Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Keeping feet warm?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Keeping feet warm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-19, 11:43 AM
Ridingtolive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giving up on clipless for winter - help on good boots

Hi, I have tried lots and I believe my diabetes may contribute to my feet being cold. What I have decided to do is just go with flat pedals (those ones with the little spikes in them) and just get some good winter boots. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good boot that is not too ride invasive. Winter riding for me is not about speed, but just being able to ride in the winter. I just want to get miles in and keep my feet warm, Moosemitts have done the trick for my hands now I need to tackle the feet.

I have used hiking boots with the flat pedals but they are only good for about 5 miles in Michigan winter riding temp ~27 degrees F. Would like to do something that would get me 20 miles - to around ~20F.

Any suggestions would be great.
Old 11-14-19, 12:27 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
I was reminded today of how much of a challenge keeping feet warm is when the temps fall - and I even felt my feet getting cold at 60 degrees F today.

I have put my feet in plastic bags before (like sock linings) inside my shoes to keep the wind from getting through, but the plastic doesn't let my feet breathe.
That can be a problem with just about any shoe that is meant to be water and wind proof. Plastic makes the problem worse but anything that protects your feet from wind will be sweaty.

Another problem area is the soul of my shoes. I use SPD cleats/pedals and the open air, for one, plus the temperature transmission through the cleat, secondly, make the bottoms of my feet hard to to keep warm.
Try aluminum furnace tape. Just about any hardware store should have it. Put it under the insole and it will block the cold from the slots as well as reflect back a little bit of heat. Insulate insole can help as well but they may make summer shoes too tight.

The neoprene shoe "covers" that zip over shoes up to lower legs seem interesting, but they leave the bottoms open for the cleat to attach to the pedal so they do nothing for the bottom insulation - from the open air and conduction from the cleat/pedal. So maybe on the "keeping wind out" front they work well and allow better ventilation/breathabilty than the bag method?
Yep. Shoe covers can get sweaty as well. You eventually learn to deal with it.

Just for the heck of it I have been looking at some "boots" that have SPD cleats. One example is this pair:
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/northwave-himalaya-shoe-mens?skidn=NTW003R-BK-S40&ti=UExQIENhdDpNZW4ncyBNb3VudGFpbiBCaWtlIFNob2VzOjE6NDpjY0NhdDEwMDM0MA==

They seem like decent boots for the price, considering they have cleat mounts.
You may want to look a little further. The velcro closures like on those shoes can be hard to seal and the velcro wears out quickly. That also seems like a steep price for that shoe. There are better prices out there for even that shoe. Take a look at 45NRTH Ragnoroks as well. They aren't quite as warm as some other boots but how cold do you want to ride? I have Lake MX145 that work very well down to about 30°F but aren't super hot when the temperature gets to 55°F or so. I also have a set of Lake MZ303 which are great below 30°F but get hot any warmer than that.

Final tip: Buy the shoes a size larger (or 2) than regular shoes. You want room for extra socks and/or thicker insoles.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-15-19, 12:02 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I've been relying on electric heaters since about 2012. Without them my maximum time outside in the winter is 45 minutes to an hour. It is difficult for me to recommend a specific product at the moment. There are numerous heating methods being used. For older types such as the Hotronics heater I started with, the heating element is concentrated in a small spot. Newer products use inexpensive flexible carbon fiber as the heating element which allows a larger area to be heated. The availability of carbon heated gloves seems to have exploded this season with everybody selling them, but it doesn't look like that is the case with heated insoles yet. What I'm using now is semi-DIY from a discontinued product.

This one on Amazon might be decent for the price.
https://www.amazon.com/Thermrup-Elec.../dp/B07K9ZCG78

Pros:
  • trim to fit portion (unheated) is all at the rear.
  • large heating area.
  • 7.4v 2500 mah batteries (more voltage generally means more heat, many products are 5v)
  • multiple power settings
Cons:
  • battery pack attachment system looks a bit hokey
  • heat appears to be concentrated in the middle of foot, outside of foot might get cold, ideally there would be full width coverage around toe area.
  • might be on the thick side
Another pro would be the battery packs themselves which could be used for a DIY heat project since the controller is built-in. You could get some cheap heat pads from ebay or aliexpress and plug them straight into the battery pack for a custom solution that puts all the heat at the front of the boot. My current setup uses heat pads similar to THESE taped to the front of my insoles, but those specific ones don't have the correct connector. The battery pack for the Amazon insoles is probably a 3.5 x 1.35 dc barrel connector.
Old 11-18-19, 09:46 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thin pair of wool socks, waterproof wool socks and winter boots by Baffin. Keeps me warm when it's well below zero. My feet will sweat no matter the temp so the wool helps keep me warm anyway. The waterproof wool locks in the heat my feet are putting off. For the hands I pick from the ice fishing gloves. Different styles and warmth levels plus all are wind/waterproof. Can be difficult to dry unless you get removable inserts.
Old 11-19-19, 07:59 AM
H.Franco

