Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Rear suspension cruiser?

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Rear suspension cruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-19, 11:01 AM
suncruiser

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Rear suspension cruiser?

Was scrolling through FB today and came across this. Has anyone here seen or ridden one? What are y'alls thoughts?
Old 12-18-19, 01:50 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Looks neat and hate to be critical, but that "shock" looks like spring-only, so expect pogostick ride.
Old 12-18-19, 03:47 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Unless you have some kind of spinal issue that warrants something like that I cant imagine there would really be a need for it. I think could take 10psi out of my tires from 55-45 and probably get 90% of the same effect without the complication of that frame design and the rest with a good seat.

That said. I would rather support that guy than a local Walmart and for $200 it looks like you get a nice bike and for $250 you can get a semi stretched frame.

I wonder how it would ride with a Monarch Springer and a nice Brooks with the double sprung seat. Thinking about it, it sounds like a pretty cool idea.

Last edited by JehD; 12-18-19 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-18-19, 06:36 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by JehD

I wonder how it would ride with a Monarch Springer and a nice Brooks with the double sprung seat. Thinking about it, it sounds like a pretty cool idea.
"Like a rubber ball you'll come bouncing baaack to me....bouncy bouncy...bouncy bouncy....."
Old 12-18-19, 07:23 PM
Nighttrain

Bikes: Pinarello Prince that's cracked at the bb weld

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
That’s a funky looking frame without the seatstays. Maybe add linkage to the shock design to dampen the rebound? Like the green color.
Old 12-18-19, 08:16 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Won't there be slack in the chain when the spring compresses?

Never mind. Upon closer examination, I see the pivot is ahead of the bottom bracket.
Old 12-19-19, 12:17 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Weird seeing rear only. I can't imagine that being a nice ride nomatter the setup. I remember a while back seeing a cruiser that looked like one of the old fancy ornate looking cantilevered frames from the 50s with a springer fork and a rear shock similar to what an Eddie Baurer has on it.
Old 12-19-19, 09:28 AM
Philphine

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by JehD
Unless you have some kind of spinal issue that warrants something like that I cant imagine there would really be a need for it. I think could take 10psi out of my tires from 55-45 and probably get 90% of the same effect without the complication of that frame design and the rest with a good seat.

That said. I would rather support that guy than a local Walmart and for $200 it looks like you get a nice bike and for $250 you can get a semi stretched frame.

i've made myself full suspension stretch cruisers. i just like the idea of how plush a ride i can make. if the bike in the original post is steel and i could pick up one cheap it would meet my sawzall.