Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Help identifying Mercier Bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-19, 08:23 AM
CosminG1

Bikes: Olmo Grand Prix?/Chiorda?/Gitane Sprint 78/79/Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc 14'/

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help identifying Mercier Bike

Old 11-15-19, 08:24 AM
CosminG1

Bikes: Olmo Grand Prix?/Chiorda?/Gitane Sprint 78/79/Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc 14'/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CosminG1

I would really appreciate if you could help me identify this Mercier Bike.
Old 11-15-19, 08:26 AM
CosminG1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This bike has campagnolo gear and it seems weird for a French bike.
Old 11-15-19, 08:29 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
That looks like what in the US would have been marketed as a Mercier 300. The parts seem right. I can't make out the sticker but it looks to be a full Reynolds 531 frame. Also the chrome on the fork and rear triangle suggests a higher end bike. Plus the parts are more or less what would have been sold on a Mercier 300 in the US (stronglight crank perhaps a stronglight 93, tubular wheels with what high flange hubs, mafac brakes).

Better pictures would help in particular of the drive side (so we can see the crank and derailleurs) and a good picture of the tubing sticker.

This looks to be a very good bike.
Old 11-15-19, 08:30 AM
bikemig 

This bike has campagnolo gear and it seems weird for a French bike.
The derailleurs could be aftermarket. The drop out would have to be modified to work with a campy RD but that is not a bad thing. I have a mercier 300 with a rear drop out that has been modified in this way.

Also I'm assuming that these are simplex dropout which is how Mercier 300s were sold in the US. This could be a different drop out though in which case it would not need to be modified to accept a campy RD.
Old 11-15-19, 09:53 AM
CosminG1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
The derailleurs could be aftermarket. The drop out would have to be modified to work with a campy RD but that is not a bad thing. I have a mercier 300 with a rear drop out that has been modified in this way.

Also I'm assuming that these are simplex dropout which is how Mercier 300s were sold in the US. This could be a different drop out though in which case it would not need to be modified to accept a campy RD.
Old 11-15-19, 09:58 AM
bikemig 

This looks to be a Mercier 300. That drop out has been modified as the hanger has been tapped out. In addition a stop should have been created by filing away part of the drop out hanger.

Also a pic of the drive side (showing the crank and derailleurs) as well as the reynolds sticker would be useful.
Old 11-15-19, 10:17 AM
CosminG1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This looks to be a Mercier 300. That drop out has been modified as the hanger has been tapped out. In addition a stop should have been created by filing away part of the drop out hanger.

Also a pic of the drive side (showing the crank and derailleurs) as well as the reynolds sticker would be useful.
Old 11-15-19, 10:18 AM
CosminG1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Will send better pics with the crank.
Old 11-15-19, 10:44 AM
bikemig 

So the Mercier 300 that was sold in the States had a full Reynolds 531 frameset. This bike has a 531 double butted main frame. That is a very good way to build a bike but rear triangle and the fork is likely not as high a quality as Reynolds. In many French bikes, the fork and rear triangle were high tensile steel even though the main frame was Reynolds 531. This is a fine bike. I can't make out the crank but the parts on this bike are good and the condition of the frame looks good.
Old 11-15-19, 10:53 AM
CosminG1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So the Mercier 300 that was sold in the States had a full Reynolds 531 frameset. This bike has a 531 double butted main frame. That is a very good way to build a bike but rear triangle and the fork is likely not as high a quality as Reynolds. In many French bikes, the fork and rear triangle were high tensile steel even though the main frame was Reynolds 531. This is a fine bike. I can't make out the crank but the parts on this bike are good and the condition of the frame looks good.
Thank you for the info, I will be sharing more pics with the crank.
Old 11-15-19, 12:07 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

-----
Old 11-16-19, 04:30 AM
CosminG1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

-----
Can you provide a catalog, I want to know the name of the European version of this bike.
Old 11-16-19, 09:09 AM
CosminG1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 11-16-19, 09:10 AM
CosminG1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 11-16-19, 09:15 AM
bikemig 

Stronglight 93, nice crank. This bike is set up much like a Mercier 300 sold in the US would have been with 2 key differences: this bike has reynolds main frame (not the full frame) and the campy derailleurs which likely were added later given that the bike has simplex drop outs.
Old 02-13-20, 02:16 AM
bfuser191509248

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

-----
juvela seems to have good knowledge of Mercier bikes, but unfortunately never responded to my Mercier topic last summer. Never too late, juvela. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...r-mercier.html

Can you provide a catalog, I want to know the name of the European version of this bike.
Closest I can come is the 1977 catalog (this link and more are in my Mercier topic linked above): https://forum.tontonvelo.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30688

Sorry to reply so late, but I don't visit this forum very often, as a result of the lack of responses to my 2019 topic.
Old 02-16-20, 08:19 PM
CosminG1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JimR56
juvela seems to have good knowledge of Mercier bikes, but unfortunately never responded to my Mercier topic last summer. Never too late, juvela. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...r-mercier.html

Closest I can come is the 1977 catalog (this link and more are in my Mercier topic linked above): https://forum.tontonvelo.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30688

Sorry to reply so late, but I don't visit this forum very often, as a result of the lack of responses to my 2019 topic.
Thank you for your response.
I will be sure to check out the Mercier topic.