Bikes: Charlescen

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly you can use waterproof wool socks thats really work
Old 11-20-19, 11:54 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
A big factor in what works is how long your ride is. I used to have a 70-minute ride, and nothing I tried worked on the worst days. I didn't try everything possible, and I might have found a solution if I had stayed at that job. Right now, my commute is 35 minutes, and my feet don't get very cold in that time.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-20-19, 06:33 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Keeping feet warm?
Originally Posted by noglider
A big factor in what works is how long your ride is. I used to have a 70-minute ride, and nothing I tried worked on the worst days. I didn't try everything possible, and I might have found a solution if I had stayed at that job.

Right now, my commute is 35 minutes, and my feet don't get very cold in that time.
I have frequently posted, in this case about fogging eyeglasses, but relevant to other gear winter:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
IME, and from reading numerous posts on the subject, there are three basic methods for preventing fogging, caused by exhaled moist air onto the cold surface of the eyeglasses and goggles:...

That’s why I suggest
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…that any recommendations for winter riding include description of the conditions in which they are employed, i.e. lowest temperature and distance.
I’m not trying to be contrarian about any methods used, but I am zealous because fogging [as well as freezing] is a difficult and dangerous challenge to winter riding, and would keep me off the bike for about 3 to 4 months during the year.
Originally Posted by TuckamoreDew
[of Edmonton, AB] I agree with this.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-20-19 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-22-19, 05:48 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Aerotech's web site has quite a few different types of shoe covers. https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/cycl...oe-covers.html
Old 11-22-19, 06:39 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I was reminded today of how much of a challenge keeping feet warm is when the temps fall - and I even felt my feet getting cold at 60 degrees F today.

I have put my feet in plastic bags before (like sock linings) inside my shoes to keep the wind from getting through, but the plastic doesn't let my feet breathe.

Feet don't really need to breath. But keeping socks dry is critical to maintaining insulating value (unless you are wearing neoprene socks). I push the critical temperature for my regular cycling shoes by 1) using a pair a size larger and 2) using plastic bags both inside and outside my socks. My feet go into produce bags. Then my usual insulating socks. Produce bags and a thin pair of socks over. Liner socks stay dry and work far better.

For below freezing, the 45 North boots work very well and are very good riding. Sadly they do not come in the LOOK 3-bolt pattern so I can only use they with my least used bike/cleats/shoes. I live in Portland, OR which rarely gets "cold" so the Fasterkatt boots (down to 25F) work well for me.

Bah! Posted this a month ago. Sorry.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 11-22-19 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-03-19, 02:02 PM
dougiet

Bikes: 2017 Farly 9.6

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Costco Merino Wool Blend Socks

Cold Weather rides are better with Costco Merino wool blend socks. $14.00 for 2 pairs. They are big enough to slide two pairs on each of my 13-inch 'snowshoes' [feet]!
Old 12-03-19, 02:46 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 119 Posts
Toe warmers
WOOL Socks
Plastics bags
Shake and heat packets
If that doesn`t work, add one more layer of plastic.
If that doesn`t work, Stay Home.
Old 12-07-19, 05:53 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
today was a good day for good boots

Old 12-10-19, 12:58 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
today was a good day for good boots

Which model is that?
Old 12-10-19, 02:17 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Which model is that?
I know they are Columbia, but I'd have to check the model. I got 2 pair for me & my son so we could see a frigid December pro football playoff game 5? years ago. he barely ever wore them again, but I still do!

my foot is technically a 12.5 but I buy size 13 shoes. these boots are size 14 so I can wear 2 pair socks & tape hand warmers to my toes. winter? bring it! I can wear them w/o the chem packs too of course ...

if I remember correctly, they were approx $150 ea. I got the units best for the lowest temps cuz I have virtually no blood circulation in my feet

OK found them - Men's Columbia Sportswear Hiking, Snow Boot NO Steel Toe Size 13 BM 3726-010 2.00 Grams Omni tech

inside label on tongue

outside label on tongue

outside label near ankle

inside label near ankle

embossed printing on sole

found some here

guess this is the latest model "A reenergized update of our cold-weather classic"

they are high but not sure I would call them mid-calf. mine measure approx 9" from floor to top

here are some on Amazon

they also make shorter "
Omni-Heat Hiking Shoes" but I guess they're not "200 gram"?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-10-19 at 06:23 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-10-19, 03:16 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
For me, it's Lake 303's & wool socks for most anything below 40 degrees. On occassion when it's in the teens, noeprene zip up booties over, but that can get to be quite warm, even in the teens.

