Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Are 24 Rim Spokes enough?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-19, 09:58 PM
Ruedi007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are 24 Rim Spokes enough?

Hello!

​​​​​​Looking for a new wheelset for my adventure bike I came across the DT Swiss Gr 1600 (650b customized with a Son Dynamo Hub) . The set seems to fit quite well to my setup but I am not sure whether 24 Spokes are enough since I have heard that on disc brake bikes the force on the wheels might be to high.
Since my bike is about 9 kg without bags I am quite light and ask myself if it is OK to go with 24 Spokes.
What do you think?
Br

P. S. I have meant Rim Spokes in the thread but can not edit it. Sorry for that.

Last edited by Ruedi007; 11-25-19 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 12-18-19, 03:02 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Last I looked Son didn't do 24 hole disc dynamos, so they must feel that it's definitely not enough. Shutter Precision seems to think it's fine though.

If you watch the Lael Wilcox Trans-Am documentary, "I Just Want To Ride My Bike" One of the participants has a Shutter Precision dynamo. I thought it was a Son at first and went digging on the internet. I was wrong & Shutter Precision is quite proud they were in the movie. So, if 24 spokes is good enough for them folks on the Trans-Am...?

I know what I'll be using on my next wheel set
Old 12-18-19, 04:31 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I have a 24 spoke rim brake sp Dynamo wheel and broke a spoke on it during a 400 in 2018, and with a bit of tweaking I made it to the finish. An lbs put in a new spoke and trued the wheel. I did a 600 a day after and it was fine. Have since done 2 more series and PBP without a lick of trouble.
Old 12-19-19, 10:38 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
If you watch the Lael Wilcox Trans-Am documentary, "I Just Want To Ride My Bike" One of the participants has a Shutter Precision dynamo. I thought it was a Son at first and went digging on the internet. I was wrong & Shutter Precision is quite proud they were in the movie. So, if 24 spokes is good enough for them folks on the Trans-Am...?
It doesn't follow that the one on TABR was 24 hole, unless they said it was. All of my SP hubs are 32 hole. With a 24 hole wheel, it's a really good idea to carry a real spoke wrench. A well-built wheel should break spokes, but you never know, and with low spoke count wheels they will go pretty far out of true as a result of a broken spoke. Of course, on a disc brake bike, that might not make as much difference, unless clearances are tight.

I'm very conservative, so I wouldn't do it. I had a horrible experience with a 28 hole wheel, so I'm sticking with 32 holes.
Old 12-19-19, 11:31 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by unterhausen
It doesn't follow that the one on TABR was 24 hole, unless they said it was. All of my SP hubs are 32 hole. With a 24 hole wheel, it's a really good idea to carry a real spoke wrench. A well-built wheel should break spokes, but you never know, and with low spoke count wheels they will go pretty far out of true as a result of a broken spoke. Of course, on a disc brake bike, that might not make as much difference, unless clearances are tight.

I'm very conservative, so I wouldn't do it. I had a horrible experience with a 28 hole wheel, so I'm sticking with 32 holes.
IIRC the guy on the TABR had what looked like ENVE G27 carbon clincher rims. So far as I know they come is 24 hole only.

On my Cervelo, I once popped a spoke on the 24 hole (rear) carbon rim while doing 30mph down a long grade. Surprised as I was to hear a rattle-klattle noise of a loose spoke whipping around until I stopped, it was no big deal. I put the spoke in my pocket & gently rode home. The wheel didn't even rub the brake tracks or seat stays unless I was neglectful.

Carbon is just a stronger, stiffer material overall. I think we are seeing that realization with ever decreasing spoke counts.

Had it been one of my 24 spoke aluminum wheelsets, theres no way it would have worked out to be the non-issue it was. To say I was surprised at what a non-issue it was would be an under statement.

For sure, I agree with you, if using an aluminum rim & you don''t have much in the way of frame clearance, more spokes to keep everything in check is certainly a wise choice.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 12-19-19, 12:13 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Your point about carbon rims is a good one. I assumed the OP was considering an aluminum wheel without checking. But it does appear that the wheel he chose is aluminum. I always thought that the industry was smart enough to beef up rims when they use low spoke count, but I don't think that is true. Everyone has gone to wider rims nowadays, so they should be a bit stiffer
Old 12-19-19, 04:21 PM
c.miller64

Bikes: Cannondale Six13 Pro, Cannondale Synapse, Felt IA10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 3 Posts
I have a 24 spoke SP dyno hub mounted to an Enve disc brake wheel with over 20k miles on it. No issues at with the hub or wheel and has also never needed a truing.
Old 12-20-19, 01:02 AM
siebengang

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last I looked Son didn't do 24 hole disc dynamos
They do, although not all models and colors.

My take on this: As these are somewhat unusual requirements for a set of wheels I would go to a experienced professional wheel builder and let her/him advise and build. In well-designed hand build wheels no spokes will break in normal use (i.e. what they are designed for). All the components play together, and 24 spokes could be enough but only when considering other details (such as rim and hub asymmetry, rim stiffness etc). It is hard to do this without a lot of experience.

Something to read: https://www.cognoscenti-cycles.com/b.../wheel-designs
Old 12-20-19, 07:06 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by siebengang
They do, although not all models and colors.

My take on this: As these are somewhat unusual requirements for a set of wheels I would go to a experienced professional wheel builder and let her/him advise and build. In well-designed hand build wheels no spokes will break in normal use (i.e. what they are designed for). All the components play together, and 24 spokes could be enough but only when considering other details (such as rim and hub asymmetry, rim stiffness etc). It is hard to do this without a lot of experience.

