poor GPS, what happens to the cyclist then?

You did watch how the Uber safety driver handled the situation in the video, correct?
Old 04-02-18, 06:05 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,491 Times in 2,844 Posts
The OEMs and sensor companies knew that radar could detect cars and trucks and had trouble with smaller pieces of metal or carbon, humans, and large and small animals (from moose on down).
Do you have radar speed signs like this where you live?
I have never had one fail to detect me on a bicycle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sign.jpg (119.8 KB, 132 views)
Old 04-02-18, 06:29 PM
Shimagnolo

Another Tesla owner reproduced the situation at the location of the recent fatality.
Watching the LCD display indicates the car loses reference of where the righthand lane markings are at 0:28.
The "gore point" painted on the pavement is missing the white line that should mark the right side of it.
It appears the car was using the stripe along the left side of the gore point as it's left lane edge reference.
Now why the car's radar did not detect the barrier is an open question.

Old 04-02-18, 06:40 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I have; more than once.
Old 04-02-18, 06:45 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Cars have to be able to detect human bodies. Period. On of off a bike, day or night, rain or shine. Period again.
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Until they have to microchip every fox, squirrel, Badger and deer they ain't microchipping me.
concur
Old 04-02-18, 06:50 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Actually your cell phone already does that quite satisfactorily. This ain't 1984.
Not all of us are suckers that carry around cell phone-shaped tracking devices. Some of us purposefully don't own them.
Old 04-02-18, 06:52 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Now why the car's radar did not detect the barrier is an open question.
It’s a closed question.

-mr. bill
Old 04-02-18, 08:07 PM
Road Fan

I have had them fail to detect me. Maybe you live in a low-clutter area.
Old 04-02-18, 08:40 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by CB HI
And when the human driver stops using the Mark 1 eyeballs because the car will warn them and you happen to be cycling in a tunnel or heavy forest with no or poor GPS, what happens to the cyclist then?

You did watch how the Uber safety driver handled the situation in the video, correct?
CB: Yes, I did. I think the car should have slapped or shocked her, recorded and time stamped her responses, and then fired her when returning for work. In my opinion that behavior was completely irresponsible when monitoring the behavior and effectiveness of the so-called "autonomous" system, which appears to be not proven nearly as rigorously as I've come to expect in the auto industry. In commercial aircraft the vehicle monitoring task (what the cockpit crew does continuously to make sure the auto pilot isn't flying them into a mountainside) is regarded as very taxing, and that's for trained, talented, skilled, certified, and experienced air pilots who know the importance of what they are needed to do. Due to increased clutter and lax protocols I'd say the automotive task is more challenging.

The company I worked for developed some of the Warning systems I described and we expanded some of them into an automatic emergency braking system. When we put together a fleet of cars equipped with them, we also equipped them with a camera that watched the driver's face and which had an algorithm that would detect when the driver was inattentive. There were other measures to evaluate the test drivers, as well. It could then take action to alert the driver, such as a sound, pulsing the brake pedal, vibrating the driver seat. An OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer or traditional car company) who contracted us for our driver sensing system (which I actually developed) was free to use however raucous a sensory warning as they saw fit. Clearly Uber did not have such a function active in the vehicle that was being tested.

You recall how Uber had switched off the AV system provided to them by Volvo as part of the car's equipment? We used the same sensing technology as Volvo does in their cars. This further implicates Uber. They should have had the sense to cherry pick which Volvo features they were not going to use, and learned something.

I think the multi-functional driver safety assistance systems on the market from the traditional OEMs (i.e. Ford, GM, Toyota, Subaru, Mercedes and many others) are rather well thought out, compared to what we're seeing on the so-called AV side from the technological world - this includes Tesla IMO. I am impressed at how little such system failure/collision news is apparent from Waymo.

Last edited by Road Fan; 04-02-18 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-02-18, 10:52 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

CB: Yes, I did. I think the car should have slapped or shocked her, recorded and time stamped her responses, and then fired her when returning for work. In my opinion that behavior was completely irresponsible when monitoring the behavior and effectiveness of the so-called "autonomous" system, which appears to be not proven nearly as rigorously as I've come to expect in the auto industry. In commercial aircraft the vehicle monitoring task (what the cockpit crew does continuously to make sure the auto pilot isn't flying them into a mountainside) is regarded as very taxing, and that's for trained, talented, skilled, certified, and experienced air pilots who know the importance of what they are needed to do. Due to increased clutter and lax protocols I'd say the automotive task is more challenging.
Good thing these pilots finally woke up before running out of fuel and unable to return Hilo.
https://www.seattletimes.com/life/tr...oting-airport/
Old 04-02-18, 11:30 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
So, can I buy the beacon on Amazon yet?

I'd rather have one.
Old 04-03-18, 12:49 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by f4rrest

I'd rather have one.
No, but I have one I can sell you, just $50 cash mailed to a UPS box.
Old 04-03-18, 03:06 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I have gotten lost in traffic, though .... the sign picked up passing cars and ignored me on my bike.
Old 04-03-18, 03:19 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Most new cars already have (standard/optional) pedestrian detect technology. No beacons necessary.
Old 04-03-18, 04:19 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest

I'd rather have one.
Of course!

https://www.amazon.com/ECCO-5813A-Ro.../dp/B002ONNTFE
Old 04-03-18, 07:26 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Ok then.

I'll have to make one.
Old 04-03-18, 07:43 AM
Shimagnolo

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have gotten lost in traffic, though .... the sign picked up passing cars and ignored me on my bike.
The speed sign radar is just a simple doppler shift radar;
It does not calculate range, azimuth, or elevation, nor does it try to track multiple targets.
It only detects the speed of the strongest return signal.
So if a vehicle behind you is giving a stronger return, that is the one it will display.
Old 04-03-18, 07:51 AM
BT Driver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give it a little while and they'll have ADS/B transceivers required for use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.