Has anyone else tried applying tape over the vent holes & using decent insoles in regular summer shoes? Blocking the vents with tape is remarkably effective & cheap from 30-50 degrees, especially with insoles & neoprene booties as weather dictates.

Try it.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 12-12-19, 11:16 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I'm looking at the Fizik X5 Artica Cycling Shoe, but I can't find any shops locally that carry this brand. Shoes are the one thing I hate trying to order online, since they often run large or small. I think I'll go with a half size larger and try that with my warm socks and see if the new insoles I ordered will fit. If they do, the battery powered insoles I'm looking at should fit as well, if it comes to that.
Old 12-12-19, 01:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I found that my cycling shoes have room for me to wear two pairs of socks. It's important not to let the shoes get too tight. And I discovered that wearing a base layer under my pants helps keep my feet warm. Now I am at college in an overheated building, and I'm hot. But at least I wasn't old outside. It's a cold and windy day today. And having the base layer on is pretty inconvenient. It's not so easy to remove it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-14-19, 11:00 AM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
A trick you can try, is to get up your saddle, stretch your legs, and get down again. Then: relax; interrupt your pedaling by letting your legs hang in a straight line (and maybe move your feet and toes a little while your at it), in order to improve the blood flow.
Old 12-14-19, 05:38 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I use platform pedals with insulated winter hiking boots, 1-2 pairs of wool socks + gaiters... That set up has never failed me yet.
Old 12-15-19, 04:12 AM
rivers

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
Winter mountain bike boots. I have a pair of shimano mw5s, and they are brilliant in the cold with a pair of woolie boolie socks. When it's cold and wet, I put a pair of velotoze covers on to keep the rain completely out. Although I can attest they are warn when wet.
Old 12-15-19, 07:15 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
I have been very happy with my pair of Bontrager OMW cycling boots. They have an inner booty and an outer shell that works with SPD cleats. They are much lighter than Lake or 45 North cycling boots, but with merino sock liners and a heavy smartwool oversock, keep my feet warm down to 0 °F without the use of foot warmers and (coldest yet tried) to -13 °F with the foot warmers. The only downside perhaps is that they flex a little bit.

Oh, and they seem to be on sale at Trek for $100. I paid $200last year. Maybe they are being discontinued?

Old 12-15-19, 11:26 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Oh, and they seem to be on sale at Trek for $100. I paid $200last year. Maybe they are being discontinued?

In size 42 only.

Old 12-15-19, 11:29 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I find the mechanics of pedaling seems to restrict blood flow, contributing to cold feet. Probably due to the pressure always being at the front of the foot instead of alternating between front and rear when walking. Sometimes getting off the bike and walking a little can help (not something I typically do). When riding with a group in the winter I do notice that when the group stops for several minutes, just being stopped is enough to help warm the feet. But I don't like stopping in the cold because my upper body cools quickly.
Old 12-16-19, 02:38 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 119 Posts
Also, keeping your Core warm will help keep your hands and feet warm. Possibly adding a insulated vest or wool vest could help keep the feet and hands more comfortable.

https://blog.mapmyrun.com/tips-keeping-hands-feet-warm/

Take care of your core. When your fingers are cold, it’s natural to focus on what you’re wearing on your hands. But don’t neglect the rest of your body, especially your core (torso). Wear warm layers and adjust what you’re wearing based on your activity level and changes in weather (learn more about layering). With a warm core, your body will be able to pump out plenty of heat to your extremities, like fingers and toes.
Likes For roadsnakes:
Old 12-16-19, 10:47 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by roadsnakes
Also, keeping your Core warm will help keep your hands and feet warm. Possibly adding a insulated vest or wool vest could help keep the feet and hands more comfortable.

https://blog.mapmyrun.com/tips-keeping-hands-feet-warm/

Take care of your core. When your fingers are cold, it’s natural to focus on what you’re wearing on your hands. But don’t neglect the rest of your body, especially your core (torso). Wear warm layers and adjust what you’re wearing based on your activity level and changes in weather (learn more about layering). With a warm core, your body will be able to pump out plenty of heat to your extremities, like fingers and toes.
Yes and no. At times previous when I had cold hands or feet, I could be sweating in my core at the same time. I seldom find that my core is cold during a winter ride and over dressing the core tends to be more of a problem than underdressing.

But it is true that one way to warm the hands and feet is just to put out more energy. There have been lots of times when my hands or feet were cold after the first 5 miles, but then after 10, when I was really in a rhythm, the cold went away. Or that cold began to creep in and then I upped my effort and my hands became warm again.

A related point is that you can't forget to keep fueling in the cold. Some times, when your extremeties start complaining, it's time to take out a gel. Personally, I like shot blocks, though I admit they can be mighty hard to chew down at 0°F.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.