Something to read: https://www.cognoscenti-cycles.com/b.../wheel-designs
If you can find a 24 hole disc Son dynamo, I would be genuinly interested. Either centerlock or 6 bolt would be fine.

I have been on 24 hole disc rims for a few years now & have an older set of Vision Metron 40's that are ripe for an upgrade. I've always had good luck with Son and looked to them first Son on account of brand loyalty, but Shutter Precision to me is an unknown at this point, so is a second choice as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe a Son 28, 24 hole disc isn't available in this market? In which case it may be time to fire up the VPN.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 12-20-19, 07:50 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
If you can find a 24 hole disc Son dynamo, I would be genuinly interested. Either centerlock or 6 bolt would be fine...
https://www.bike-components.de/en/SO...mo-Hub-p24192/
https://www.bike-components.de/en/SO...mo-Hub-p54470/
Old 12-20-19, 08:13 AM
Ruedi007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a lot of research no this topic.

My result is that 24 spokes with dynamo on the front wheel might be a bit week but the force on the front wheel with a total setup of maximum 100kg is ok. It should be

50% bike = ca. 5kg
35% myself and bagpack = 27kg
100% frontbabg = 3kg
50% framebag = ca. 3kg

frontwheel = 38kg

Problem would be force peeks caused by e.g. sharp stones or similar. I counter this with a 47 pathfinder 2less. (If you wonder why I can use 47's. this is the frame: Open U.P.)

Since the kg on the rear wheel will be around 63 kg I will do a 28 spokes setup there. Both (rear and front) spokes will be double butted DT spokes for more robust wheels.

I will also J-Bend since my SON delux 28 center disc 24 holes (linked by Kingston) can only J-Bend and according to my research there is no stability difference between straightpull and J-Bend.

Honestly if I could set it up from scratch I would go with at 28 holes front and rear but since I want to use my SON and do not want to buy a new one I go with the 24. The reason why I would go with 28 is that put in a new spoke on the tour will be more sensitive to the evenness in spoke tension as there are fewer overall spoke. That might cause a problem. I will see.

Luckily a lot of you guys have good longterm experience with 24 so I am confident that my decision is good.

Last edited by Ruedi007; 12-20-19 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-20-19, 09:20 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

All my dynamo wheelsets are 36h. I have battey lights and low-spoke count lightweight wheelsets I can use when I'm concerned about weight. TABR or something similar is about the only use-case I can come up with where I would consider a low-spoke dynamo. Even then I think I'd probably just go with 32h if I were building a wheelset for that event. 8 spokes just don't weigh that much, and I can build a bomb-proof 32h wheel.
Old 12-20-19, 12:12 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruedi007
I did a lot of research no this topic.

My result is that 24 spokes with dynamo on the front wheel might be a bit week but the force on the front wheel with a total setup of maximum 100kg is ok. It should be

50% bike = ca. 5kg
35% myself and bagpack = 27kg
100% frontbabg = 3kg
50% framebag = ca. 3kg

frontwheel = 38kg

Problem would be force peeks caused by e.g. sharp stones or similar. I counter this with a 47 pathfinder 2less. (If you wonder why I can use 47's. this is the frame: Open U.P.)

Since the kg on the rear wheel will be around 63 kg I will do a 28 spokes setup there. Both (rear and front) spokes will be double butted DT spokes for more robust wheels.

I will also J-Bend since my SON delux 28 center disc 24 holes (linked by Kingston) can only J-Bend and according to my research there is no stability difference between straightpull and J-Bend.

Honestly if I could set it up from scratch I would go with at 28 holes front and rear but since I want to use my SON and do not want to buy a new one I go with the 24. The reason why I would go with 28 is that put in a new spoke on the tour will be more sensitive to the evenness in spoke tension as there are fewer overall spoke. That might cause a problem. I will see.

Luckily a lot of you guys have good longterm experience with 24 so I am confident that my decision is good.
On paper, 24 spokes could be enough. There would always be 2-3 spokes supporting the load, and at 80+ kgf each, there's margin for downhill braking, small potholes, etc. I would start to be a little concerned about lateral stability when combining this with a narrow front hub, though.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-20-19, 01:33 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Wow! So close! That second link is indeed centerlock disk 24 hole. It's 12mm thru axle though. I'm on QR. But it's awesome to know they are on the ball with meeting market demand.

Link saved for future.
Thanks

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 12-20-19, 02:07 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Wow! So close! That second link is indeed centerlock disk 24 hole. It's 12mm thru axle though. I'm on QR. But it's awesome to know they are on the ball with meeting market demand.

Link saved for future.
Thanks
you could always get an adapter.

bike24.com also has son hubs. Check there too.
Old 12-22-19, 03:39 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,454 Times in 1,430 Posts
Low spoke wheels work just as well as high spoke wheels, but not for as long.

I had a 24-spoke rear wheel. I received it as a gift. I didn't expect it to last long. I commuted on it. A spoke pulled through the rim after about three years. I replaced the wheel with one with 32 spokes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-24-19, 12:52 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
It depends on the rim and one's weight. I ride 23mm X 28mm rims, 24 in the rear, 20 radial in front. CX-Ray spokes, rim brakes. Works great. 145-150 lbs. I built the wheels, used a TM-1. I build all our wheels. Using heavy spokes on a low count wheel is a big mistake.